Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Did Poorboy Detail Today

I thought I was going to wait for warm weather but with the new bottle of EX-P staring at me from the shelf I couldn`t stand it so I did a totally Poorboy detail.

The truck was almost clean so I used Spray and Wipe, dried it with a Poorboy mf towel and got out my new Poorboy clay bar. I cut it in half, took the unused half, moistened it with S&W, wrapped it in plastic and put it back in the cool plastic box that it comes in.

While I was doing that I had the half I was going to use sitting next to the heater so it would be easier to fold/stretch/manipulate. This is a good tip I just happened to discover. A piece of clay in a plastic bag sitting next to the engine would warm up pretty quickly and be MUCH easier to manipulate.

Within a minute of two it was very pliable and I immediately liked the texture. It`s yellow and half of the bar was enough to do the whole truck (full sized, extended cab Chevy w/hard tonneau cover).

The clay was very much as I remember the clay from Zaino, that I used all last spring and summer. I`ve got several brands of clay ut the Zaino clay was the only one I`d used until now. The Poorboy clay worked very well, was easy to fold and picked up the "stuff" on the truck very nicely. I also used it on the windows and the chrome wheels after I was done with the paint. No complaints....it worked great and the plastic box it came in will be very handy for storage and reuse. When I got done I put both the used and the unused halfs back into the box with some S&W sprayed in there and then wrapped the box in a plastic bag.

After wiping it with S&W again I got out the PC and the Pro Polish and went to work. Of course I screwed my self by using way toooo much product.....I ALWAYS DO!!!!!!! So I was pretty busy trying to spread it around on several panels before it dried...I`ll never learn. Since I got too much in spots those spots were a little bit hard to wipe off but it went very easily when I used S&W on those spots.

The Pro Polish came off much easier with a ww mf towel than with the normal mf. The normal/plush mf seemed to "grab" as I tried to wipe off the PP but the ww worked very easily.

Then came the EX-P. It`s thick and I had a little trouble getting it to spread evenly. Tomorrow when I put on the second coat I`ll use a little more S&W on the foam applicator so it will spread easier in a thinner coat and I`ll spread it evenly over the applicator with my finger before I put it on the surface.

I used the new PCV applicator from Poorboy.I love the texture and the rectangle shape but I still had some problems holding onto it. I think I still like the large round blue one I got from Auto Zone last year (maybe Eagle brand??...can`t remember for sure). It has a "handle", actually a foam knob, on the top and I loved it last year. I didn`t remember to use it today until I`d dropped the Poorboy applicator 4 or 5 times. I`d love to have an applicator with the texture of Steve`s PCV applicator but built with a handle/knob.

I used the Pro Polish on all the exterior glass and used EX-P on all the exterior glass with the exception of the windshield. I also used Pro Polish and Ex-P on the chrome wheels and then did the tires with Bold N Bright. Total time a little over 4 hours.

The results are, as expected, stunning!! Absolutely stunning!! Going down the street it stands out like a diamond in a goats ass.

Tomorrow I do the engine compartment, the interior, and well as putting on at least 1 more coat of EX-P, probably 2. Then I`ll also use some Pro Polish and EX-P on the door jambs.

It was a long afternoon for this old fart and my arms are feeling it!
    But...the sore body means squat to me as the truck looks great. I went "parading" for a while tonight....until it started to rain! I grapped a sandwich and hurried home to get into the garage and dry it all off. I made it before the streets got messy.

:badabum :cool :beer
    Last edited by JimS; 03-13-2004 at 09:29 PM.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review Jim!

Thanks for the tip about using WW MF for removing Pro Polish. I`ll have to give that a try next time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wait. I understand moistening the pad or the MF, but with S&W. Won`t that add some cleaning ability and change the application process? Help! :-p

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Woob
    Wait. I understand moistening the pad or the MF, but with S&W. Won`t that add some cleaning ability and change the application process? Help! :-p
    It won`t really make much of a difference if it is only light spray to moisten the pad....the EX or EX-P will be on top of it and would not be a problem....

other other hand I would NOT use S&W to aid in the removal of either EX or EX-P, but for polishes like PP or the SSR`s it would be ok...:hippi
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy
    It won`t really make much of a difference if it is only light spray to moisten the pad....the EX or EX-P will be on top of it and would not be a problem....

other other hand I would NOT use S&W to aid in the removal of either EX or EX-P, but for polishes like PP or the SSR`s it would be ok...:hippi
    Gotcha. Thanks. I remembered to use only a little product by the time I got to the EX-P. But I sure layed on the PP thick. Jeez. Where did I get the idea, way back when, that more was better. When I was a kid waxing my first few cars I`d sometimes get the paste wax on so thick it would take a day or two to get it off.

Oh..it was only light spray to moisten the pad. Maybe water would be better?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by awd330
    Nice review Jim!

Thanks for the tip about using WW MF for removing Pro Polish. I`ll have to give that a try next time.
    I use the ww for removing all products. Discovered last year that they work better. It`s gotten to where I don`t use regular mf`s much any more as the ww`s seem to better in many situations.

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmmm, I ve never seen a diamond in a goats A%$ before........:rolling

Post Thanks / Like
    I run warm water over my clay and to make it easier to use.

Gary
    Some people call it a 6 pack, I call it a support group.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are the pics? Before and After?

With Aloha,
    Ranney

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by PakShak
    Where are the pics? Before and After?

With Aloha,
    Ranney
    I don`t think the pics do anything so I don`t take any.

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn`t a picture worth a thousand words?

With Aloha,
    Ranney

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy
    I would NOT use S&W to aid in the removal of either EX or EX-P, but for polishes like PP or the SSR`s it would be ok...:hippi
    EX-P is so easy to remove that I don`t see why anyone would need S&W to remove it.

RESIDENT PROCRASTINATOR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, i think this poorboy`s stuff might actually work :jump

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ranch4x4
    EX-P is so easy to remove that I don`t see why anyone would need S&W to remove it.
    No argument there! Removing the EX-P was like dusting...just a light wipe and the EX-P was off. Can`t wait to get to the garage and get going on todays work.

First a S&W, then EX-P to the exterior and door jambs. Then Natural Look on the interior and then S&W and Bold n Bright on the engine compartment.

Another Poorboy day! I guess the only thing I`ll be using today that is not poorboy is the Blue applicator with the big knob on top. Eagle One?

EDIT: It`s a Viking applicator...see the link in the post below. Thanks woob!
    Last edited by JimS; 03-14-2004 at 09:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure it isn`t the Viking applicator? http://autopia-carcare.com/vk-101.html

Glad to see you love S&W. You will want a 5 gallon soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information