Post Thanks / Like

Talking California Car Duster Virgin

I dont know how I managed to own a black car and not have the
    Original California Car Duster in my bag-o-tricks!!??!!

I had washed and waxed last weekend after a short road trip. The car was in the garage most of the week and had a nice thin layer of dust built up. I took this bad boy to the car and BAM, I had the freshly waxed look back. Next took some Z6 (QD) and the deep wet look was on again!!

I can see that the duster is gonna save me some wash time! I highly recommend it to anyone with a black car. Later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good I was always scared of those because of reports that they can make swirls.
    www.exotiXboard.com

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lucky. I`ve had nothing but horrid experiences with it. I just use s&w. I`ve scratched as well as seen many people i know scratch up there cars with it. I`m glad it`s working for you. I just hope it continues to. Not saying it won`t. Just be careful.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the warnings. It worked great for me the first go around, but I will be careful! I am about to place an order for S&W and look forward to trying it. It would seem to me that any time you take a rag or duster to a dirty car there is a good chance you will scratch the car? Later.

Right Wing Conservative NozeBleedSpeed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The CCD is great.The key to using it is to hold it above the paint and just let the tips of the mop lightly drag the surface.The object is to have the mop attract the dust off of the surface without scrubbing.Ive seen people slap it flat on the paint and start swirling.Only use it to pick up dust.Never try to clean the surface.I always follow it up with an MF and and a QD.It will save you from smearing the dust as you QD.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve seen very faint marring caused by it. The only use it gets now is mini-blinds and dashboards.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    What does "marring" look like?

Cant let the wife know that it works on mini-blinds otherwise she might be out in the garage in my "stuff!" Later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just give that duster to the wife straight away! Get one of the small ones to use on your dash and stop there. Too much risk involved in using one of those CCDs on your paint. One rushed dusting and you`ll spend a full day polishing to correct it! Wait for your S&W to arrive. It actually contains surfectants that lift the dirt up so you can lightly wipe it off. Make sure you just wipe in one straight direction.
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    Who knew that keeping a car clean could be so complicated?

So, opinion is dump the duster. No one has any positives to say about it, but everyone loves S&W.

So, will using a microfiber towel on my car on a daily basis increase my chances of swirl marks? What causes them? I just want to stay away from messing up my black beauty. We all have seen that neglected black car in the mall lot that looks like crap and it just scares me.

Thanks. Later.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    BLack is a curse, just admit that to yourself right now, but its quite a beautiful curse when done right.

Basically, using a MF towel and S&W followed by a QD session on a daily basis would keep you with a VERY well maintained car. Swirl marks are going to happen eventually, but you can do your best to keep them down and to get rid of them.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Its true no matter what swirls will keep comeing back.
    www.exotiXboard.com

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I don`t know anything about the CCD that you can buy at the discount stores, I happen to be very happy with the CCD`s I am using.
    They have a wood handle and the yarn is probably at least 50% thicker strands than the ones at Wal-Mart. Maybe even double. I have one that I have been using for 15 years, one that is about 5 or 6 years olf, and one of what they call the "Super Duster". The Super Duster is a little larger and has the yarn all the way around the handle in a cylinder shape. They have been used many, many times prior to a QD session. If I am really pressed for time, I will use just the CCD.
    Now, swirls, yes I have some. When I don`t use the CCD, I have some. Unfortunately, as has been mentioned, I think swirls are a fact of life, especially on dark colors.
    Make your own decision on the CCD. I use them and like them. When the swirls get to where they bother me, I use Meg`s #9, and start over. It seems like I need the #9 about once a year, CCD or no CCD.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had good luck with the CCD and all three of my black cars. As NoseBleed said, "how" you use it is key to not creating unwanted micro marring. You have to know when not to use it as well vs. a wash being needed. I like it for pre S&W to get the dust off. What I`ve found to work good with the S&W too is a bucket of water for removing the S&W with a damp MF towel and then buffing with a dry towel. You do have to be careful with the CCD and having at least a second one for below the moldings and bumpers helps also.

Thread Information