DEEEETROIT BASKETBALL ScreeminGTP's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy What to do after

I was detailing my friends Brand New Bonivelle SSEI because the dealership decided to put a wheel on it to remove the scratch on various parts of the car. When I saw it, it was a nightmare. So I pulled out my PC 7424 with a finish pad and some MEG #9 and it seemed like it was doing the trick but when I put the car in the sun they were still their swirl marks that is. So I went to the more agressive pad to see if that would cure the problem and it didn`t so I went to a more agressive product 3M PI-III rubbing coumpound and followed it with a dark polish and it took out the swirl marks. Did I go too agressive on the paint or did I do the right thing?

Please Help Really confused

In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do after

Originally posted by ScreeminGTP
    Did I go too agressive on the paint or did I do the right thing?

I`ve not used the 3M compound, but I`d say you did things exactly the way they should be done; least aggressive method first then heavier if needed. Good work.

I too haven`t had a lot of luck with #9 and even DACP doesn`t want to take out my scratches with a maroon cutting pad. (mind you I really don`t have any swirl marks, just scratches)

I wonder if the 3M compound should be my next step? Natty, how does the abrassiveness of the 3M compound compare to DACP?

Post Thanks / Like
    3M PI-III seems like a good product to work with but it dries up pretty fast when you work it but it states that it produces a glossy finish when you apply it. Thanks

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Re: What to do after

Originally posted by biff
    Natty, how does the abrassiveness of the 3M compound compare to DACP?
    3M PI-III Compound is more abrasive than DACP.....probably considerably more. It is a compound whereas DACP is a cleaner/polish (although a pretty stout one).

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    3M has three different grades of compound in there PI III line up i belive. Light cut, Fast cut, and Extra cut. All i think would be harsher than the dacp. I`ve used the extra and fast cut and they are nice but that`s about all i can say. Clean up can be rough and once it hardens it gets VERY hard to remove. It does get the job done well and quickly though. For scratch removal it all depends on the scratch that your trying to remove.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    Well now usually when any product dries up don`t you use a QD type of spray to loosen it up rather than wiping it down with a towel or at lease apply something to break up the dried up product?

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you get to it soon enough after a qd will do fine. Wait even a week and laquer thinner doesn`t soften it. You have to pick away at it. It sucks hard. Trust me i`ve been there.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Thread Information