Post Thanks / Like

Brown brake dust? how to remove

hey i just detailed a GMC tahoe and the chrome rims had this brownish rusty lookign brake dust and i couldnt remove it and the customer was getting very angry with me but i diddnt want to mes up his rims any advice???

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of cleaner were you using? Were you using a pressure washer?
    Scott
    Owner
    Gentle Touch Mobile Auto Detailing
    New Orleans

Post Thanks / Like
    Try and acid based cleaner, such as Auto Magic Spoke. Dilute it to just the amount to remove the stain, rinse, and then follow up with soap and water. You can use it on clear coated wheels, I use it all the time at work, you just can`t do it all the time or it will hurt them. This guy sounds like one of those customers who neglects his vehicle and then complains when it`s not perfect. I pass them up the next time and let the other guy deal with them, they aren`t worth my time.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    a mild polish will do and remove the brake dust quickly...:eek NO acid on a plated wheel...the plating is way too fragile and thin...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    thanx guys for the rsponse, i actually used degreaser, then i follwed with megs # 82 polish, i diddnt have my equipment or products with me because i was at a friends house and i was promoting my business and that is how i got the customer so i used my friends stuff at his house and i told the guy that i can do much much better with my stuff but i amde the best out of what i got so mabe some ssr2 or even ssr3 would of done the trick??? also i wasnt pleased at all with # 82 they guys garage had a little heater and it made the polish a pain in the butt to buff off

Post Thanks / Like
    Simonize Chrome polish works wonders on that seemingly baked on brake dust almost rust crap. Wipe it on ... let it sit 15 minutes ... wipe it off ... apply a sealant like UPP and kiss the problem goodby!
    Once you get it off, applying the sealant, makes easy work cleaning the wheels the next time with just car wash shampoo.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

I need more sugar!!!!!! KleanFreak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    zep oven and grill cleaner, or a steam that crap off

Post Thanks / Like
    Acid based wheel cleaner is best for those type of rims. I mix 1 gallon acid cleaner with 4 gallons water in 5 gallon container. Spray on, let sit...not too long...and hit with pressure washer. Not only does the acid awesomely clean the wheels but most acid cleaners have brighteners in them.
    Scott
    Owner
    Gentle Touch Mobile Auto Detailing
    New Orleans

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had very good luck removing those kinds of spots with just plain ole Wenol metal polish. It does take some elbow grease on the tough spots, but no risk of hurting the finish. Try it and you might just like it. There are times I tend to go for the acid, but those times are for the worst of the worst. Hope you get a solution from all of these tips.

-Matt
    ------------------------------------------
    Matt - A part timer!!!

Detailing expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by gentletouch
    Acid based wheel cleaner is best for those type of rims. I mix 1 gallon acid cleaner with 4 gallons water in 5 gallon container. Spray on, let sit...not too long...and hit with pressure washer. Not only does the acid awesomely clean the wheels but most acid cleaners have brighteners in them.
    I totally agree with you my friend. I used an acid base cleaner diluted with water. I leave it on about 10 seconds, pressure wash off, than follow up with soap and water.
    "If I can`t make it shine, it doesn`t shine." Gallop`s detailing waxes all competion."

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by top detailer
    I totally agree with you my friend. I used an acid base cleaner diluted with water. I leave it on about 10 seconds, pressure wash off, than follow up with soap and water.
    And I haven`t had a problem yet with the Meg`s Chrome and Wire Wheel Acid when it is diluted and used on painted wheels that have brake dust "caked" into them. The Powerwash definitely helps out!
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Thread Information