Post Thanks / Like

Question Lanolin: good or bad

Hi guys, is lanolin good or bad for leather car seats? Manufacturer`s informations are confusing. Some put it in their leather care product, while other condone it`s use on leather seats. What gives? Good or bad? Thanks!!:huh :newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Lanolin is great for leather car seats BUT the jury is still out on if it`s good for leather seats with a clear coat on them.

The culprit to look out for is "neetsfoot oil". I believe, if my brain is correct here, that neetsfoot oil is the carrier (of sorts) of the lanolin but the neetsfootoil can cause damage, if allowed to sit, to the seats stitching.

To see if you have clear coated seats try the water drop test. First clean your seat with a leather cleaner and then with an eyedropper filled with water squeeze out a single drop onto the cleaned leather and watch to see if it beads up or if it soaks in. If it beads up then you most likely have cleared leather. If so then use something like "303" or better yet try the Klasse Leather/Vinyl Protectant. You can get some from the Detail City store. Great stuff!

If the water drop soaks in then more likely than not you have non-cleared leather seats and the best conditioner I have used is Platinums Leather conditioner which can also be bought at the Detail City store.

Most domestic cars come out of the factory with cleared seats while most imports, at least from Europe, come non-cleared.

If you are a home mixologist then you can mix up your own home leather conditioner that many enthusiasts swear by. Mix up a 50/50 batch of neetsfoot oil and anhydrous lanolin. puor a small amount of the mixture onto a sponge and just work it into a small area real well and buff it out. It might take you 20 minutes to do each seat but I am told it is the best.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank for that great info Anthony! Much appreciated!

Thread Information