Thread: My first Buffer

Post Thanks / Like

My first Buffer

Hey - I`ve been visiting this place for a little while and have decided to pick up my first buffer. I`ve been detailing foro years by hand, but was always hesitant to move to a buffer because of horror stories of burning through paint that I had heard. I`m looking for an orbital/random orbital buffer to begin with. It doesn`t have to be anything fancy for now - I want something that I can practice with and that will do the job. When I become moroe comfortable with it I`ll put more money into a real nice one. I was hoping to spend around $100. I found a book in my local library that listed 1750 as the ideal RPM for an orbital buffer. I checked out my local auto supply stores and found that everything was in the 3000 range. Is this book outdated or wrong? I figured the ones in the stores were just cheap/low-end, but wasn;t positive. The Meguiar`s website lists their portable cordless model with 6.5 inch pad at around $100. Is this something worth looking into? Thanks for any input and suggestions!

-cleancar

Post Thanks / Like

PC

You can get the Porter Cable 7424 that everyone raves about on this site for $119.99 at coastaltool.com. They also include the 6" hook & loop backing plate and counter-weight free. This is 20 more than what you want to spend, but what a great deal! It selldfor $239 on the Meguiars site!!! I purchased mine about 5 months ago... best investment I ever made.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a De Walt orbital with a 5inch backing plate and I paid $100 at Lowes. You can`t go wrong with one and do not worry about burning the paint a rotary will do that but not a orbital
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

'
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I bought the Porter-Cable 7424 would it be best to get the Meguiars foam pad kit. Do you have to use a counter weight with it?

Sammy

Post Thanks / Like
    By all means go with the Porter Cable. You can`t go wrong. The "whole works" and more is available from Classic Motoring Accessories. They know their product line and are good folks to work with. They are not the least expensive, but I think that you can trust them. Use their 800 phone number and talk to a rep.

http://www.properautocare.com/

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tguil
    By all means go with the Porter Cable. You can`t go wrong. The "whole works" and more is available from Classic Motoring Accessories. They know their product line and are good folks to work with. They are not the least expensive, but I think that you can trust them. Use their 800 phone number and talk to a rep.

http://www.properautocare.com/

Tom
    The "whole works" and more is also available from 4 Star. They know their product line and are good folks to work with, as well. I don`t just think you can trust the people at 4 Star, I know you can trust them.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    get as good of a d.a. as you can afford and maybe a little more. The el cheapo`s aren`t worth getting. They are somewhat habit forming I have collected 5 d.a. machines. I have a DeWalt machine now and have 4 collecting dust.

Perpetual Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have to use a counterweight. The machine comes with one already attached. It typically comes with the counterweight for 5" backing plate, but the preferred cw is the 6" one. It`s a 2-screw switcheroo, np. The world won`t end if you use the wrong counterweight. But the machine works better with the 6" one, less vibrational energy and more energy directed to the job.

The Coastal Tool deal is cool because it gives you the stuff that you always find out later you should have had. I got a great deal on my PC, and later on had to order the cw and velcro backing plate.

There are lots of pads available. You don`t need to get the Meg`s pads. What you want to start out with is one wool (heavy) cutting pad, one foam cutting pad, one foam light cutting pad and one finishing pad. I do most of my work with the 3 foam pads, and I try to avoid the wool pad. But, it`s good to have. Any brand will do. Different brands have different colors for different cutting, but it usually says on the back what job that pad will do. Again, the world won`t end if you mix brand names. You get further choices with flat pads, concave pads, waffle pads, and finger pads; they all work. Don`t over think it. I personally like the concave pads more than the others, but if the only clean medium cutting pad is a waffle pad or flat pad, I use it. The strength of the pad is way more important than the style. It`s no big deal if you cut with a finger pad and finish with a concave pad, or vice versa. Just get one "heavy", one "medium", one "light", and one "finishing".

Some PCs come with a white foam pad permanently attached to a backing plate. Use it once as a medium cutting pad, and then throw it away.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I like using a Mikita rotary with the thumb wheel speed control, with a foam pad. I`ve had real good results with this buffer. They are a little pricy but worth the extra cost up front.
    osti-----Soon to be Car Craft Detailing.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mosca
    Some PCs come with a white foam pad permanently attached to a backing plate. Use it once as a medium cutting pad, and then throw it away.
    Tom
    Maybe your experience with the white pad that comes with the PC was not good, but I have been using it for a polishing pad with Meg`s #9 since last October. Seems to work fine. I only do my own and my family`s cars, so it has probably only been used about 10-15 times, but it is still in pretty good shape. What is supposed to be the problem with the white pad? I may have the problem and just don`t realize it. Yeah, it`s not as convenient as my velcro pads, but it isn`t any big deal to change, either.

Charles

'
    Post Thanks / Like
    How long does the foam pads last when used with the Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher? I must admit I am still confused about the five inch and the six inch pads. Do you remove the products with the polisher in that case you would need terry bonnets. Or would removing the products with mf towels be ok?

Sammy

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a bunch of different foam pads to appy the product -- compound, cleaner, polish, wax or sealant. All six inch pads. I bought both terry and microfiber bonnets to remove the product but have never used them. Microfiber towels work great for removing and buffing whatever you have applied. Some folks have suggested a final buff with the terry or microfiber bonnets. Makes sense to me, but I haven`t seen the need to do so.

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I just put in an order for a PC 7424 with a velcro backing plate. I ordered it from properautocare.com, as tguil recommended. I`ll be heading out to the local auto supply store to pick up some pads/bonnets after reading some more on this site to figure out exactly what I need. I won`t be buffing out any swirls,etc. (Starting out with a well-maintained finish) for now - just putting on a polish and wax after washing/claying. I`m still a little confused about what I need for bonnets/pads to do this, but I`m sure I`ll find the answers here.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I`m sure It`ll make a big difference.

-Cleancar

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by sammycastagna
    How long does the foam pads last when used with the Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher? I must admit I am still confused about the five inch and the six inch pads. Do you remove the products with the polisher in that case you would need terry bonnets. Or would removing the products with mf towels be ok?

Sammy
    The pads will last a long time, (several dozen uses), if you don`t snag them on a piece of trim. Removing products with a MF towel works great.

Charles

'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone,
    I put my order in last night for the 7424 and Megs foam pad kit from PremiumAutoCare. When I got home I had an e-mail that it had been shipped.

Sammy

Thread Information