Post Thanks / Like

New car (possibly)

I`ve got an offer from the owner at work to buy my SHO for his son. It`s got 90k mi and I`m just about ready to tear the whole thing apart and most likely drop at least $5k into it. After it`s still a 97 SHO with 90k and worth the same as before I started. So here`s what I`m thinking. They`ve got a mint 96 F-150 4x4 w/ 120k on it I can trade for my SHO and pocket some money. That would be a great work/winter truck, mileage doesn`t matter because I can tear a 5.0 apart with my eyes closed. Instead of my econobox Focus, which I`m using for work now and would have no use for, I`m thinking about a nice high end entry car. Right now I`m inbetween a 325 Coupe and a C230 sedan....C Coupes are ugly IMO. I know a couple people here have 3 series. What I`d like to know before I take the plunge is about:

Insurance
    Maintenance, because I over maintain my cars
    Reliability/build quality
    Overall driving characteristics, as I`ve only rode in an older C class

This is going to be a car I keep a very long time so I want the best for around $30-40k. I`m open to other vehicle suggestions also. (NO FWD!!!!) I guess if I get rid of the SHO I`ll have to change my name......

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    good luck in which ever you choose.. don`t ask me about selling my babies..I have a collection because I can`t seem to part with any of them
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car (possibly)

For my 2002 BMW 330xi sedan:

Insurance: It`s less than I thought it would be. Depends mostly on the driver`s rating as well as whether it is a primary vehicle and driven to/from work. Repair costs can be high, but occupant injury rates are low.

Maintenance: Maintenance is free for the first few years. Mine was for 36 months or 36000 miles, but I believe it`s longer for current model year cars. You can also purchase extended maintenance contracts when you get close to the end of your free maintenance period.

Reliability/build quality: Excellent so far, and I am very picky.

Overall driving characteristics: Feel, feedback, and responsiveness are all excellent. Always goes exactly where you want it to go.

My 2 cents - If you plan to keep your vehicle for a long time, make sure you configure it exactly the way you want it. You don`t want to regret skipping a particular option when you`ll be stuck with that car for years.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always customize my cars so as long as the big options are there (5 speed, sunroof) that`s really all I need. Working on cars is like crack to me so I want something I can work with.
    Here`s what I came up with:

2004 325Ci Coupe

Titanium Silver Metallic
    $475

Interior
    Black Leatherette

Aluminum Brushed Columns Trim
    Packages
    Sport Package
    $1,000

MSRP
    $30,500

Price as configured
    $33,720

Options
    Power Glass Moonroof
    $1,050

I`ve got the same problem as you Poorboy, I can`t seem to give up my cars. I hate the thought that some dirtball will wind up with it. Actually, the owners son trashed every car he`s had. It`s just too much right now to keep up with how I maintain them. I keep our 5 cars spotless (only the 5.0 is garaged) so I`m working about an hour a day on just my stuff. I don`t have the time to work at the dealership 40+ hours a week, and then do 3-4 more customer details plus mine and work on my Xpel dealership.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the 330 Ci with Performance Package, Moonroof, and Xenons. All worth it. If you really want a detail paint, don`t get silver. I keep telling myself I`ve put in the effort, but the big pop just isn`t there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was close to picking up the 2004 325i (sedan), so I did the legwork to find out the "costs" of the car. The car didn`t seem any higher to insure than other cars in its price range. Maintenance program was for 4 years, I think. The car drove well, but was a little low on HP. The shifter worked well. I sat in the non-power adjustable leatherette seats. Felt like rubber and it had several levers to move different parts of the seat. Would go with the leather.

I ended up with the G35 because of the LSD, higher hp, 6 speed, lower overall price and good resale value, but I think the build quality of the 325 is better as well as the driving position.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dude ! - for the money of a new 330 you can get a late model used M3! - (convertable even!)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r=&cardist=231

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r=&cardist=318
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    I like M3`s but I`m just affraid of buying an abused one. I know someone that got a used 97 and it`s a money pit. Lack of power in a 325 doesn`t bother me as I can always make it faster and I`d like to put in some Katzkin leather/suede seat covers inplace of just leather. Leather is too slippery for going around corners. If I get a chance Sat. I`m going to run up to the BMW dealer and check a couple out, the MB dealer is litterally next door also. I`m still not sure which one I`ll get but I`m looking at spring `05 to buy as I never buy a car going into winter. If my experience with Ford was better I`d love an 05 Stang, but our Moutaineer has been in the shop every other month for 2 years, my moms 98 Taurus which looks brand new has some build quality issues, my brothers Escape just had everything rebuilt but the engine, and my old Sport Trac had reliability problems of it`s own. Who knows, if my Xpel dealership (as well as another business venture I`m waiting to get a patent/trademark for) takes off I may just spring for a new M3. The good thing is, I`m not married so she can`t say no!
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah there is that - well I got nothing against beemers (I used to work for BMWFS once upon a time) and Mercedes but for less than 30K I would get a G T O baby - read a review in MT where they compared it to the Mercedes AMG - basically you can get two GTO`s for one AMG - either that or the new Subaru (heck even the Saab 9x looks schweet) - but if I can only choose Merc or Beemer - I would go Beemer -

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by groebuck
    Yeah there is that - well I got nothing against beemers (I used to work for BMWFS once upon a time) and Mercedes but for less than 30K I would get a G T O baby - read a review in MT where they compared it to the Mercedes AMG - basically you can get two GTO`s for one AMG - either that or the new Subaru (heck even the Saab 9x looks schweet) - but if I can only choose Merc or Beemer - I would go Beemer -
    Biimmmmmmmer. Its Bimmmmer. Sorry to be technical, gotta represent the BMW. Choose what you want for price and long term investment. Oh and don`t forget about the detail supplies:lol

Post Thanks / Like
    BEEEEEEMEEEER - technical my foot I worked for em B! :lol

actually we just called em the 3 the z or the M (when I worked for em we got to get them as leases for 90 days - so basically we all had a brand new BMW every three months - and you could pick - from a 318 all the way to the 740il!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Right G. How come there is a magazine with the spelling "Bimmer"? Must I use the all mighty Google Engine to find why Bimmer is correct?:flamed

Post Thanks / Like
    hehehehe - y`all get too touchie hehe

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by groebuck
    hehehehe - y`all get too touchie hehe
    :dunno T`is alright You rock grow! :headbang When are ya free? :LOLOL

Thread Information