Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Spray & Wipe Applications

This question was asked in another thread but I think it deserves more attention ... How dirty is too dirty to use Spray and Wipe ... second part ... After spraying it on how do you recommend removing??

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, if my car is extermely dirty with grit and mud I would rinse before using my spray and wash. One man`s opinion!
    Ron - always trying to improve and perfect my trade

Click here to visit my gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    If the dirt looks heavy, hose it off then use S&W.

I would only use a MF towel to wipe it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, if i drive my car through the salt (which really sticks to the paint) and then hose it off ... Is Spray and wipe going to work without scratching? I assumed I would use a MF to remove it, but do you wipe one direction or back and forth and how often do you turn the towel?
    Thanks for your help, my S&W is sitting in the garage begging to be used.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same questions when I first wanted to start using S&W.

I wipe back and forth lightly without using much pressure, if any. I turn it when it gets dirty. Don`t use too much product either, I know it`s scary and you want to flood the entire panel with spray, but trust me just a squirt or two can go a long way.

I haven`t seen any swirls from S&W thus far!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ranch4x4
    I had the same questions when I first wanted to start using S&W.

I wipe back and forth lightly without using much pressure, if any. I turn it when it gets dirty. Don`t use too much product either, I know it`s scary and you want to flood the entire panel with spray, but trust me just a squirt or two can go a long way.

I haven`t seen any swirls from S&W thus far!
    :yeah

excellent description....you are definitely on a roll today..play the lottery:dunno
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Boss_429
    Originally posted by kimwallace
    So, if i drive my car through the salt (which really sticks to the paint) and then hose it off ... Is Spray and wipe going to work without scratching? I assumed I would use a MF to remove it, but do you wipe one direction or back and forth and how often do you turn the towel?
    Thanks for your help, my S&W is sitting in the garage begging to be used.
    kimwallace,

Personally, I think a "salty" vehicle requires washing.......... again, to make sure all the salt is out of the areas where one simply can`t wipe with the S & W. My process is to wash the vehicle "lightly" with a car wash, and THEN........... come back and wipe down with Spray & Wipe. To me, that insures a pretty clean paint surface.

Keep in mind that after an entire winter of salt, one needs to do more than wash, and/or S & W to get all the "crap" off the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boss_429, I agree with you process completely. Any foreign abrasive should be rinsed or washed off your paint before wipping down if possible.
    Ron - always trying to improve and perfect my trade

Click here to visit my gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    That is what I thought about the salt residue. That stuff seems like sandpaper. It just seemed like people were using Spray and Wipe over everything.
    Boss ... I know what you mean I have lived through almost 50 winters here in PA ... 34 of them driving and trying to keep the salt off. Thanks for your help everyone!
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used it over salt and all sorts of crud...the trick is to be very gentle, have lots of mf, and do it twice....yes it is best to rinse IF you can...but IF you have no other choice it is safe and can be done anywhere...

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I like S&W but there is no way that I would use alone on heavy dirt or grit. When my car is dusty I use a california duster and then use S&W.

Post Thanks / Like
    It has more lubricant and surfactants than soap and water and is much safer than dragging dirt around with the ccd.
    Just remember not to use any pressure and turn your mf often to a clean side(which can`t be done with a ccd)

Post Thanks / Like
    If the vehicle is excessively salty, it is preferable to do a regular wash. However, if you`re in the middle of a bitter cold spell, it may not be possible to pull out the garden hose for a wash or even a quick rinse. This winter has brought uncommonly low temperatures along with significant snow/ice to my neck of the woods. So, it`s been quite a challenge to maintain my high standards of car cleanliness and shine.

I`ve been experimenting with a new routine which seems to work pretty well under these conditions. While parked in the garage, I spray liberal amounts of S&W onto the surface and let it sit for a few minutes. During this time, I prepare two buckets of warm water (one plain water and one with several drops of car wash soap). By the time I get back to the car, the S&W pre-soak has done a good job of dissolving and lifting dirt from the surface. At this point, I gather up 2-3 wash mitts and proceed to do the 2 bucket wash method. When the rinse water starts to look dirty, I get a fresh bucket of water and switch to a fresh mitt at the same time. After I finish "washing", I blot dry with a waffle weave MF towel. Then, I reach for the Spray & Wipe bottle for a second time and apply/remove using normal S&W technique. This second pass is to ensure that any remaining soap residue is removed. If I am feeling especially ambitious, I will follow-up with a gloss enhancing quick detail spray (like QD+ or FD) to bring back some "pop".

Post Thanks / Like
    So with SW is the MF doing the cleaning with the SW lubbing and loosening - much like the lube when claying?

Or is SW grabbing the dirt and suspending it in solution?
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by dalmore
    So with SW is the MF doing the cleaning with the SW lubbing and loosening - much like the lube when claying?

Or is SW grabbing the dirt and suspending it in solution?
    It seems to be more a case of S&W loosening, lifting, and suspending. The dirt is then carried away by the passing mitt/towel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information