Post Thanks / Like

getting over spray off?

I have a vehicle to take care of this coming Thursday. The owners are having an addition built to their garage and the painted managed to get some overspray on their vehicles. They were parked away from the garage (on the other side off a ways) and was parked upwind. I`m thinking that a good washing and a good clay then a slight polish then a wax should take care of it. But I wanted to get some input from some other people and see if anyone else had any other thoughts. Any inpu would be greatly appreciated!
    Jan

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of paint was being used on the addition? ... that will determine what product(s) to use to remove it
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Practice makes "PERFECT" clean4u's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your right basically same thing happen to me wash the vehicle clay and polish wax will do the trick
    "A Clean Ride is a Happy Ride" To some its just a Ride!!!! So True!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by kimwallace
    What type of paint was being used on the addition? ... that will determine what product(s) to use to remove it
    it`s an oil based exterior paint....it`s hardly noticeable untill your`e real close to the vehicle and looking for it....part of the owners concern is that it`s a leased vehicle so he doesn`t want to have to turn it in and have to pay for a new paint job.

Oh yeah...it`s black and the over spray is a dark tan color....
    Jan

Post Thanks / Like
    I would wash first and just clay a small area to make sure that when the clay picks up the over spray that it (the oil based paint specs) do not scratch the paint. That can happen but more often with a Latex based paint. If that happens, Try the polish or get a solvent to remove the paint ... usually mineral spirits or enamel reducer will do the trick ... if not step up to a laquer thinner that you can buy at wal-mart etc. ... Be careful, while most Clearcoat finishes are resistant to laquer thinner some of the plastic pieces may not be.
    Hopefully the wash and clay will do the trick.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    the owner said that he was ablt to get some of the spots off with just his fingernail...telling me that they shouldn`t be too embedded in the clear coat....but it did make me nervous to hear him say that....I`m just picturing someone gouging into the clear with their finger nail...and having a bunch of little scratch marks...lol

oh well

we`ll see how it goes....
    Jan

Post Thanks / Like
    I love it when people tell me "I could get it off with my fingernail" You can use either the clay you mentioned some works better than others. Red clay magic will get most any overspray off. Or use a solvent, I use a bug and tar remover that I know is "Paint safe" that gets of certain overspray. No offense to kim above but I would not use Laquer thinner on anybodys paint, or mineral spirits. Murphy`s law just too dangerous. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah...I`m going to stay (and always have) as far from laquer thinner.....mineral spirits on some parts though....but nothing like laquer thinner....
    Jan

Thread Information