Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 09-28-2007

Default Random Orbital Buffer

I have a Random Orbital Buffer I purchased at Sears years ago. If I purchase good MF bonnets - do you guys recommend using the buffer.....or scrap it and do the car by hand.
I have a brand new white Camry and sure don't want to get swirl marks so if it means waxing by hand to get the best results.....so be it. However if using the buffer will make the waxing easier / better - that would be nice.
Give your opinions. Thanks guys.
Old 09-28-2007

Default Re: Random Orbital Buffer

cindynemm,

Here's my two cents.

I'm not at all familiar with regular orbital polishers that come with bonnets but if you're sure that what you're getting are quality microfiber bonnets then go for it.

It'll help you apply the product and spread it evenly. You could also use it to buff the surface using another bonnet but most of us guys here prefer to buff the wax by hand.

One thing to keep in mind though is that these machines are not designed for removing defects like swirl marks. For that you'll need a better orbital polisher like the Porter Cable 7424 or a rotary polisher like the Makita 9220c but let's not get in to that right now.

The best you could get out of your orbital is using it to apply wax. It'll save you around twenty minutes during your waxing process.

Be sure to keep the pressure light as you are just spreading the wax and not removing defects. This will also help in avoiding swirl marks.

Grabby

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Old 09-28-2007
Administrator

Default Re: Random Orbital Buffer

Unless you try really hard, you won't introduce any marring.

These buffers are basically liquid wax applicators, and for that they're just fine. If you opt for paste, just use a spatula or plastic putty knife to apply product to the buffing pad.

Some of these buffers were up to 10-3/4" in size -- so you've got a much larger area to which you can apply wax with than by hand. But keep in mind that you'll need to apply by hand where the large buffer surface can't reach.

Inspect your buffer and imagine guiding it across the surface of your new Camry and establish whether or not you want to invest in some bonnets. You can certainly use the terry bonnets that it probably came with, or even get the foam or microfiber depending on what's available for that size -- for a one-step product, either one will do just fine.

Whether or not to use it is really up to you.