Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 01-10-2007

Default Scratch Remover mainly for scratch removal?

I was at a local auto parts store today.

Other products (yellow plastic can, and orange tube) next to Mothers Scratch Remover, claim to remove paint damage by acid rain and bird dropping, while Mothers Scratch Remover bottle mentions only scratches.

So if my main purpose is not removing fine scratches, other produts will do better job?

On the roof, there are what I think acid rain etching. Invisible at some angle, visible at other angle. The shape of the stain looks like water spots, but it was not removed by cleaner wax.
Old 01-10-2007
Administrator

Default Re: Scratch Remover mainly for scratch removal?

You can use our Scratch Remover on a variety of paint defects, including scratches induced by abrasion.

The concern with etching damage due to such things as acids in rain or bird droppings is that attempting to remove such severe etching can require polishing the clearcoat to the point of causing more harm than good.

Sometimes consumers can get distracted by removing the etching without noticing that they're removing their clearcoat in the process, especially if one is using a compound.

We try not to over-extend the capabilities of our products, but they can indeed be used for a variety of uses other than those mentioned on the bottle. Erring on the side of caution, we don't include all applications of a product, and in this case, our Scratch Remover.

Just know that with any product, attempting to remove severe acid etching damage can be impossible, if not risky.

If it's light damage, treat it like a scratch.

If it's heavy damage, try again, but inspect your progress and know when to stop and say "that's an improvement and I've taken it as far as I dare go."
Old 01-10-2007
Moderated User

Just my obersvation, but in my own case, using the clay bar helped. Of course I can't say if what was on my paint job is better or worse than on yours.
Old 01-10-2007

ktlimq

This one might be a little delicate for me as I feel guilty referring you back one of my own earlier Threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlimq
On the roof, there are what I think acid rain etching. Invisible at some angle, visible at other angle. The shape of the stain looks like water spots, but it was not removed by cleaner wax.

I had this same problem, and in fact, this was the genesis of my arriving here at the Mothers Forum.
I had etching in the clear coat. I know that now, but then it was just marks on the roof of the car.
(See what being here at Mothers has done. Now I actually pretend to know what I didn't know about known unknowns, or forgive me, has that line already been used.)

Now I know that it was indeed etching into the clear coat, I realise that I was always going to be up against it to remove it with Scratch remover, be it the Mothers product or any similar product from any manufacturer.
So when our friend at Admin says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
The concern with etching damage due to such things as acids in rain or bird droppings is that attempting to remove such severe etching can require polishing the clearcoat to the point of causing more harm than good.

Sometimes consumers can get distracted by removing the etching without noticing that they're removing their clearcoat in the process, especially if one is using a compound.

I totally concur, and this is from my own experience. I worked for hours very slowly, and very carefully with Mothers Scratch Remover, and the results were marginal in my eyes, and significant in the eyes of my wife. The etching was visbly diminished, but that's the trouble with things like that. Even though others might be hard pressed to notice the marring, you, the owner always know it, where it was, and your eyes are always drawn to it every time you go near your car.
I ended up having the whole roof repainted, and now I don't seek out that spot every time I go near the car.

I hate to refer you to my own thread, but they are before and after shots that only seek to impress Admin's point.

Go Here

I hope this is of some assistance.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 03-24-2007

Mine look less severe than the marks in TonyfromOz's pictures - partly due to the color of the paint: arctic white? -.

I tried the yellow can scratch remover by hand but it made no noticeable difference. Yesterday, I tried Mothers Scratch Remover. It did not remove the marks either. Since it seemed to make swirls a little less noticeable, I applied Mothers Scratch Remover to the whole car by hand , and then applied Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax - I planned and bought Mothers 3-step system, but I was tired after doing Scratch Remover -.

I decided to leave those marks on the roof.

Many thanks to all who posted replies for me.
Old 03-26-2007

Hi, can you say me if Mothers Scratch Remover have some type of fillers?

Regards,
Miguel
Old 03-26-2007
Administrator

Miguel,

Welcome to Mothers Wax Forum!

Mothers Scratch Remover has no fillers.
Old 03-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
Miguel,

Welcome to Mothers Wax Forum!

Mothers Scratch Remover has no fillers.
Hi Admin,

thank you very much about the welcome. Having no fillers this product it's very very good. I'm going to show you some photos of what this product can make in your cars and that make in my Jag.

Hope you enjoy,
Regards from Portugal,
Old 04-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlimq
I applied Mothers Scratch Remover to the whole car by hand , and then applied Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax
These products left white stain on black trims on my 1992 Mercedes 300D.

After one week from applying these products, I cleaned the trims with microfiber towel lightly dampened with Vinylex. It seemed that I did not need to use tooth brush, mineral spirit, WD-40, strong all purpose cleaner, etc. The trims look clean now, but I will post again if it turns out that I had merely covered the stain with oil coating.
Old 04-03-2007
Administrator

Porous and older, dried-out trim will be more prone to staining.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure... We recommend applying Back-to-Black on all trim before claying, polishing or waxing to prevent any problems. (It also allows ample time for the product to do its job while you clay, polish and wax.)

Back-to-Black applied afterwards will generally also take care of any problem as well as help restore the look of the trim.

We don't recommend harsh cleaners or solvents when a milder approach will do -- a warm, strong solution of car wash and a gentle brush often takes care of stubborn stains if you don't want to use Back-to-Black or other trim or vinyl dressing.

On a 15-year-old car, likely your trim would benefit from periodic use of Back-to-Black, though a dressing like you applied often does the job of addressing the stain and if it works for you, then that's great.
Old 04-04-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueldefender
Hi Admin,

thank you very much about the welcome. Having no fillers this product it's very very good. I'm going to show you some photos of what this product can make in your cars and that make in my Jag.

Hope you enjoy,
Regards from Portugal,
Thank you for the photos! It would be recommended to also use some wax on there for additional shine and protection.
Closed Thread