Post Thanks / Like

3M`s pads--buffer scratches ??

3M`s pads--buffer scratches ??
    Hey,

today I was using #83, and #82 with 3M`s convoluted polishing pad at 1800 rpm, which created LOTS of buffer scratches--that is very fine scratches going in circles, matching the pad`s radius. Then I moved to 3M`s 5937 Machine glaze, which is suited to be used with 3M`s polishing pad (I wanted to make sure, I used the right combination of products from the same company to ascertain that what was wrong wasn`t innapropriate choice of pad and product combo).

End result was : still a LOT of buffer scratches. The pad was primed but still it didn`t change anything. I`ve used higher speed, lower speeds, medium pressure, no pressure at all, etc etc etc... to no avail. Hte paint is a single stage paint and that is a repaint.

What could possibly be wrong ?

I have Meg`s pads and products, but thought to myself : what if someone uses 3M`s line of products ?? I mean could it be 3M` doesnt have something to remove all cobwebs ?

Best ...

Post Thanks / Like
    today i tested out my brand new rotary with the same pads and the same Machine glaze. boy that thing pulls even at the lower rpms. i noticed some stratches too but it`s probably due to my inexperience. these are the first time i used 3m`s "waffle" style pads. is it better to use the more conventional "flat" pads instead of the waffle? also, the rotary seemed to gum up fast and skip alot. could i be using too much product?

Post Thanks / Like
    We did lots of testing with waffle design in the 90`s before 3M sued everyone for their patent on that product. Our results were that the bumps created swirls because the pad was not flat on the surface, the bumps when spinning line up and make 4 rings of marring, the bumps tear off and create an uneven buffing surface, and their was no significant heat difference. The flat pads rode smoother, created a better shine in less time since more surface area was on the working surface. That left us wondering why 3m would make this design. That was answered when we saw how they were packaged. When you buy that pad you actually have to buy two of them and peel them apart. They take a very expensive peice of foam and cut it directly in half. This makes two pads for the price of one! Genius and great marketing which 3M is famous for. Most other companies have almost twice as much foam in one pad for less money. Everywhere the waffle pad goes in, is the out on the other pad. Not to mention that there is no centering, the velcro is very very thin, and the rough glue is exposed all the way to the edge creating a dangerous abrasive edge.

Post Thanks / Like
    eek! a pad that makes things worse?
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    The Edge,

I totally agree with what you say, as those waffle pads create lots of marring on my paint. However I wonder why you were the only one to reply on this topic. What is more, I even wonder why bodyshops use them ??? Don`t they get marred finish too ?? I use Meg`s flat pads, and to me the difference is obvious.

One other very puzzling point is : If I use 3M`s machine glaze (5937) with their pad recommendation which is the waffle polishing pad, how can I get a scratch free finish ????? I`ve tried every possible way : higher speed, lower speed, more pressure, no pressure at all, more compound, less compound, and the finish was still heavily marred no matter what technique I used.......by the way this was with a rotary buffer.

The Edge, do you work in a bodyshop, you sound like you got quite a bit of experience there.

Best.....

Post Thanks / Like
    He he and some people swear by those convoluted pads
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ripped a pad one day and had to runt o the local Auromotive Paint shop to get another and all they had was those 3M egg crate looking ones. They blew! The tore up and did not break the products down. I will never use a 3M pad again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Bill,

one some paint, it may give good results, prolly on very hard clear coated paint, where it`s harder to marr the surface, but on softer paints outchh, it`s awfully covered with scrathes. Flat pads as to me are the norm, as they leave far less marring behind.

Got to hit the buffer now....later ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Agh, both my clears are hard and when scratch , a bear of a time of polish out. I`m staying away from anything that could induce additional marring.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Chip,
    I make buffing pads! www.edgepads.com

Post Thanks / Like
    3M pads suck. Every one I`ve used tears very easy. The compounding pad mars BIG TIME and is only good for 2-3 uses before it falls apart. That said, it`s all I use at work because I work for a penny pinching car stealership. They pay $7.50 each. Lets just say their details look like what they pay for them. All I`ve used on my own are Edge pads of various relabels (Car Brite, Auto Magic, etc). I`ve also tried out a couple Meguiars pads but never liked how they felt on the car....almost too thick.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Shotime! Thanks for the plug and glad you like our pads, you should be able to get them alot cheaper than 3M`s and also you should be able to show your Stingy boss that one Edge pad will out last about 2 of the 3M`s which have about half as much foam in them.

Thread Information