Post Thanks / Like

alot of tiny chips on hood

Hey all..

I`ve got a bit of a problem .. I`m about do a full detail on my `95 Honda Integra Vti-r in a few weeks time... but, looking closely at the bonnet, there are a fair few (20 - 30) little chips where the white primer underneath can be seen. Basically the paint must be thinner on the bonnet, but in any case these can only be covered using touch up paint.

The question is, they are TINY..like probably quarter the size of a match stick head - but you can see them..some might be as big as a matchstick head - still fairly small....

So with applying touch up paint, theres basically no way I can apply it without it blobbing up over the surface...

I thought about applying t.u. paint to the most noticable ones (say 10 or so), and then wetsanding just the blob itself on each(using a pencil with 2000 or 1500 grit stuck on the rubber) .. then proceeding to use DACP/fine-cut to deal with the swirls problem, in line with the rest of the detail.

Would langka be a safer and more effective option in this case? I feel (with langka) it wont be perfectly smooth though, as would wetsanding if done properly..

My mirrors are also covered with little white dots..

Love to hear peoples advice...THX

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a product that will even out the blobbing but I can`t for the life of me think what it is called right now.
    You have activated my special ability....

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Langka
    It is a so-so product. I find it hard to use but YMMV.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    I tell my customers that rock chips are all apart of a car. I`ve used Lanka with decent results but you will always see the chips. Wet sanding is a good process but you need some pratice!!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive tried Langka on one chip about 5X and still looks like crap. Just doesnt work on Metallic. Its a huge chip (rock off a dump truck) and I am at my wits end

Post Thanks / Like

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint chips

Aheyn:
    Dalton:

Sometimes the damage is such that painting the panel is the only solution.

Since I quite often keep my cars several years, I have had to do this on a couple of them. The damage wasn`t really all that bad, but it was driving me crazy.
    I had the all the vertical front painted on a Lincoln Mark V because of multiple rock chips. Like 100`s. The front was straight up & down and the rocks and bugs really made an impact. I also had an entire 1/4 panel painted on another car because of one chip/ding that was about 3/16" in diameter. I couldn`t get it touched up to my satisfaction and since it was about the only flaw on the entire car, it was driving me nuts. (Wife thinks it was a short trip)

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    If I keep a car long enough to get a bunch of chips , I usually head to the body shop for a repaint. Chips on the hood are especially noticeable and will stand out no matter how good you are with a brush or toothpick.

One of the top detailers in my area and the guy I go to for PDR work has a new chip/scratch repair process that he has just started to use. It`s called SSR - Sprayless Scratch Repair. It`s a franchised process. I`ve watched them do the work. The results are rather amazing. It`s not as good as a complete repaint, but it`s better than chips. Use one of your search engines and enter "sprayless scratch repair".

Charles, I am glad to know that there is at least one other old guy who is every bit as fussy as I am.

Tom:cool
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    the only thing that worries me is the colours then wont match .... like the side panel and then bonnet will be slightly different. I dont want that at all .... want them identical..

My paint hasnt faded much, still looks top notch, but I just dont think they`d be able to match it perfectly.

Thread Information