Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 08-05-2006

Default Removing Swirls and Little Scratches from black car

Hello I have a 2000 Black Bmw 323i and i been using some nice waxes everytime i wash it but every time i apply the wax and a good shine appears on the car on i still can see a lot of swirls they look like spiderwebs. And i have a lot on the roof the hood and the trunk. I have some on the side but not as much as the top parts. I have a power wasing machine but i have not use it, and i am looking to really detail my car. I want to get rid of those swirls and bring out the true pure blackness of my paint. I know my paint is old but i can still and want to restore it. So I would really appreciate any suggestions any of you may have. Thank you for your time.
Old 08-06-2006

Thumbs up Re: Removing Swirls and Little Scratches from black car

I'm sure some of the Mother's pros will be along shortly to offer some advice, but I'll throw .02 in to get you started.

By hand .... you can really only hope to hide the swirls between treatments. I would use Mothers Ultimate Wax System. It's "old school" and it works great to minimize swirls and leave a deep, wet look on dark colors. The Sealer/Glaze in Phase 2, won't remove the swirls, but does fill them in to make them less noticeable.

Wash
Clay Bar (if it hasn't been done in six months)
Mother's Pre-Wax Cleaner
Mother's Sealer/Glaze
Mother's Carnuba

By machine (like a Porter Cable random orbital buffer) ... you can work to remove the swirls. Now you can match product with pad aggressivenes to get rid of the swirls. Of course, if they're real bad you may choose to have an experienced professional get rid of them with a rotary buffer and then you can maintain the car from there. Do NOT attempt a rotary buffer on your Bimmer yourself if you're not an experienced user. You almost can't screw up with a Porter Cable 7336, but you can do quick damage with a rotary if you don't know what you're doing. Even I can use a Porter Cable and get great results.

So by Porter Cable, I would
Wash
Clay Bar (if it hasn't been done in six months)
Mothers PowerPolish on a Lake Country Yellow Pad
Mothers PowerPolish on a LC White Pad
Mothers Reflections on a LC Black Pad
and perhaps add Mothers Reflections Top Coat on a Black Pad or by hand.

And just to keep this novel going ... you need to take a look at how the swirls got there. I confess that every swirl I ever got on any car was self-induced. Then I learned what I was doing wrong in the washing and drying phase and repented. It's tough to admit.

Wash with Two buckets - one for soap and one to rinse the wash mitts, Two mitts (sheepskin or chenille) - one for the top half of the car and one for the bottom. And don't use Dawn or any other dishwashing detergent. They're too strong and pull the oils and nutrients out of your finish which just makes the swirls more noticeable.

Dry using Waffle Weave microfiber towels using the pat-down technique I learned from Forrest. Then follow-up with plush microfiber to get any remaining dampness. Do not drag anything across your paint.

'11 Challenger R/T Classic
'13 Charger R/T - Jazz Blue
Old 08-06-2006
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Removing Swirls and Little Scratches from black car

Yep, you'll need a polish, a machine and an aggrressive pad to remove the spiderwebbing.

The Power Cable 7424/7336, and Lake Country yellow and white pads are a good start. You can apply your wax by hand if you wish, or use the Lake Country black pad for this step.

I think it's technique that's caused the marring to date. Try some of Wizard's suggestions, he really is a Wiz at this stuff.
Old 08-06-2006

Cool Re: Removing Swirls and Little Scratches from black car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T.
".... he really is a Wiz at this stuff."
I am but your humble student, Master.

'11 Challenger R/T Classic
'13 Charger R/T - Jazz Blue
Old 08-06-2006
Administrator

Default Re: Removing Swirls and Little Scratches from black car

Forrest & Wiz, thank you for your advice, as always... hopefully Kakorat will be on his way to getting his BMW looking good!

(P.S. Sorry about the guy with the bad language who posted earlier... we've taken care of him and deleted his posts. )