Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Door Jambs?

How far do you guys go as far as detailing the inner jambs, meaning the hinges and that bad stuff in there? I know I can just get in there with a rag, but maybe you have some good tips and product recommendations to pass on. I certainly hope so at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ace,

Just before you start washing the car spray some diluted Simple Green into the door jam area, close the doors and let it sit a few minutes. Then with the doors still closed spray a jet of water along the door seams.

After washing and drying the car go over the jams with a paint cleaner/polish.

If they are real grimy use a stronger dilution of Simple Green.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Allright, that sounds like a plan, I needed advice here as well.

But how do you get those hingese and what not clean from grime that wont come off without agitation?

Also, how are you supposed to dress them? There is no way I can get into mine with any type of wax.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Simple Green Full strength inside of them wash away from the inside covering the carpet with something so it doesnt get wet then take a Q-Tip and dress the rubber parts with EF black Opal or 303 then I sometimes use S100 inside of them with a rag but if you cant get in there just a regular cleaning will do.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony

Your advice is always great to read. I do it a little different but I will try yours on my next job.

You should add a advice forum to your web site to answer questions as well. Your experence is something that all could benfit from.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Beemer,

Thank you very much for the kind words. I appreciate that very much. I am in fact re-doing my whole web site and it`s just about done and will replace the one up now in about 2 months. I will have a few new things on there.

For real greasy grimy door jams and water runoff areas around the trunk and engine areas I use my steam vapor cleaner. Spray some Simple Green in those areas, let it sit for awhile and hit it with hot steam and watch the grime melt away.

I have to have real clean door jams or else I freak out. My assistant would agree with me on this! I like fo rmy clients to have a nice clean door jam when they open the door, trunk or hood. To dress the area just spray a water based dressing in there, let it sit and then take Q-tips and sponge applicators to apply your favorite cleaner/polish.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony,

Your post just saved me years of bloody knuckles I tried your method and took a chapter of Charles` detailing book and used a paint brush (taped at the bottom) to get the areas that needed more attention. You guys are the best! Perfect example of what this web site is all about...Great ideas (should I say suggestions) and a positive approach to everything! Trial and error will get you to your final destination, but listening to the pro`s sure saves some time and $$.

Mahalo!!!

John

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

John,

Great news to hear! I am glad I could lend a hand and save yours:p

Sadly I learned from trial and error because when I started out there was no internet nor no place for a detailers think tank. You are correct in that this is a great forum to share and grow in knowledge.

Happy Detailing,
    Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    I also love clear door jamps espacially I hate when the rubber hoses inside are full of dirt or when people just spray a lubricant inside the door jamb and forget about whiping it off and then all the dirt sticks to it.

If anyone has any Before and After Door Jamb Pics post em.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    When I deliver the cars back the things that I point out to customers are the jambs doors, trunk, etc. I do this because most all the detail shops around me do not take as much time to clean these areas.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I like AIO for door jambs, trunk channels and the underside of the hood after the area`s been cleaned. Two layers of AIO looks good and lasts a long time. Those "out of the way" places are easier to clean and maintain after applying AIO too.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    How the heck do you manage to get in there and apply it though. I would bust my hands to heck if I tried to AIO or PwC the hinge areas.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a MF covered foam applicator to put it on, an old one used just for that, it gets in there good and then an old MF towel for removing. I also use the MF gloves from autogeek.net for getting into the tighter hinge area. I maintain them with a QD made up of two parts AIO to five parts water, the AIO is water soluble and makes a for a good, spray on cleaner as well as it`s shine factor.

Thread Information