Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 07-30-2006

Default Cat Scratched my brand new car

I just bought a 2007 toyota yaris, and I see there are fine scratches on the hood from my neighbours cat. They are not deep my no means. But its really bugging me I want them gone. Could you suggest what I could use to remove the scratches. I bought the turtle wax ice and it didn't do a darn thing. What mothers brand would work for my scratches.

Thank You
Tana
Old 07-30-2006
Administrator

Default Re: Cat Scratched my brand new car

Welcome!

Congratulations on your new vehicle, and so sorry to hear about the neighbor's cat.

Likely a scratch remover is what you need, but first I'd try a cleaner wax. It would be good for us to know if you can feel them with your fingernail.

If you have not yet detailed the vehicle, you might consider a product like our Clay Bar Paint Saving System.

Even with a new vehicle, you can very likely benefit from a claying to remove surface contamants that can damage your paint. The included California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax sample size might be just enough of a polish to remove those scratches, so long as they aren't through the paint, and you probably want to clean and protect the entire vehicle as well.

If our Cleaner Wax does not do the job, try something like our Scratch Remover, and then the cleaner wax or your favorite wax product to polish and protect.

For waxing and protecting, there are many options, but really, the use of a clay is recommended at least once or twice a year, and prior to the vehicle's first careful detail.
Old 07-30-2006

Thank you admin for your reply. I just went outside to see if i could feel the scratches with my nail. And nope dont feel anything with my nail. They are not deep by no means the car is a dark blue the only way you can see the scratches if the sun hits it just right or i go up to the car i can see them. And its just bugging me to no end i have only had the car 2 months and im so anal about keeping it in good shape.

Thanks again for your reply

Tana
Old 07-30-2006

I hope your neighbor doesn't miss the cat too terribly.

If you're doing the work by hand and want to spend a little more time on your car, try the Ultimate Wax System (1 - Pre-Wax Cleaner, 2 - Sealer/Glaze, 3 - Carnauba Wax). The Sealer/Glaze does a great job of hiding imperfections.

If you have a Porter Cable Random Orbital Buffer, then a little PowerPolish will make quick work of the evidence that there was once a cat in your neighborhood.

'11 Challenger R/T Classic
'13 Charger R/T - Jazz Blue
Old 07-30-2006

Thank you for your reply wizard of iz. I will pick up some mothers products to see if I can get rid of the scratches. And BTW im a women lol so i need something that is easy to use and dosen't take a rocket scientist to use. So sanding and stuff like that is out of the question. Again thank you so much for your input

Tana
Old 07-30-2006
Mothers® Polish

Male or female will make no difference. Go with a terry cloth applicator and use the Scratch Remover with lots of back and forth repetitions.

go over the area from all different angles - back and forth, side to side, diagonally, etc.

Lots of reps beat heavy pressure and fewer reps any day of the week. It may even take several applications to remove them.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarus2007
Thank you for your reply wizard of iz. I will pick up some mothers products to see if I can get rid of the scratches. And BTW im a women lol so i need something that is easy to use and dosen't take a rocket scientist to use. So sanding and stuff like that is out of the question. Again thank you so much for your input

Tana

I think you have an advantage. Guys tend to think we can put a little elbow grease into it and solve the problem. What we often do is make things worse.

Forrest's point of more repetition instead of more muscle is great advice.

I'm sure your Toyota will turn out just fine.

'11 Challenger R/T Classic
'13 Charger R/T - Jazz Blue
Old 07-30-2006

Well I did a tiny small scratch on my front bumper with the power plug of my battery charger. I was tired and dropped the wire, the metal part of the plug went straight to my bumper and did small tiny line in the paint. I looks small but I can feel it with the nail. Will scratch remover help? I took a few pics of the scratch, please tell me there is something I can do.

Old 07-30-2006

Tana.
Like you, I am also relatively new to this car care life. I found that reading through these threads and posts was of really great assistance.
With regard to your problem, my suggestion would to to have a read through this link.

waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=1276&highlight=scratch+removal

Have a read of all the entries, but the one that is the most informative is the post second from the bottom and is one from Forrest T., one of the host of experts here in these Forums. Read this Post carefully, and it might be of much help to you as it was to me.
Some of the other guys have mentioned that you should use as little pressure as possible when gently rubbing in the different directions, and that is well worth reinforcing. Little to no pressure at all should be used.
I hope this helps.
Tony.
Old 07-31-2006

Thanks for the link TonyfromOz. You're right about the search, it helped me answer all my questions when I was looking for a PC and pads. I wanted to see though if this scratch could be repaired since I can feel it with my nail. I'll give scratchremover a try.