Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 10-05-2007

Default cleaning vinyl stripes

About a year ago I had a set of black vinyl racing stripes installed on my mustang and now I am noticing some staining on the stripes. Is there any way to clean them and bring them back to a like-new appearance?
Old 10-06-2007

Default Re: cleaning vinyl stripes

satnslvr05,

From what I've learned in this forum, you can use Mothers Carpet/Upholstery Cleanerto clean the stripes. From there it'll have a matte finish. If you're looking to add shine, follow it up with Mothers Protectant.

Good Luck!

Grabby

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Old 10-06-2007

Thumbs up Re: cleaning vinyl stripes

No kidding, carpet cleaner on vinyl stripes?? I would have never thought of that! I don't mind the matte finish, but perhaps I may shine them up a bit. Are there any concerns about the paint surfaces next to the stripes when using the carpet cleaner? Thanks for your help!
Old 10-06-2007
Administrator

satnslvr05,

Knowing what you've been using on the stripes as well as the paint thus far might be helpful.

If you're not sure of the source of the spots, our Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner would be fine... spray it on a soft cloth and work up to a gentle brush if necessary -- be sure to spray the cleaner on the cloth or brush; not on the car. Apply a nice coat of wax afterwards.

(Note to grabby: this is a good technique to use on wax-stained trim as well.)

It's possible you may need to clean and polish the stripes with a "mechanical" cleaner, like that you might use on your paint. Test in an inconspicuous area, first, but you should be able to use most of our paint products including Pre-Wax Cleaner, Sealer & Glaze, Pure Carnauba Wax, Carnauba Cleaner Wax, and so on, on your stripes; clay it, too -- just avoid going against the edge to prevent possible damage.

If you've got really stubborn stains, you might even try our Plastic Polish, but always proceed with caution as attempting to fix something as sensitive as stripes may be asking for trouble... so depending on the stubbornness of the spots, you may just want to live with them.

Of course, we generally say start with the least-aggressive method first.

We do have a lot of guys using FX SynWax on their Mustangs with stripes because the SynWax is easy to work with and is more forgiving should you miss some product along the edge of the stripe.

And before I forget again, Welcome to Wax Forum!
Old 10-06-2007

Let us know how it works out for you. Thanks
Old 10-06-2007

admin,

I recommended Mothers Carpet/Upholstery Cleaner since you said on my other post of the product's other uses you included that it also works in cleaning vinyl.

A question though as I've never seen vinyl stripes on a Stang, are the strips porous vinyl or smooth? I'm under the impression that the vinyl is somewhat porous like most interior vinyl trims.

Thanks

Grabby

Old 10-07-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabby View Post
admin,

I recommended Mothers Carpet/Upholstery Cleaner since you said on my other post of the product's other uses you included that it also works in cleaning vinyl.

A question though as I've never seen vinyl stripes on a Stang, are the strips porous vinyl or smooth? I'm under the impression that the vinyl is somewhat porous like most interior vinyl trims.

Thanks

Grabby
The stripes became wildly popular on 2005 to curent models, as they give the new body style an aggressive retro look. They are available from the factory or dealer as well as various aftermarket sources, but they would all be somewhat porous -- just the flat finishes would be more porous than the semi-gloss or gloss finishes.

One can use "mechanical" cleaner products such as Pre-Wax Cleaner, but they may tend to look chalky if not removed properly, which is why "chemical" cleaners like Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner or a synthetic product like FX SynWax would be preferred on a broader range of exterior vinyl stripe materials.

I'd really rather see a good close-up photo of the problem areas, though I think satnslvr05 will need to experiment a little since we don't know the cause of the spots.

It might be that if the spots are from a bird dropping having damaged the vinyl that he can only minimize their appearance, and perhaps some wax or a vinyl protectant would be the best choice to maintain them and help hide the damage once they're cleaned-up.

Much of satnslvr05's approach will be what works best for him and how he likes his stripes to look.
Old 10-07-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
The stripes became wildly popular on 2005 to curent models, as they give the new body style an aggressive retro look. They are available from the factory or dealer as well as various aftermarket sources, but they would all be somewhat porous -- just the flat finishes would be more porous than the semi-gloss or gloss finishes.

One can use "mechanical" cleaner products such as Pre-Wax Cleaner, but they may tend to look chalky if not removed properly, which is why "chemical" cleaners like Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner or a synthetic product like FX SynWax would be preferred on a broader range of exterior vinyl stripe materials.

I'd really rather see a good close-up photo of the problem areas, though I think satnslvr05 will need to experiment a little since we don't know the cause of the spots.

It might be that if the spots are from a bird dropping having damaged the vinyl that he can only minimize their appearance, and perhaps some wax or a vinyl protectant would be the best choice to maintain them and help hide the damage once they're cleaned-up.

Much of satnslvr05's approach will be what works best for him and how he likes his stripes to look.
Admin,

Since we're in the you're talking about damaged vinyl, might as well have a go at it concerning my Miata's Vinyl Soft Convertible Top. I recently removed my hard top since the weather is getting better and I want a go at going convertible. I want to to know how to protect my vinyl soft top from tree sap and bird droppings. Will the protectant help out?

Thanks

Grabby

Old 10-07-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabby View Post
Admin,

Since we're in the you're talking about damaged vinyl, might as well have a go at it concerning my Miata's Vinyl Soft Convertible Top. I recently removed my hard top since the weather is getting better and I want a go at going convertible. I want to to know how to protect my vinyl soft top from tree sap and bird droppings. Will the protectant help out?

Thanks

Grabby
Our Protectant would be an excellent choice.

You'll also do good by not stowing your top down while it's dirty, and try to keep it up at night or if it's sitting for extended periods while you're not using it -- the folds and friction can tend to embed any soil.

Basically, keep it clean and protected, but enjoy it down as much as you can!
Old 10-07-2007

Thanks everybody for all your help and advice. I will post some pics here in a day or two of the areas that I am particularly concerned with. The stains are mostly from rain and a few of them are from bird droppings. I currently use the Mothers three step process on the paint and then go over the entire car (stripes included) with a coat or two of Top Coat. This combination gives me the best results on the paint. The stripes, on the other hand, can be a bit difficult. I hve clayed them before and I use blue painters tape to take them off when applying other products to the paint. I am going to try the carpet cleaner method first and see where that takes me. One other question, would back-to-black be another product I might want to consider using? Vinyl is plastic.
Old 10-07-2007
Administrator

You could certainly try Back-to-Black, but its cleaning properties are incidental to its main purpose -- which is rejuvenating faded finishes. But it might be a nice choice to mask some dullness that may be caused by the spots in question.