Thread: Difference

Post Thanks / Like

Difference

It`s the new guy again with yet another stupid question. I did my own research on mechanical buffer`s and didn`t quite understand the difference between some of them. I need some clarification.

p.c.

orbital polisher

high speed polisher

being a rookie with one is the safest? Which one is the best though? or do they all have different responsibilities?

Thanx, Preeski

Chadwick's Auto Detailing membim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PC stands for Porter Cable. It is the preferred brand of random orbital (dual action) polisher. The pad jiggles like your hand moving hundreds of times over the same place. It`s also great for applying sealants and liquid waxes. It`s great for people that love to detail their car and do other people`s cars on the side. It`s safe, affordale, and can remove 90% of paint defects. A high speed polisher that doesn`t jiggle, removes that last 10% but also could cause marring if not in the right hands. Personally, I would leave the high speed stuff up to the professionals that have insurance. Nothing fixes blimishes or old paint like a high speed, but it`s just not for beginners.

Post Thanks / Like
    To make it easy on you - you either want a Dual Action (which actually does spin and "jiggle") or a rotory which just spins. The DA (Dual Action) is kind of like the old spriographs if you remember those - where you put the pin in the plastic round thing and it created these spiral flower shapes. Becuase it moves in this way it cannot generate enough heat to damange the paint or clear coat, but this is the reason it is not ideal for really bad scratches or paint repair.

The rotory, on the other hand, just spins and becuase it does not move about like the DA it creates friction on the surface. It`s this friction/heat/action that makes it ideal in scratch repair as it can "move" the paint better and break down abrasives faster and better than a DA. It also cad damage the finsih if you dont` know what your doing! .

If you have no intention of going "pro" then get a Dual Action - my 02 cents!
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. I will start out this weekend trying to master the D.A. and what it`s purpose is. If down the road I need some equipment with more performance, then I will entertain the thought of getting a rotory. For the record I plan to become a professional. That`s a long way off though, But with all the good advice I`ve been recieving from all of you it`s helping me along faster than what I had ever expected.

Preeski

Post Thanks / Like
    PREESKI if you do plan on going pro - you might be better of getting a rotory sooner rather than later
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Groebuck
    why?? Just to learn it right away??

Thread Information