Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Tire & Wheel Care

Tire & Wheel Care Whether you have hubcaps, clearcoated factory alloy, or custom wheels worth thousands, you'll want them to look their best. Metal polishing is also discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 10-10-2008

Default ARE THESE REPAIRABLE (pics)

Hello,this is my first post. I tried searching for a post with pics close to what mine look like,but couldn't find any. If there was one and I missed it,I apologize. These are on my '98 K1500 with 185k miles on her. She still has that showroom shine.....except for the wheels
I'm thinking this is happening because I run it through a brushless carwash in the winter months. Funny thing though,these pics are from the right side wheels,left sides have it too but aren't near as bad. I've tried Mothers Plastic Polish and even white vinegar,with no noticeable improvement.
I would greatly appreciate some expert advice on this problem.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheels 002.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	602.5 KB
ID:	1249   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheels 005.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	675.9 KB
ID:	1250  
Old 10-11-2008

Default Re: ARE THESE REPAIRABLE (pics)

I would try Mag & Aluminum Polish. That should make them look better.

And Welcome to the Form.
Old 10-11-2008
Administrator

Yes, welcome to Wax Forum!

Mag & Aluminum Polish would not generally be recommended because it will remove clearcoat if applied aggressively enough, or repeatedly.

You do have a clearcoat on those wheels from the factory, and it is indeed damaged, possibly beyond repair. This may have happened from harsh winter weather and road salts or car wash chemicals -- or simple neglect -- either could have permeated the finish to the point where it will be near impossible to polish enough to remove the stains without compromising the clearcoat.

If you didn't try Plastic Polish with a PowerBall Mini, try that. You could try a pure paint polish like our Scratch Remover or a polishing compound safe for clearcoats.

With those options exhausted and if little or no progress has been made, you are likely faced with refinishing. At that point you might decide to try the Mag & Aluminum Polish because you have little to lose -- blotchy, unsightly wheels or risking removal of the clearcoat which will require periodic polishing.

The decision, however, will have to be up to you.

The Mag & Aluminum Polish is aggressive enough to cut quite a bit and it may remove enough of the clearcoat so that it does clean up and appear shiny; it may also remove all of the clearcoat, so be careful.

One challenge are the inserts painted in an accent color in the rough cast surfaces, so how you want them to look in the end may force you to take a certain course of action -- you might decide to chemically strip the wheels and refinish them like factory, or just keep them bare, or have a shop refinish them for you at the cost of about $100 each.
Old 10-14-2008

OMG....these rims look exactly like mine. Same problem. Thanks for the CORRECT answer. Mine are damaged from misinformation from ORiley Auto parts. So do not think you can get a correct answer just because someone handles the product. I showed them my rims and told them they were original. They walked me over and picked out the mag and aluminum cleaner. I used it. I should have gone online FIRST to MOTHER'S and asked them first hand. Hindsight!! I'm loving this forum, thanks again.
Closed Thread