Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-20-2007

Default how to clean your polishing pads?

I was curious how you folks clean your polishing pads once your done? I can't ever seem to get them clean.

thanks.
Old 06-20-2007

Smile Re: how to clean your polishing pads?

You know, typically, after I'm done with all my microfiber towels, polishing pads/applicators and my shaggy wash mitt...I just throw everything in the washer and add some Tide.

Then I just hang dry everything. Seems to work for me.
Old 06-20-2007
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: how to clean your polishing pads?

For velcro backed pads like those used on the Porter Cable 7424, I wash with warm water and Dawn dishwashing liquid.

Rinse well and let them dry.

For microfiber, I wash in warm water, liquid detergent, and an extra rinse. Dry on low tumble or air fluff after line drying. No fabric softener in the washer or dryer.
Old 06-20-2007

buck.
I'm not all that clear on what you refer to with regard to polishing pads. If it's for a buffing tool, then Forrest is the RLE on that front, so I'd do whatever he suggests.

If you're referring to ordinary microfibre polishing cloths, then I'd also do as he suggests.

We live in one of those houses where the laundry is part of the garage, you know, one of those space saving things that a man has suggested, and then designed as a thing so you can have more internal room, without taking regard for what women really want, a separate laundry on its own.
To that end, when I've finished 'doing' the car, it's just a short trip to the sink to wash the applicators and polishing cloths.
I'll half fill the sink with water just on the hot side of warm, but not too hot. While it's filling, I'll add a few squirts from the soap bottle at the side of the sink. It's not dish soap or laundry soap, just a cheap refill of hand soap available from any supermarket. The flowing water froths it up, and I wash the polishing cloths first, by hand in this warm soapy water. I usually have three and sometimes four cloths, so after each one, I put them aside and move onto the next one.
Once they are finished, I then do the applicators. I'll use one squirt of the soap directly onto the small yellow round foam applicator, and then squeeze it in and out a few times and then do the same squeezing thing under the soapy water until the product is removed and you can see when that happens. Once the three applicators are done, I empty the sink, wiping clean the scum around the edge, and then half fill it with just warm water.
I'll then rinse the cloths one at a time in the warm water, and then the applicators.
Empty the sink out and with just the cold water flowing from the tap, each cloth and applicator gets one more rinse.
The applicators I just let stand in the air overnight and then put them away in the morning.
The cloths I then hang over the rack on the front of the clothes dryer. In summer, they'll just dry overnight, inside the garage. In the colder weather, the exhaust from the dryer while it's drying the days wash helps to dry the cloths.
As Forrest suggests, do not ever use fabric softener, and as an added precaution, don't hang them out to dry in direct sunlight. Also, if you put the cloths in the dryer, then only use the WARM function, and do not dry them in the dryer on HOT.
I leave the cloths on the rack overnight, and next morning, if dry, and they always have been so far, then I'll fold them up and put them away.

Tony.

Edit. RLE = Resident Local Expert.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 06-21-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T. View Post
For velcro backed pads like those used on the Porter Cable 7424, I wash with warm water and Dawn dishwashing liquid.

For microfiber, I wash in warm water, liquid detergent, and an extra rinse. Dry on low tumble or air fluff after line drying. No fabric softener in the washer or dryer.
I do exactly the same, except I find hot water works better for me with MF without damaging them.

Handwashing polishing pads with dish soap works extremely well and preserves the life of the glue holding the velcro to the pad.

"The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart
Old 06-21-2007

I have been noticing on other forums that other people clean their pads on the fly when their pads gum up during machine polishing. How does one exactly clean pads on the fly?
Old 06-21-2007
Mothers® Polish

Cleaning pads "on the fly" is done for rotary machine pads, not dual action pads.
Old 06-21-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T. View Post
.......... I wash with warm water and Dawn dishwashing liquid.

ah...I never thought about dawn
I use mild hand soap and warm water and I rub the wax/grease off by hands.
The dehumidifier will dry them off.
Old 06-25-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Handwashing polishing pads with dish soap works extremely well and preserves the life of the glue holding the velcro to the pad.

I have tried this recently. It worked for me.
Old 06-29-2007

What I do usually is have a big pale fill with soapy water to the point that the water is only 1/4 to 1/2 filled relative to the pad. And since the pale have some grooves on the bottom part, you gently have to rub them against these uneven parts.

After properly rinsing with water, dry them by pushing the pad against a towel then hang dry.
Old 10-27-2007

Gentlemen,

Forgive me for reviving this old thread but I don't want to start another one.

Forrest mentioned that he washes his Lake Country Foam pads with warm water and dishwashing liquid. However, I was cautioned not to wash my foam pads as the velcro may peel off and thus, render my foam pads useless. A little clarification for this would be great.

In addition, what are the other ways to clean Lake Country foam pads. Better yet, what's the safest way?

Thanks

Grabby

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Old 10-27-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabby View Post
Gentlemen,

Forgive me for reviving this old thread but I don't want to start another one.

Forrest mentioned that he washes his Lake Country Foam pads with warm water and dishwashing liquid. However, I was cautioned not to wash my foam pads as the velcro may peel off and thus, render my foam pads useless. A little clarification for this would be great.

In addition, what are the other ways to clean Lake Country foam pads. Better yet, what's the safest way?

Thanks

Grabby
Cleaning after use is recommended. A caution by someone who may be misinformed is likely what's going on here. If you want to do it "right," Lake Country sells a powder called "Snappy Clean" and you can use that.
Old 10-27-2007

admin,

For clarification, it's all right if the velcro of my LC foam pad gets wet?

Grabby

Old 10-27-2007
Administrator

Getting wet is part of cleaning, so that's a yes.
Old 10-28-2007

Sir Grabby, as I remember, MOMSPH told me just to place the velcro pad in a bucket filled with water solution half the size of the pad so as not to get the velcro itself get wet.

For others' clarification.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2007

jonmike,

What's in the water solution and will it require agitation?

Thanks.

Grabby