Thread: Carwash 101

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Carwash 101

Hey, you guys, just for us newbies.....

From reading the posts, a couple of questions for the pros:

1. Brush vs. mit vs. cloth
    Maybe I`m paranoid, but I picture a bunch of tiny grit particles awash in road oils on the car before washing. The job is to get rid of all of them, without pressing the grit across your previously-established finish. To this end, it seems that a brush would be better. A cloth or mit seems more likely to hold the grit particles, and allow pressure points, such as the heel of your palm, to grind them into the surface, as you wash. Is it alright to use a soft-bristle brush for all areas, or just the bottom areas?

2. Carwash product
    After seeing Dawn mentioned in a couple of threads, I went out and got some, and did the old Aerostar. Couldn`t hurt that old derelict, anyway. Later, I saw a thread that semed to hint it is a harsh product [Anthony wouldn`t use it]. Is it a no-no for a weekly wash product? BTW, has anyone tried the new Mr. Clean system?

3. (Great admission of ignorance) What is the basic theory on eliminating water spots?

Rock on, DC!
    :mohawk
    Make mine DC!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carwash 101

Originally posted by Stick
    1. Brush vs. mit vs. cloth

2. Carwash product

3. What is the basic theory on eliminating water spots?

My thoughts. (Not a pro, though)

1. Mitts, like 2. One for the wheels and lower body, one for the remainder of the vehicle.

2. Give the Dawn to your wife for the dishes. Use any name brand car wash product. I have had good luck with Meguiar`s Gold Class, Blue Coral, Turtle Wax, The Treatment. Personally, I have never used what I would call a bad car wash shampoo. Others have.

3. Don`t let the water dry so it leaves spots. If it happens, I use a quick detail product to remove them. If they don`t remove with the QD, I use a cleaner/polish on them. In my case that is Klasse AIO, but there are several good ones available.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Re: Carwash 101

1) NO BRUSHES! Even Boar`s Hair is still found to mare the surface. I would not think a brush holds dirt, just like a broom, it just moves the dirt. You have to factor in the bristles and the dirt that will build up at the top

2) I use to use Dawn in a second tub with hot water, this is my rinse water. However Dawn is not recommended, so I have decided not to (since I believe it dries out the surface and removes everything on the surface). I might try putting some Murphy Soap in my rinse water to get all the dirt out.

3) Eliminate water spots by not letting hard water evaporate. You can filter your hard so no calcium or mineral deposits run. Or you can keep your surface wet all the time. Use a polish if it hardens. If it etches, you`ve got problems.

Hope I could help! :hippi

Post Thanks / Like
    100% wool mitts are said to be the best and they are to be used with the 2 bucket method. One bucket to rinse the dirt out of the mitt and the other for dipping the mitt to pick up fresh soapy water.

I use Dawn when I want to remove all the wax, sealants etc. If I don`t want to start from scratch I use car washing soap like Mequiars Gold or others.

I blow dry or towel dry so I seldom have spots. In fact I seldom wash the truck. I use Poorboys Spray and Wipe most of the time. Last summer I washed only about once a month and used S&W daily or almost daily.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Brushes scratch
    2. Dawn is only good to remove wax, do not use it as a weekly wash, just buy some brand of car wash soap, I have had good experiences with almost all of them and some of them cost about the same as the Dawn
    Nate

Practice makes "PERFECT" clean4u's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with JimS 2bucket system all da way try and ull see da difference
    "A Clean Ride is a Happy Ride" To some its just a Ride!!!! So True!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    1. I use nothing but lambs wool wash mitts. The Viking ones are quite nice and fairly priced.
    2. Dawn belongs in the kitchen. Use a good quality car wash for your regular washing. Meguiar`s Gold Class is one of the best values going.
    3. Water spots can be eliminated by keeping a good coat of wax on the car and making sure you dry it completely. A waffle weave microfiber towel is the best way to do that. A hit of quick detail spray will remove any light spots that do appear.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, clarity! I love it, when everybody agrees. Thanks for the lesson, gents.
    Make mine DC!

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of the lambs wool mit _- I got one (and I cannot remember where but it was either walmart of pep boys) - it has a thumb on it like a big ole mitten - anyhoooo - this thing rocks over my old mit - rinse out great and when I put it in the soap bucket it puffs up and holds a ton!
    You have activated my special ability....

Thread Information