Post Thanks / Like

Black car w/swirls--Help!

Hey, this is my first post. I`ve been lurking and learning for months now, and decided it is time to post because I need some help.

I have a black 2001 Cadillac that has a bunch of swirls and fine scratches. This winter was murder, and now in direct sunlight the paint is really a mess. I am getting ready to detail my car, and I need some input. I want to remove all the swirls and get the best shine possible, I don`t really care how many steps or how long it takes because I will just spread it out over a couple of weekends. It is my daily driver, so I do need some level of durability. I don`t know how to use a buffer, but a friend of mine is really good with one and he will be helping me out.

Here is what I was thinking:

clay
    wetsand with 1500
    compound with rotary
    polish with rotary
    glaze with pc (or rotary?)
    multiple coats of sealant
    multiple coats of polymer wax
    multiple coats of S100

I really need some suggestions on products and process to make this car right. I have been researching for a while and I am just getting confused. I have a bunch of products laying around, mostly Meguiars and some 3M. I also have a good rotary and a Ryobi orbital with 4800 opm speed. I will buy whatever else I need. I will post some before pictures when I get a chancee, and when its done I`ll post some after pictures.

I appreciate the help, thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try just buffing before resorting to wetsanding. Start with the least abrasive approach and move up if its not working.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to wetsand to remove the factory orange peel, I don`t think buffing will do that. I had my 55chevy wetsanded a couple of weeks ago, and it came out perfect. I`ve never wetsanded a black car, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by richanton
    I wanted to wetsand to remove the factory orange peel, I don`t think buffing will do that. I had my 55chevy wetsanded a couple of weeks ago, and it came out perfect. I`ve never wetsanded a black car, though.
    Let me know how it comes out. I`ve never wet sanded except prior to painting ... not for detailing efforts.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you just have to wet sand, get some Meguiars Uni-grit 2000 to do it with. I had to wet sand some scratches and touch ups on a 02 Yukon yesterday and the 2000 was more than enough. It polished up perfect to a wax ready finish with Poorboy`s SSR2 using a Meguiar`s cutting pad on a rotary. It would have taken forever using the PC.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    You`re right, if I go through with the wet sand I will use 2000. Any opinions on what other products I should use?

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, I`ve already decided to ditch the Ryobi and get a pc.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to take your Caddy to a good pro detailer the first time and then buy just what you need to maintain the finish. Wetsanding a car with factory paint is a rather touchy endeavor. The clearcoat is not all that thick.

Tom :cool
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Boss_429
    Well, if you friend knows how to use the rotary buffer well, I think the sanding/compounding/polishing steps you have there will work nicely. I would also recommend the Mequiar`s Uni-grit 2000 paper, or 3M`s Imperial WetorDry paper in 2500, or 2000 grit for the color sanding.

Also, I think the "multiple coats" of sealant/polymer wax/S100 might be a bit of an overkill? :dunno
    All those coats of products won`t do much to prevent new swirls, spider web marks, or scratches from happening again.................... minimizing that will take other precautions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Won`t the wetsanding basically remove the clear? - the orange peel will be in the paint color level not the clear level?
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    I might not wetsand, I haven`t decided yet. I want to remove all of the swirls, and give the car a nice, deep, wet look. I also want to have some durability, that is why I was going to throw on a couple coats of sealant.

My friend (who is also my bodyman) will be working the rotary for the compound and polish, I will be doing the other steps. I am going to buy everything we need, and he is going to help me out. I am still not really sure what I need to remove swirls and really bring the depth out of a black car. I am sure many of you have worked on black cars with great success, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Information