Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread
 
  Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
  #1  
Old 03-26-2006
Hawci Hawci is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6
Default Need advice in selecting a Polish or Scratch Remover ?

Pre-cleaner vs. Power Polish vs. Scratch Remover ???

Hello to all. I'm a new Forum member who has been using an assortment of Mothers products for many years, but not as a complete system. Only recently have I started to learn how to blend the art & science of automotive paint detailing. Much of it learned from this Forum. Thanks to all the members.

My pride & joy is a 2003 Black Harley Davidson. Therefore, power tools are not an option. Hand application only, due to small parts and tight spaces. I've purchased the 3 Step System, but haven't use Step #2 as yet. My question is regarding Step #1 Pre-cleaner Polish. I've needed to apply many applications to remove/reduce minor marring, webbing, or swirls. It cleans the paint nicely, but only clears up most surface swirls. I don't have any clear coat scratches.

Is there a Polish that's in between Step 1 and Scratch Remover ? Is Power Polish the same level of abrasiveness ? If it's stronger, can you use it by hand ? I know Power Polish is intended for use with a PC, but on a Harley MC, power tools are not practical. I'm concern that Scratch Remover may be too strong.
The MC is stored & covered in a garage, so I don't think it needs to be Clayed.

Thanks for your suggestionsÖ
  #2  
Old 03-26-2006
admin's Avatar
admin admin is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, Calif.
Posts: 4,618
Default Re: Need advice in selecting a Polish or Scratch Remover ?

Hawci,

Welcome!

You'll want to try Sealer & Glaze after the Pre-Wax Cleaner, as Sealer & Glaze will help hide the defects you're seeing.

And if you're you're not happy with the results, moving to the more aggressive Scratch Remover would be your next logical step for hand application, provided you're sure you are using Pre-Wax Cleaner properly... not too much product, a good quality foam or microfiber applicator, and just light pressure... let the product do the work; not your arm.

Again, follow with Sealer & Glaze after the Pre-Wax Cleaner.

Since you're applying by hand, PowerPolish is not a viable option.
  #3  
Old 03-26-2006
Hawci Hawci is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6
Default Re: Need advice in selecting a Polish or Scratch Remover ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
Hawci,

Welcome!

You'll want to try Sealer & Glaze after the Pre-Wax Cleaner, as Sealer & Glaze will help hide the defects you're seeing.

And if you're you're not happy with the results, moving to the more aggressive Scratch Remover would be your next logical step for hand application, provided you're sure you are using Pre-Wax Cleaner properly... not too much product, a good quality foam or microfiber applicator, and just light pressure... let the product do the work; not your arm.

Again, follow with Sealer & Glaze after the Pre-Wax Cleaner.

Since you're applying by hand, PowerPolish is not a viable option.

Thanks Admin for the prompt response. I use thin coats, dry to a haze, 5 minutes, and remove with M/F cloth. Then repeat several more times, until I'm satisfied with the look of the paint finish.

I felt it was beneficial to remove as many minor swirls as possible, before Step 2, which helps to seal & conceal the swirls. I'll try Step 2 before using Scratch Remover. I can also go back later in the season if necessary to apply SR.
Thanks for the adviceÖ
  #4  
Old 03-27-2006
Sherman8r44 Sherman8r44 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 21
Default Re: Need advice in selecting a Polish or Scratch Remover ?

Just remember that with Scratch Remover, you need to do a lot of rubbing so that the abrasives can do their work; it's not a wipe on/haze/wipe off type of thing. DON'T use a lot of pressure, but repetition is key so that the abrasives can wear down the edges of the scratches and swirls.
  #5  
Old 03-28-2006
Hawci Hawci is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6
Default Re: Need advice in selecting a Polish or Scratch Remover ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman8r44
Just remember that with Scratch Remover, you need to do a lot of rubbing so that the abrasives can do their work; it's not a wipe on/haze/wipe off type of thing. DON'T use a lot of pressure, but repetition is key so that the abrasives can wear down the edges of the scratches and swirls.
Thanks for your reply Sherman. I'll assume you have some experience using Scratch Remover. If you're suggesting it's OK to use several thin coats, only if needed, I'll also assume the abrasive polishing power is just a slight level above the Phase 1, Pre-wax Cleaner.

Not something I need to fear in using, but must give SR ësome respect'. I'll use the same thin coats with a light touch, so as to enable to SR to do the work. The same technique as recommended for Phase 1.

Not having used the SR before and not knowing anyone who has, I was a bit fearful as to how strong the SR is. I understand. Rub it on with a light hand action and use thin coats. Inspect the paint surface after each application and I should have good results.

Thanks again for sharing your opinionÖ
  #6  
Old 03-28-2006
Forrest T.'s Avatar
Forrest T. Forrest T. is offline
Mothers® Polish
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,434
Default Re: Need advice in selecting a Polish or Scratch Remover ?

Scratch Remover needs some care when using. Keep in mind it is a polish, and can mar the surface if used incorrectly.

You want to use light pressure with many repetitions for best results. And, attack the scratch from a variety of angles (up/down, side to side, diagonal from both directions, etc). The more angles and the longer you work it, the better the results.

Heavy pressure will mar the surface.

It is far more aggressive than Pre-Wax Cleaner is. I'd also suggest you start out with a terry cloth applicator, as it has more "bite" than a foam or microfiber applicator. Save them for your final polish before using Sealer and Glaze and then wax.
  #7  
Old 03-28-2006
payton34 payton34 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 15
Default Re: Need advice in selecting a Polish or Scratch Remover ?

I would like to jump in with a related question on Mother's scratch remover.

I just got my porter cable 7424 DA buffer. Would it be better and easier to work the Mother's scratch remover on a scratch with my DA buffer?

Thanks,
  #8  
Old 03-28-2006
Forrest T.'s Avatar
Forrest T. Forrest T. is offline
Mothers® Polish
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,434
Default Re: Need advice in selecting a Polish or Scratch Remover ?

Scratch Remover is really made for use by hand.

If you're wanting to use your Porter Cable, a better product choice would be PowerPolish.
  #9  
Old 03-28-2006
Hawci Hawci is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6
Default Re: Need advice in selecting a Polish or Scratch Remover ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T.
Scratch Remover needs some care when using. Keep in mind it is a polish, and can mar the surface if used incorrectly.

You want to use light pressure with many repetitions for best results. And, attack the scratch from a variety of angles (up/down, side to side, diagonal from both directions, etc). The more angles and the longer you work it, the better the results.

Heavy pressure will mar the surface.

It is far more aggressive than Pre-Wax Cleaner is. I'd also suggest you start out with a terry cloth applicator, as it has more "bite" than a foam or microfiber applicator. Save them for your final polish before using Sealer and Glaze and then wax.
Hi Forrest. I'll like to describe the 'cross direction polish technique' I've been using and if you approve. I will apply one coat in only one direction, lightly working the polish in. After a ëhaze and buff out', if needed, I'll apply another thin coat using light pressure rubing it in from an opposite direction. Then continue to change directions with each new coat. This way I can use several thin coats with various directions.
What's your opinion?

OR, are you suggesting to rub in different directions during each coat, as long as the polish remains moist. If it starts to dry a bit while rubbing in, you'll need to re-moisten the pad so as to finish each section ?
  #10  
Old 03-29-2006
Forrest T.'s Avatar
Forrest T. Forrest T. is offline
Mothers® Polish
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,434
Default Re: Need advice in selecting a Polish or Scratch Remover ?

I generally keep working the 1 application of product, changing direction regularly and applying more product to keep it moist.

But, your way would have the advantage of checking the paint more frequently to judge its effectiveness and progress.

Either way should be fine.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scratch Remover mainly for scratch removal? ktlimq Paint Care 10 04-04-2007 01:16 PM
Scratch Remover: better for stain removal too? ktlimq Paint Care 2 05-07-2006 11:49 AM
Scratch Remover Advice kcnal Paint Care 3 03-15-2006 09:29 PM
what is diffence between scratch remover and other polish product? kennie Paint Care 2 04-10-2005 06:34 PM
Removing swirl mark... with Scratch remover! AlexRuiz Paint Care 2 12-12-2004 10:07 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Content Copyright ©1995-2016 Mothers® Polishes•Waxes•Cleaners, Inc.