Seeking the perfect shine C_Rock77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with starting a "mobile detail on weekends" service

What`s up guys and gals? I`m pretty new here, as I`m sure you can tell from my join date and my number of posts. I got referred over here by the Jngrbrdman.

A good friend of mine and I are pretty well known by our friends how "anal" we are about our cars` finishes. Just recently, we decided to take a leap into a semi-professional venture of detailing cars on the weekends for some extra cash.

Neither of us are sure how big this venture will get, but we`re keeping an open mind. Really, if we only get enough details to pay for our equipment and supplies we invested in, I`ll be satisfied. Well, not to say that I wouldn`t love to make this into a venture where we both can make some good money....just saying that if it doesn`t reach that level, I`m not going to be devestated. We alredy have 4 or so full details lined up with friends and one of my relatives.

My question is this: How did most of you promote your business? How do you set yourselves apart from other detailers in your area? I realize that return customers are the basis for any mobile detialing business, but all those return customers were NEW customers at one time. How`d you get the new ones? I`ve read about a few good ideas of promotion on here, and was hoping that possibly some of you could throw some more my way. I just feel like once we get a few customers, word of mouth will be a big help.

We`re new to the use of the PC 7424. Neither of us have used one. I`ve been researching quite a bit, though. I have one on the way, and look forward to trying it. So, can any of you lead me to some fairly in-depth literature on it`s use(s) and techniques?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to hear some ideas on this topic as well!

One thing I`m thinking of trying, C_rock, is maybe doing some freebies in hopes of getting some referalls. Targetting some upper class individuals and doing their vehicles for a discount or for free may be a great way to get word of mouth going. I`m new to the mobile detailing business world as well, so I can`t speak from experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    This topic was heavily discussed on several occasions. There was a wonderfull thread created that contains alot of very helpfull and effective information/tools.

http://www.detailcity.com/forums/sho...&threadid=2636

Read through this, and if you still have pertinant questions, fire away!

Goodluck and godspeed!
    -Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know about the freebies but a discount offer is one way... I started out doing a co workers car for half price on the agreement that he would spread the word.. ( He enjoys playing golf and told alot of his buddies who he plays golf with)... It worked out pretty well he got 2 cars done for the price of one and I got few more customers.... don`t be afraid to talk to people you will be surprised..

Badmother pointed you in the right direction that thread contains alot of useful info...
    DISTINGUISHED DETAILING

Work and hope, but don`t hope more than you work!

Thread Information