Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Page 1 of 3   1   2 3 >

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 12-13-2010

Smile Which wax gives the best Shine for Bright Silver Cars?

Good Morning, as I am getting more addicted/learning to detailing cars, I'm getting pickier and pickier.

I've been using ultimate wax system on the black honda S2000 and it gave a brilliant shine that I have never seen. And I tried to use the ultimat wax system on a brsnd new hyundai sonata bright silver and it didn't shine as much as the black vehicle. Is there a such a product just built to shine, brilliant shine to a bright silver vehicle?
Old 12-13-2010
Administrator

Default Re: Which wax gives the best Shine for Bright Silver Cars?

Welcome to Wax Forum!

Reflective properties of the two colors are very different, so it is not surprising that you might see a difference in how the wax products look from one to the other. Silver and light colors don't always pop like darker colors.

It may also be that the finish on the S2000 is smoother, and there may perhaps be a little more orange peel on the Sonata -- just a guess.

This is assuming the paint condition of the Sonata is good -- meaning there are no spiderwebbing/swirls/etc., and it has been clayed properly (even new vehicles generally benefit from clay).

What we would recommend first off is to add a product like our FX Spray Wax into your routine -- it's great to use after a wash and during the final drying step. It will easily add some gloss as well as protection and might give you the pop you're looking for. Apply it with a soft microfiber detailing towel just like you would our Showtime Instant Detailer. Use it on your wheels, too, after you've done the rest of the body.

If that doesn't satisfy your needs, and since the Ultimate Wax System is likely a bit overkill on a light color like silver, you might try our FX SynWax paste next time you have to wax -- between that and the FX Spray Wax, you should get a deep, wet look and with much less effort. You might also try it on the S2000 for maintenance, too.

How To: Clay Bar

How To: Wax by Hand Using FX SynWax Paste:

How To: Wax with PowerBall 4Paint with FX SynWax Paste:

By the way, you can also use the PowerBall 4Paint to apply your Ultimate Wax System products -- just disassemble the ball and flip it for the Steps 1 and 2 (California Gold Pre-Wax Cleaner and Sealer & Glaze), then wash it before using Pure Carnauba Wax or apply it by hand.

How To: Use an Instant Detailer or Spray Wax

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 12-13-2010

Talking Re: Which wax gives the best Shine for Bright Silver Cars?

O wow thx for your quick response. I use random orbital portal cable 7424XP. I'm not sure what orange peel is >< but sonata has very deep shine glass looking paint job on it. So out of all types of wax(reflection, sealer/glaze/pure carnauba, fx synwax) you think synwax is the best choice on silver cars? I used turtle wax ice before and I was satisfied with the shine but wax was very difficult to buff off. If anybody is looking to buy ice for a black vehicle I don't recommand it at all, blemishes all over the paint.

And yes I did all the claying before applying the ultimate wax system Step123. On honda S2000 it took 12 hours to detail the whole thing including 3m rubbing compound job.
Old 12-13-2010
Administrator

What pads were you using to apply the various steps on the Porter-Cable?

It is difficult to say from here what you are finding unsatisfactory with your results, but knowing the process might be helpful to provide you with some tips.

Old 12-13-2010

I used chemical guys' Hex logic pads. I used white pad with cleaner wax step 1, black pad with sealer and glaze and used applicator for pure carnauba. I am more than satisfied on the S2000. Let's just say I was expecting more shine than the turtle ice, but it didn't. I use most of mothers product to detail my car and I can say I am very satisfied and I am your forever customer. Just find me a product for silver deep shine plz lol
Old 12-13-2010
Administrator

Thank you for the additional information.

FX Spray Wax would be a good thing to use for both cars after a wash, so see if that adds enough bling.

Orange peel is the textured surface of the paint itself -- some cars have more than others, and usually a car like the S2000 will tend to have less. Orange peel may be giving you some of the visual effect, but also the Pure Carnauba Wax on silver may be taking a bit of the bling away. If it looked great after Sealer & Glaze, but a little muted after the Pure Carnauba Wax, then you might try the FX SynWax next time you are due for a maintenance application -- say, in 4-8 weeks.

Old 12-13-2010

New cars like Toyota, Hyundai, Honda etc.. brands tends to have a nic orange peel. My mother have a 3 months old Toyota Yaris car and have this orange peel that the wax pop it up and is more visible. Not a bad thing if you like that new car look but if you want extreme shine, gloss, wetness and deepness you need to polish the paint to get it flat. That is a costly process made by professionals. Still if you want gloss without all that you only need to make the porcess shown by the Admin. No use rubbing compound on new paint. It not is made for new cars with excelent new paintjob. For that color (like my mother car) and orange peel texture you cant make munch. If you really want it to have a high gloss you need to professional polish it. In my mother Yaris I used Ice and then reflections over it. The cars is more shiny and glossy but not that gloss like magazine cars. It is easy, flat surface is a shiny gloss surface, wax looks better (the difference) on old paintjobs because is difficult that new car shine more that a new paintjob only with wax. I just use wax on my mother car to protect the paint and to have a easy wash and dry. The car shines without wax, only clean, so you know. I still want to know if Synwax is better that carnauba on new cars with bright colors.
Old 12-13-2010

my mother Toyota Yaris

Old 12-13-2010

Unless the silver has marring that reduces the shine, I would recommend using just FX without anything else for maximum bling.
Old 12-14-2010

FX Paste wax or Reflections car wax without the Top Coat. FX SynWax liquid while easy to use and gives a bright if not brightest shine, the paint (to me) looks flat, not much depth. Reflections will give that bright look, but with (carnauba-like) depth. This can accentuate the darker hues of the your metallic paint.
Old 12-14-2010
Administrator

I think the consensus is FX SynWax. It's easy to apply and easy to remove, and provides a wet look.

I would suggest the paste, which comes with its own foam applicator, but the liquid is great, too. They are subtly different, but both are easy to use in sun or shade, and without chalking. Both should be available at your local Pep Boys; the liquid can be found OSH Orchard Supply Hardware and O'Reilly/Kragen there in San Diego; all of the above also have the FX Spray Wax, which is highly recommended for routine use.

Old 12-14-2010

Yep, the winner here is the FX synwax. The paste version should be more economical (but with just a slight trade off in ease of use). I would suggest buying 1 or 2 extra foam applicators plus the FX spray wax. With the FX spray/paste wax package, your shine will last a loooong time.
Old 12-14-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffboy View Post
Yep, the winner here is the FX synwax. The paste version should be more economical (but with just a slight trade off in ease of use). I would suggest buying 1 or 2 extra foam applicators plus the FX spray wax. With the FX spray/paste wax package, your shine will last a loooong time.
There is no "slight trade off in ease of use" -- using FX SynWax pre-softened paste is a breeze, and the included applicator is all you should need.

Old 12-14-2010

I have to be honest, i've never tried the the paste version. I shouldn't have based that assumption on other paste waxes i've used. But man, I have to thank you for making one of the most (if not the most) ridiculously easy to use waxes.. I've never used a wax that almost falls off the paint when buffed off.

The reason why i suggested the extra foam applicators is because i do get careless on some occassions when waxing. So i just use mt extra applicators in place of the one i may have soiled, and if the previous applicator gets overused for some reason, i have a couple lying around ready for use.
Old 12-14-2010

i used FX Synwax paste on my white SUV and it's very easy to use... i've dampen the foam applicator before applying the wax for the first time and after 2 or 3 days, i really saw what "bond to paint" looks like.. i just use the FX Spray Wax after each car wash...

now i'm planning to add Top Coat as my LSP, hope it will make a difference, i have to see the effect myself on top of the benefit of having a "sacrificial layer"... anyone who did use FX Synwax and layered it with Top Coat, what are your thoughts guys? TIA
Old 12-15-2010

Ah, i've tried that combo before and i personally like it. Reflections top coat will boost the protection of the fx wax but will change its look. FX has a bright, reflective, glossy look that can make bright colors pop and make metallic paint flakes really come alive. The reflections top coat will tone down that brightness and overall Pop of the paint. It will look a bit thicker, metallic flakes will be muted a bit but the darker metallic tones of the paint will be enhanced. Top coat will make the paint look wetter and rich, but not as glossy and bright as the stand alone FX treatment. It won;t make the look of your car bad, your car will still look shiny. It will change, however, the "kind of shine" your car has.

Give it a shot, its worth a try. Just think a bout the kind of shine you want. Look at your FX treated car and asses if you are happy with the shine. If you want more protection and are willing to compromise the glossiness a tad, reflections top coat is the way to go!
Old 12-15-2010

Dampen the applicator? i thought water (if thats what you used to moisten the applicator) will disrupt the wax bonding to the paint since FX is a synthetic polymer. Its just me being paranoid.. I do wonder how the paste FX compares to NXT 2.0 in terms of ease of application and removal
Old 12-15-2010

@ffboy: thanks for the inputs... i use the fx spray wax to dampen the applicator pad before applying the fx paste wax to avoid any scratch since the applicator is still dry... it's very easy to apply, i work on an area of about 1' x 1' and put a very thin layer and make sure that i cover all the areas by hand... also easy to buff, no dust or streaking...

i cannot comment of NXT 2.0 as i never used the product, but compared to Step 3, FX Synwax is way ahead in ease of application and removal...
Old 12-15-2010

in your experience using the FX Synwax & Top Coat combo, did you notice which is better in repelling dust, synwax alone or with top coat? i like the synwax now compared to pure carnauba, as the car attracts more dust using the latter...
Old 12-15-2010

Maybe just a bit, the difference in the way it attracts dust (reflection top coat vs. FX) is very small. I know where your getting at, i've used other carnaubas before. Yes, the depth and wet look-ness is great but it does attract dust. Reflections isn't as bad as the carnauba. Its all good!
 Page 1 of 3   1   2 3 >