Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Marine & RV Care

Marine & RV Care Do you have a boat, RV or other water toy? Ask your questions here. Products from our new Marine Line may be just what you need.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 02-11-2007

Question Aluminum pontoon cleaner, polish and wax

I am looking for the absolute best way to clean, polish and wax the aluminum pontoons (3 logs) on my boat. We kept the boat in the water at the marina last year and where the algae grew on the pontoons, it is rough, oxidized and corroded. I am thinking that I should get a dual action polisher and use Power Metal to clean and polish the pontoons. Is this the best option or would Billet Metal Polish or Mag & Aluminum Polish be good choices?

On to waxing and protecting the pontoons...should I follow with Marine Cleaner Wax? Is there another wax (without cleaner) that would be a good option?

Once I get the pontoons cleaned and polished up good the first time, is the Marine Cleaner Wax good to maintain the shine and how long will it last?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2007
Administrator

Default Re: Aluminum pontoon cleaner, polish and wax

Welcome!

Of those you mention, Mag & Aluminum Polish or PowerMetal aluminum polish would be the most appropriate product to use.

Keep in mind that your manufacturer may have specific recommendations, which may or may or may not affect the warranty.

If you do go the aluminum polish route, and if you already have a good cordless or power drill, a PowerBall would probably work best for you.

You could apply a coat or two of Pure Carnauba Wax for added protection once you get it polished, but it may be more work than it is worth -- just plan to polish periodically with aluminum polish.

Cleaner Wax would not be appropriate on aluminum.

You could probably use our Wheel Mist All Wheel (#05924) first to clean the algae. We have reports of this working well on aluminum pontoons. Test in an inconspicous area before attempting to treat the entire area to see if this is the approach for you.

(revised from original post to include more recommendations)
Old 02-11-2007
Mothers® Polish

A random orbital buffer with a cotton bonnet would be a good choice as well. While it doesn't move as fast as a PowerBall would, it can cover a larger area at a time.

Mag & Aluminum Polish leaves a coating behind to slowdown reoxidation, but keep in mind if it stays in the water, nothing will fully protect it.
Old 02-12-2007

Thanks for the insight and experience. I will follow your advice and let you know how it turns out.