Thread: Winter`s Coming

Post Thanks / Like

Winter`s Coming

I was wondering what some of you guys do in the winter for income. For me I work in the electronics industry doing phone sales. I hope that by spring of 04 to take my deatil biz full time:google
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    My last winter was spent hanging out in my barroom, hibernating, watching television, reading detailing forums, playing multiplayer online games, and dreaming of detailing again... all this while my poor wife went out and worked.

This winter a customer whose delivery trucks I take care of has offered me a job for the winter at his bed and matress store. So I`ll most likely sell beds/mattresses and make deliveries for him...

Fortunately, it`s such a short winter here that I`m only away from detailing and pressure washing for about two and a half months (December, January, and February).

Onthespot
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the good thing for me is that I work from the hosue so I will be online here every day (watch out) I plan on watching the weather to pickup cars as I can and always on the weekends.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    How bad does the weather get in N. California and North Carolina during the winter months?

I will send you some WNY and CNY winter weather if you want.

Come to think of it most of Detailers list in the phone book here are fixed location. "Build it and they will come."

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by edschwab1
    How bad does the weather get in N. California and North Carolina during the winter months?

I will send you some WNY and CNY winter weather if you want.
    Eric
    No thanks! I`m originally from the snow belt in northern Ohio. I don`t miss all that lake effect snow. Here in NC we mostly get ice. Some snow, but nothing compared to up north. However, It does get very cold here due to the elevation (almost 3000 feet above sea level).

Onthespot

Post Thanks / Like
    Onthespot,
    Are you in the mountains? I am unfamilar with the geography of NC. I know people who moved to Charlotte, NC from Upstate NY. They told me when it snows or winter weather driving conditions arrive people play bumper cars.

By the way I will box up and send Lake effect snow to anybody who wants it this winter.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to feel for those that are in heavy snow areas. Here in northern CA it does not snow but we get our fair share of rain.
    One thing about people here in this state is car cleaning for most is a fair weather thing. Its more of a mind set than anything. I`ve had a lot of people say " I want to get my car cleaned for winter to protect it" :beat
    I feel like this when I hear that:doh

Anywho the steady job is going to be the income until mother nature gives me some good weather in the spring:jump

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    How does the detail biz do for anyone with a fixed location during the winter? We`re out here in Georgia and we really don`t have winter as most would say, I think this past winter I wore shorts most of the year.

J.D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by edschwab1
    Onthespot,
    Are you in the mountains? I am unfamilar with the geography of NC.

Eric
    Yes, In the heart of the Smoky Mountains in NC. The far western section of the state. Down here they just don`t seem to have the expertise to deal with the ice and snow on the roads compared to the northern snow regions...
    When a `bad` storm hits (2-3 inches of snow), everything shuts down. People rush to the store prior to the storm to `brace` themselves for the blizzard that`s coming
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."

Post Thanks / Like
    Winter...

My biz is part-time (at least it started that way) so this winter will be like a vacation. My full time occupation hours are from 9:30 PM to 5:00 AM...
    No buff to tuff

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Winter is actually a pretty busy time for detailers in Florida I would imagine. Since its a place that a lot of people go to hide from the snow, the population jumps in the winter months. Of course, unless you like detailing wheel chairs and walkers then its really not that much business I guess. Detail City will be just as busy so at least I`ll still have work. :headbang

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually do a "winterize your car promotion" in the local paper to try and get one last batch of cars. Then I hold my breath till next spring. Late january and all of february is a great time for hand washes. I worked at an automatic carwash around that time last year. We did 850 cars on our best day!!!!

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter`s Coming

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels
    How does the detail biz do for anyone with a fixed location during the winter?
    I`m a little worried about this J.D.. I pay rent on my shop, so....
    I`m a new business, so I don`t know what the result will be. I doubt anyone will want a wax, but we are a salty, rusty area, so I`m sure we`ll get some washes and interior cleaning.
    Most of what we do is a paint renewal, so we may still have some call for that. I work with detailers a lot, and they still want to move cars.
    I`m hoping to rent a little to the Paintless Dent Removal guy. As it is I let him do his work in my shop in the winter for free when I`m also doing some detailing, so I doubt that`ll be any income.
    This winter I plan to schmooz with car dealers, practice with some new products, paint the shop, learn to do better accounting, etc.
    I`d still like to make some cash though.

Thread Information