Post Thanks / Like

stripping off the clearcoat???

i`m getting ready to do all of the Mothers 3 Phase process on my 02 Taurus. i have a DeWalt DW849 polisher and foam finishing pad for the job. do i need to worry about stripping off any of the clearcoat doing this with a wheel? what is the best type of foam pad for new finishes? also, should i use the machine the apply the wax?

p.s. i`ve always been a fan of Mothers products, but if anyone has any better ideas about what chemicals to use i would love to hear them.

-Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    No you shouldent use a rotary for applying Regular Wax just use it by hand. If you have swirls get meguiars pads There cutting,buffing, and finishing pads are great. If you have a new car just get some Klasse AIO and Top it with a good wax IE S100 Or Pinnicle Sourveran.

I would strongly worry about Stripping the clearcoat off a car with a high speed rotary I suggest looking into usage tips IE Meguiars Rotary Video. Check out www.premiumautocare.com for more good products also www.topoftheline.com and www.properautocare.com Put it this way dont use a rotary unless you need cutting power for removeing swirls or oxidation.

For you new Paint get some Sealent IE klasse AIO-SG,Zaino,UPP,Poorboys EX then top off with a carnuba.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: stripping off the clearcoat???

"p.s. i`ve always been a fan of Mothers products, but if anyone has any better ideas about what chemicals to use i would love to hear them."

you can open a large can of worms with that statement here..lol

I`m holding back....it`s just too tempting
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I would definetly go to a PC to learn before even looking at a rotary. You can do some serious damage if you don`t use it right.

Post Thanks / Like
    i used to work for an auto auction using the same rotary polisher wheeling out 40 cars a day. we just used Car Brite polish and made them look shiny enough to go through the auction line. i know how to use a wheel but i don`t want to have bad long term effects just for a quick shine. so no matter what using my wheel will strip off the clearcoat?

p.s. open that can of worms so i can learn a few things

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rotaries should be used only when a finish is so bad that it will take heat and speed combined to really effect a finish...they do tend to cause more problems in the wrong hands....

As far as products go:

Here at premiumautocare ou have some great choices:

The Four Star Line including UPP

My Poorboy`s World line of Products (sun use friendly )

Trade Secret...Boss 429 likes it so it must be good

etc...

there is Klasse AIO and some others too
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Apex8199
    i used to work for an auto auction using the same rotary polisher wheeling out 40 cars a day. we just used Car Brite polish and made them look shiny enough to go through the auction line. i know how to use a wheel but i don`t want to have bad long term effects just for a quick shine. so no matter what using my wheel will strip off the clearcoat?

p.s. open that can of worms so i can learn a few things
    Not no matter what But useing the right pads you can remove swirls meaning sanding down the small scratchs in your clearcoat to make your paint look new again. Useing a finishing pad and a mild polish you cant do much damage. Useing a Cutting Pad and a Diamond cut or other compound you can burn through your clear makeing alot of visible damage on the paint. Once you get the feel for your rotary you will find it to be your best detailing friend. It just takes some times because they make horrible buffer marks. If you want to get the perfert shine, Use Some Meguiars DACP #83 with your Dewalt at no more then 1100rpm`s with a Polshing pad. Then use some #82 Swirl free polish with a W-9000 Meguiars Finishing Pad and see what kind of results you get make sure you work the DACP till almost dry leave the #82 Party wet and whipe at the end try a small panel first somewhere or get an old hood and test out on it. Then top with something like Klasse AIO or Upp,Zaino or the usual`s.

I still Highly Advise Takeing care while working for the first time. Try the Meguiars Video It shows of alot of steps and motions when useing a rotary and compound to remove swirls.

Here is a small link with some tips on useing a rotary polisher.

1 http://www.properautocare.com/uscirpol.html
    2 http://www.properautocare.com/remswiruscir.html
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Bif said it best a few months back

Quote*****

Step away from the buffer, slowly.

Unless you`re very experienced using a rotary, then you could really do some damage.

You steps look good. Go for it by hand or random orbital and make sure your applicators are super clean.

Black is a challenge.

"Once we get this buffer up to 88, you`re gonna see some serious sh*t!"

Post Thanks / Like
    No offense, but if you are asking that question, you shouldn`t be using a rotary. I wouldn`t be caught in the same room as one myself. Using the wrong technique you can burn right through your paint, or create a nightmare of swirls and buffer marks.

Post Thanks / Like
    using a rotary isn`t the problem. like i said i used to polish 40 cars a day using a dewalt rotary. i wanted to know which chemicals to use and not to use since i`ve only used one type of polish with one type of pad and i didn`t have to worry about the long term effects. also, it wasn`t THAT easy to burn the paint. i`ve only done it once and that was because i went over one spot trying to get a scuff out of white paint. any other time i would go over the entire car/truck full throttle and never have swirls or burns.

Post Thanks / Like
    On newer cars with good finishes, i`m sort of partial to the Meguiars yellow polishing pads. They are firm enough to remove minor defects and soft enough to not create any swirls. I would use it for the cleaner and polishing steps (separate pads of course!) and apply the wax by hand. A great all-around pad, I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    what do you think about megs finishing pads for applying glaze or polish on a new finish?

Thread Information