Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 05-22-2007

Default BEST way for a super wet black car?

I have a black civic and i want it deep, glossy and super wet look (if logically speaking, greasy wet) hehe!

what's the best way and best products for this? please help..

i've read some of your tips and summing them up would be:
clay, step1-3, & another coat if desired..

provided that these may be enough, my 2nd question from this would be.. is it right to use reflections wax as my step 3, considering that it has cleaners and cleaners will pull off the fillers/polishers that are provided by the step2?

your responses would be very helpful. thanks!
Old 05-22-2007

Default Re: BEST way for a super wet black car?

I just did my first car, a Black clearcoat Sebring, doing 1) claying, 2) Reflections, 3) Carnauba (step 3). It has a very dark wet/gloss look. I really liked the ease of application and removal and did not seem to stain trim (so far).

It seemed to get better over night but that may be just a mental thing.

I also applied Back to Black to all the black trim and that seemed to complete the look since they would look gray now compared to the paint.
Old 05-22-2007

Thumbs up Re: BEST way for a super wet black car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
I have a black civic and i want it deep, glossy and super wet look (if logically speaking, greasy wet) hehe!

what's the best way and best products for this? please help..

i've read some of your tips and summing them up would be:
clay, step1-3, & another coat if desired..

provided that these may be enough, my 2nd question from this would be.. is it right to use reflections wax as my step 3, considering that it has cleaners and cleaners will pull off the fillers/polishers that are provided by the step2?

your responses would be very helpful. thanks!
Crank,

Welcome to the neighborhood. You'll find exactly the type of folks here that you're looking for.

It's hard to tell someone what to use because it's just so subjective.

My personal favorite look on a black car is the warm, deep glow you get from Sealer/Glaze followed by Natural Carnauba. But it takes a bit of time the first time you "install" the Ultimate Wax System.

If time were NOT an object, I would:
Wash - 2 buckets and 2 mitts and pat dry
Clay Bar with Showtime
Phase 1 - Pre-Wax Cleaner
Phase 2 - Sealer/Glaze
Phase 3 - Natural Carnauba
Reflections Top Coat .... just to add a little more depth and perhaps benefit from a little more longevity since it's a natural/synthetic blend.

If time IS an object, I would:
Wash
Clay
Reflections
Reflections Top Coat

And .... if you have a Porter Cable buffer at your disposal, I would change my suggestion slightly.

'11 Challenger R/T Classic
'13 Charger R/T - Jazz Blue
Old 05-22-2007

I gotta agree with the Wiz. My black truck looks great wearing the sealer and glaze followed by caranauba. It's not the hard plastic look like you might get from a synthetic. It's a deep, wet looking shine.
Old 05-23-2007

Iz's assessment is right on. It is hard to beat the three phase Ultimate Wax System on black. If time is a factor, try the alternate route. Reflections Wax and Topcoat are excellent products also but quicker and easier to use.
Old 05-23-2007

You surely need one of the Mothers foundations above. For my black car, I achieve the 'best wet look' by applying FX Spray Wax on a wash 'n' dry car, say not more than 24 hour before my car shows up in front of my friends. Moist from humid climate can reduce a black car shine dim very quickly.
FX Spray Wax is easy to apply, easy to buff off, easy to polish to shine provided you use at least two towels taking turns. To maintain the best look of a black car, I am addicted to FX Spray Wax as much as I do with Show Time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001_resize1.JPG
Views:	896
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	715  
Old 05-23-2007

Thank so much guys! i really appreciate your insights. Wiz, thanks for the detailed steps and also for giving me alternative plans. all of your insights would be very helpful for me.

Nice shinny ride cntlaw! im sure you've caused a lot of neckaches with that.. hehe!

Tho i do have another inquiry.. is not advisble to use reflections wax was after step2? because based on my research step2 (sealer & glaze) fills the swirls and reflections wax has cleaners so i'm having the notion that it might take off the fillers and show the swirls again.
Old 05-23-2007

Quote:
Thank so much guys! i really appreciate your insights. Wiz, thanks for the detailed steps and also for giving me alternative plans. all of your insights would be very helpful for me.

Nice shinny ride cntlaw! im sure you've caused a lot of neckaches with that.. hehe!

Tho i do have another inquiry.. is not advisble to use reflections wax was after step2? because based on my research step2 (sealer & glaze) fills the swirls and reflections wax has cleaners so i'm having the notion that it might take off the fillers and show the swirls again.
No worries. Hope it helps.

If you want a synthetic as your final step, I might try useing Reflections Top Coat as a compromise since it's a synthetic blend.

But, personally, after going through Phase 1 and Phase 2, I'd go with Phase 3 (Natural Carnauba). My personal experience has been that it lasts longer than a lot of people think.

Is your car garaged?

Old 05-24-2007

Thanks so much wiz. im just making sure because as much as possible, i also don't want to compromise protection with the wet look that i have been want to have for my car, considering that humidity, dirt and other pollutants are harsh here in the philippines.

Most of the time, my care is not garraged except at night when i get home. Sad to say that my car i exposed in an non-cemented open parking. so ****, my car is "blessed" with hardcore sun if not hard core rain plus, combine either of them with heavy dust as a bonus. hehe! so i have to find ways to beat that.

btw, pardon me for putting it in this forum... have you tried Meguiar's Gold Class, at atleast for your black car? if yes, what difference?
Old 05-25-2007

Post Re: BEST way for a super wet black car?

I have not tried Gold Class.

A friend of mine used to use it as his third step on his Sunset Orange Camaro SS ... (after Mothers Cleaner and Sealer/Glaze) ... but he's switched to Mothers all the way now. And another friend used to use Gold Class (and then their synthetic) on his Pearl White Maxima until I introduced him to FX Synwax. Now FX is all he uses on his G35.

Back in the early '90's ('92-'96') I used Meguiars Deep Crystal line on my red '91 Honda Accord and then my forest green '93 Pontiac Grand Prix. Then I went to the Richard Petty Driving Experience and one of their guys was using Mothers Showtime on the cars. Those cars take a beating and still looked amazing. He said that they used Mothers Carnauba a few times each year and then Showtime a few times a week. Even the pit boxes looked amazing. When I got home I bought the Ultimate Wax System (Cleaner, Sealer/Glaze, Carnauba) and found that it is easier to use and produced the same depth and more shine. I haven't gone back.

Old 05-25-2007

Crank, I have actually done a comparison between Gold Glass, FX Synwax, and Mother's Carnauba on the hood of my wife's black 4Runner. The GC looks almost identical to the FX - some depth up close but mainly a high gloss shine. Be it my comparison was not scientific by any means, but the FX seemed to last a week or two longer. The GC lasted a bit longer than the carnauba. The carnauba had the typical warm glow with less gloss. GC is a good product, but FX is easier to use and lasts a little longer imo. If you like the look of GC, try FX.
Old 05-25-2007

If you see the thread i started you already know my opinion. But if not, basically i think sealer/glaze is THE product for black. My thread was to ask how to make the S/G last because as you know it's not made to have longevity as a standalone product. But nothing i've ever used including any of the other mothers products makes black look almost new. As you know, black is the worse color there is as far as showing imperfections. And the one imperfection thats imossible to avoid is swirl marks or whatever you wanna call them. All you have to do it touch anything to a black paint job including a microfiber cloth and eventually there will be swirl marks that will ruin the look becauise of the way black magnifys any imperfection. Nothing i have found covers that up except sealer glaze. So that IMO should be your #1 product. What to use WITH it i can't say, and thats what my thread is about. I can use sealer glaze on the black fenders and tank on my bike and they then look and feel like new. But the problem is longevity otherwise i see no need to ever put any other product on black ! Well, one other product....scratch remover. I would suggest using that every so often, maybe annually just to get rid of the buildup of swirls when they become real bad. Even then S/G covers them up, but it's probably a good idea anyways so that during those times between treatments when they become visable they aren't too bad. And to be sure they don't get so bad that even S/G can't hide them.
Old 05-25-2007

Quote:
...........my car i exposed in an non-cemented open parking. so ****, my car is "blessed" with hardcore sun if not hard core rain plus, combine either of them with heavy dust as a bonus. ............
Black is obviously the worst color to keep a clean look as any dust, smear are very visible to our eyes.
Having said that, your concern seems to be more on the protection. Frankly, myself did not get to know enough what 'protection' really does? Presumably, well protected paint means the clear coat will not be removed easily, thus, reduced chance of a permanent loss of shininess/oxidization?
I never had the experiences that my cars were to expose to the hot sun for 8 hours on a daily basis. I am also interested to hear what the experts say.
On the contrary, I've got a feeling that black paint is even a 'better' color than white paint or any other lighter colored paint if long exposure to strong sun cannot be avoided?
I guess, in your case, you need to top up the protective wax (Carnuaba, Top Coat) over the tops of the cars on a more frequent basis.
The most crumsy but the most effective way is to consider a car cover.
Old 05-25-2007

Thats not really the issue. Over long periods of time it can be, but thats with any color not just black. the issue with black is that a perfect brand new black finish can be made to look like it's been thru WWII just by gliding a cloth over it a couple times. You can literally run your finger across a new black finish and then in the right light see what looks like horrible scratches. I'd much rather have a black paint job thats been exposed to years of sun than one thats been exposed to several washings.

In short, what can scratch a black finish to the point where it will look like it's been thru the mill won't even be visible on a silver metallic finish. (i use silver metallic as an example because it's the most resistant to visibility of swirls) The main thing you have to be concerned with when it comes to black is swirl marks that are EXTREMELY visible, probably 100 times as visible than on a silver metallic finish. And the cause is ANYTHING that just simply touches it. Running a towel across it will do it to one degree or another depending on the towel. Obviously a microfiber will be less damaging, but black is so suseptable to scratching that is visible that anything will cause it. So it's not sun that is the issue, at least not much more than any other dark color. Its how easily it shows the slightest scratches. Thats why i suggest sealer glaze. It covers those scratches that are inevitable no matter how much you baby your paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntlaw View Post
Black is obviously the worst color to keep a clean look as any dust, smear are very visible to our eyes.
Having said that, your concern seems to be more on the protection. Frankly, myself did not get to know enough what 'protection' really does? Presumably, well protected paint means the clear coat will not be removed easily, thus, reduced chance of a permanent loss of shininess/oxidization?
I never had the experiences that my cars were to expose to the hot sun for 8 hours on a daily basis. I am also interested to hear what the experts say.
On the contrary, I've got a feeling that black paint is even a 'better' color than white paint or any other lighter colored paint if long exposure to strong sun cannot be avoided?
I guess, in your case, you need to top up the protective wax (Carnuaba, Top Coat) over the tops of the cars on a more frequent basis.
The most crumsy but the most effective way is to consider a car cover.
Old 06-03-2007

Sori guys for the late reply guys. been out for the week, plus the fact that i have been having problems with logging in.

Anyway, thank yous so much guys for all your helpful thoughts. I just finished doing my car for 7 hours. following the guidance that all of you imparted to me from claying, step1-3 by hand. ****, it was heck of job! my body's aching now but IT'S ALL WORTH IT. I got the wet finish that i wanted. THANKS TO YOU GUYS!

To wiz, your right about using the natural carnauba over reflections, particularly with the kind of finish that i wanted. i initially did a test part of both to see the difference. so i ended up with using the natural, just like what you advised. tho i wasn't able to apply the top coat anymore. i ran out of time and energy. HEHEHE! Thanks again man!

next project, learning to use these products using an orbital buffer. any help? hehehehehehehehehe!

THANKS GUYS!
Old 06-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard Of Iz View Post
No worries. Hope it helps.

If you want a synthetic as your final step, I might try useing Reflections Top Coat as a compromise since it's a synthetic blend.

But, personally, after going through Phase 1 and Phase 2, I'd go with Phase 3 (Natural Carnauba). My personal experience has been that it lasts longer than a lot of people think.

Is your car garaged?
The carnauba lasted a lot longer than I thought. I made a post a while back complaining that the water beading ability was gone, but the car was so dirty the day it rained. I just washed it yesterday and it beaded up like I had just waxed it and it was almost three months ago I applied the last coat, even in our 100+ degree weather and my car always is in the sunlight. I redid the three step on my hood even though it was beading up nicely because I had some burned in water spots, but if any of you know about the GTO/Monaro CV8, the cars run extremely hot, especially when the twin fans kick on and that hot air blown on the hood bakes in bird droppings and water spots like nobody's business. I'll have to go to a more aggressive approach to get the rest of my spots off there, but I've got to say, the pure carnauba is a lot more durable than I was first giving credit.
Old 06-03-2007

Seriously crank,
I think that the use of a buffer might be somewhat overrated. I could imagine it being handy in maybe 4 situations.

If you were doing the 3 stage process on a Dodge Ram, Chev Suburban sized vehicle.
If you had more than one large sized vehicle.
If you had to do defect removal.
If you were in the detailing business.

I'm of the opinion that if you're careful, then most of the work can be done by hand, and as you have a Civic, then that task is a little easier.

It's just a suggestion I know, but I think that introducing another 'learning curve' type of tasking just means there's more to keep in mind.

Someone once informed me of the KISS principle, and if things look like becoming too involved, I step back and remember that principle.

Just a thought. You remember an old advertisement of the guy riding his mower through the flower bed because he was looking at the new shine on his car. Ever feel like that?
Have you stopped smiling yet?
Funny how something like this looks so stupid until you see the result of the work you've done with your own hands.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 06-03-2007

Tony
Your right about doing it by hand instead of the RO, I usually do it by hand and it turns out just as nice and with the new Mothers products its just as easy..

You left out one thing, the fun factor, if you like power tools, the RO is fool proof even for me, does a good job and is fun to use.

kbshadow
stockton Ca
Old 06-04-2007

Quote:
"....... To wiz, your right about using the natural carnauba over reflections, particularly with the kind of finish that i wanted. i initially did a test part of both to see the difference. so i ended up with using the natural, just like what you advised. tho i wasn't able to apply the top coat anymore. i ran out of time and energy. HEHEHE! Thanks again man!

next project, learning to use these products using an orbital buffer. any help? hehehehehehehehehe!

THANKS GUYS!
Crank,

Glad you liked the results. The 3-step Ultimate Wax System is still my favorite look. I just wish I had the time. But the Reflections is a close second and wins on ease of use.

Rollin

Old 06-09-2007

Quote:

THANKS GUYS!
Sir, you might want to ask MOMSPH to guide you into using a DA polisher! It's really easy to learn! You might want to let them try it first in a test area for you to see the difference then you could mimic their job on another area!

Give him a call or just go to their shop!

Cheers!