Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Tire & Wheel Care

Tire & Wheel Care Whether you have hubcaps, clearcoated factory alloy, or custom wheels worth thousands, you'll want them to look their best. Metal polishing is also discussed here.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 12-24-2006

Arrow Winter VS aluminum Wheels.

Hey guys...I got a question. Its full blown winter here now and my wheels are sorta turning a yellow golden color from the road salts i think... so what would be the best way about cleaning them up and protecting them a bit more? I pressure wash them once a week and the color wont come off.....im geussing some wicked product and some elbow grease.

I have the power ball and the right polish for my wheels, just what can i clean them up good first with and then polish them up so there shinney or is it not worth polishing them in the wither months...so what are your guys opinions?
Heres a pic of one of them from today

Here is a pic of one of them polished in the summer with the power ball and polish

Old 12-24-2006
Administrator

Default Re: Winter VS aluminum Wheels.

Try using a spray-on, hose-off "All Wheel" cleaner like our FX Wheel Cleaner or our own All Wheel spray.

You might have to work in warmer weather, or splash it with some warm water so you can then get some cleaning action.

Try to do this frequently to avoid permanent damage.
Old 12-24-2006

Hey thanx i was going to try the all wheel cleaner and scrub them up and are you serious they will permanantly be damaged i hope there not already What do you recomend to shield/protect them the best after i use the all wheel cleaner?
Old 12-24-2006
Administrator

If left unattended, salt can pit the finish. Now how much salt is on your wheels is impossible to tell, so keeping them clean would be best. Use either your regular polish or pure carnauba wax or a product like Top Coat to protect.

Better safe than sorry, but let's face it... winter is a miserable time for cars and there's only so much you can to until the thaw.
Old 12-24-2006

Ok ill get on them tommorow cause i dont want to screw up these new rims ...well thanx for the help and have your self a merry christmas and happy new year

Later
Chris
Old 01-06-2007

i have to admit with admin, regular washes and occasionally apply a nice even coat of wax, it will help keep your finish and help prevent brake dust from really setting in.