Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 08-26-2010

Default how long does it take to 'dry to a haze'?

Hello,

I was wondering how long you should leave the polish or wax on before removing it? Some places say one or two minutes and others say around 20 minutes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Brandon
Old 08-26-2010
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: how long does it take to 'dry to a haze'?

As soon as it hazes over/dries, remove it. If you rub with your finger and it smears, it's not dry yet. If it wipes away, it's dry.

The amount of time will depend on temperature, humidity and the color of your socks......
Old 08-26-2010

thanks that's a great tip, time wise though are we closer to a minute or twenty?
Old 08-26-2010
Mothers® Polish

As I said, it depends on temperature and humidity. In the basic "summer" season, it would be closer to a minute than 20.
Old 08-26-2010

got it thx
Old 08-26-2010
Administrator

Keep in mind that the "rub" really should be a quick, light swipe.

With the ultimate wax system or a carnauba product, it's more important to remove before the product dries too long; for Reflections Car Wax or FX SynWax, it's less of a concern.

Check out this video for other helpful tips...

Old 08-26-2010

Keep in mind that different products have different times to reach that haze level, which only adds to the many variables, and the ambient air temperature is the biggest factor here with all products.

Work in the cool(ish) shade on cool panels is the best advice.

This might seem anal I suppose, but after working with different products, I actually applied each product (when I did get around to using that product) and then just watched as it went through the process to reach that haze, so I could be more aware of the time and what to look for, and that then showed me the different 'looks' at that haze point.

The rule of thumb is the wipe test, but a good indicator is that it looks like soft clouds do. Let it go until it turns white and it's gone too far.
The haze for pure Carnauba liquid is even different than the haze for pure Carnauba Paste, so again, it's a watching brief.

I work in small panels, and an example would be the roof of your car. That would be four panels. I work my way around the car, breaking the work up into those similar sized panels.

With most products I will apply to one panel, apply then to a second panel, then go back and remove the first, apply to the third, remove the second and so on as I work my way around the car.

In the cooler months, and with some products I can work three panels up before removing the first, while in the warmer months with the same product, it is barely two panels.

The best advice here is thin thin thin. Keep the product application as thin as you can. Keep in mind that all that is left after you wipe any product off is the thinnest of shells, so if you apply it thick, then all that extra is just wiped off anyway, and if you do apply it thick and let it go too long, it then becomes significantly more difficult to remove. If you have left a thick coat too long, then a spray of Showtime or going over that same area with the same product again will ease the removal.

So, cool shaded area on cool panels and thin applications. The rule of thumb for one product will not be the rule of thumb for another. It 'may' actually sound complicated, but after doing the work a few times, you get used to it, and it then becomes routine, without even thinking about it.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.

Tags
drying time, polish, wax