Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 09-18-2005

Unhappy Haze on black paint?

As stated previously the paint on my black Ford is in excellent shape and I am using Mothers Wax and Top coat. I've been using Optimum spray wax as a detailer.
The paint and wax looks like saran wrap has been put on the truck and I am pleased with the look. I do it all by hand. HOWEVER..yesterday I had it in a partially shaded area and when I stand up close and look parallel with the truck the paint seems to have a little cloudyness that is not visible otherwise. Is that what is refered to as haze? Is it because I don't put the wax on with a buffer or PC? Not polishing correctly or what? And what do you do about it? Again its not noticable when you stand back 4-5 feet. The overall shine is great but now I know there is a (haze?) there it bugs me.
Any suggestions. I'll strip it all down and start over if I need to...one of the benifits of being retired. James
Old 09-19-2005
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Haze on black paint?

Whether or not there is haze on the paint has little to do with using a machine or working by hand.

The haze can be something as simple as an incompatibility between the products used, or applying your spray wax too heavily, or the towels used to buff it (could have been loaded up with product, and you're seeing a smear).

The first thing I'd try is a wash and blot dry with waffle weave. Then, see if the haze still remains.

When's the last time he paint was polished/cleaned? I've seen instances where folks have applied application after application of products with little or no cleaners, and a haze appeared from all the product on the paint.
Old 09-19-2005

Thanks Forrest. The numerous layers may be it. Which brings me to another question. I am planning on stripping the wax off and going back again with either Reflections Wax or FX and topping which ever I go with, with Top coat.
I am thinking about washing with Dawn to remove most of the wax. After that I want to clean and polish. What would you recommend to polish with before I do Reflections or FX or will either do the job?
I know both have a little polish ( cleaner) but will rely on your opinion if they will do or use something such as Meguires pre-wax cleaner. I still have a bottle of the old Reflections polish but don't know if it is a stronger polish than Reflections or FX. Would rather stay with Mothers products.
FYI..the paint is in excellent shape, clean and smooth to the touch and I don't see a need to clay? By the way I have no PC and will be applying with a buffer and removing with micro towels. Will I see any benifit in shine by buffing after I remove the wax by hand?
Thanks again James
Old 09-19-2005
Administrator

Unless you're in a hurry to address the cloudiness effects, I'd wash and dry as normal for the next few weeks, but skip the detailer and see of that cloudiness goes away.

I'm not sure I see a need to strip everything and start over if it's just some incompatibility between the wax and the detailer; or perhaps uneven application of the detailer -- I would think that you should be able to see a difference after a wash or two.

If the detailer wasn't the problem, then do the Full Monty, but I'm actually a little curious about the cause of your phenomenon.
Old 09-20-2005

Thanks for the reply...but as asked please address the other issues such as cleaners and what would you suggest for doing a "Full monty"
Thanks James
Old 09-20-2005

James,

Make sure you haven't washed your towels with fabric softner or had dryer sheets in the dryer. I have seen a "softened" towel cause haze when my wife was trying to "help." (Guess I should do my own laundry )

I have had a couple of occasions where I have gotten a little haziness on my Black GTP exactly as you described. Only in certain lighting and only looking down or parallel to the side panels.

It seems to have happened only when it's very hot and very humid when I have worked on the car. Usually I have been able to go back over that section with a very fine mist and a fresh towel and remove the haze. When that hasn't solved the haziness, and a good washing, as Admin suggested, has not solved the problem; I have taken it as a sign that I am reaching the product overload point and need to get back to a fresh surface.

If you just want to get back to the beginning ..... I would use Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner that is Phase 1 in the California Gold line. It is designed to remove wax and oxidation and prepare the paint for the next step. I would not use Dawn. Others may disagree, but I just don't think it ever belongs on a car.

Following the Pre-Wax Cleaner, I would use Reflections or FX and then Top Coat.

'11 Challenger R/T Classic
'13 Charger R/T - Jazz Blue
Old 09-20-2005

Thumbs up Re: Haze on black paint?

Wikard Of Iz
I think you and some others may be correct, especially on product overload. I don't wash my micro towels in fabric softener and take the fabric sortener sheets out of the dryer but not sure if there is still a trace of it left behind?
I'll take the suggestion that Forrest said and wash the truck a couple of times and not use any detail spray afterwards. I like to detail spray each time and maybe thats the problem. This will give me an idea of whats going on and I'll strip later well before winter sets in. When you go back over the car in an attempt to remove the haze are you misting with water or a QD?
Glad someone else has seen the same thing and has a cure.
Thanks James
Old 09-20-2005
Mothers® Polish

James - if it's the quick detailer that's causing the problem, you can usually fix it by lightly misting distilled water on the area and wiping with a clean, dry, microfiber.

Give that a shot - it's cheap (about .99 for a gallon at the grocery store) and easy.
Old 09-20-2005

Thumbs up Re: Haze on black paint?

Forrest...thanks I'll give it a try and I'm starting to think what you suggested may be correct...over application of product and too long since cleaning and polishing. I pretty much detail spray after every wash.
Thanks James
Old 09-20-2005

Red face Re: Haze on black paint?

James, Sorry .... I wasn't very specific. Forrest already provided the answer - distilled water. (I wonder if my wife will ever figure out why she runs out of distilled water for her iron??? )

'11 Challenger R/T Classic
'13 Charger R/T - Jazz Blue
Old 09-20-2005

Your wife irons??? LOL..mine does to but I haven't gotten into her distilled water...Yet..I'll blame it on you.
Thanks again James