Thread: spray wax

Post Thanks / Like

spray wax

I asked this question on the Door Jams thread, but "we" may be tired of the thread. Can I make a spray wax out of some old wax I have? Maybe just dilute with water until it sprays or is it more complicated than that?
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is more complicated than that. Let me give you an example....

I used to work at this soda shop kind of place. I ran the shake machine and my buddy ran the grill. On a boring day we decided to see what a hamburger shake would taste like. Let me tell you something, don`t ever try that. Nasty..... We discovered that what made a hamburger taste good was the proportions you ate. When you take a bite you get unequal portions of bread to meat to onions and so on. When you blend it up so that every "taste" is equaly saturated with stuff....well.. It tasted like camel vomit. Or, at least what camel vomit probably tastes like.

The point I`m trying to make is that there is probably more to a spray wax than just mixing a liquid wax with water. There are proportions of different things that need to be tweaked too. You can`t just mix a product that was designed to be applied directly to your car with water and expect to get a spray wax. There are ingredients in the car wax that may not be in your average liquid wax. Maybe these ingredients keep it from mixing with the water. If the wax has fillers (which most liquid carnaubas have) then you would be dealing with that too. My guess is that you would get a smearing nightmare if you tried it. The wax would saturate with water and not bond to the paint and probably look kind of terrible.

If you really want to try an awesome spray wax then I would suggest trying Four Star 4-90 Spray Wax Plus. I wan`t a big believer in spray waxes before I tried that stuff. It is amazing. For a dude who hates spray waxes, that is one product I hope I never run out of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carnuba Wont work. Because the contents will just float to the top and the water will separate from it. I would Get some good QD instead of spray wax or a QD that contains wax. There is still some good products like that I.E Meguiars Quick Wax or I cant remeber the name of this stuff it was an aerosol product I believe it was from valvoline or preston it wasnt eagle one though.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried it with Carnauba once. It separated and basically made quite a mess...

Onthespot

Post Thanks / Like
    Griots says you can make a wash n` wax by adding some of their liquid wax to their car wash. Never tried it myself and I don`t think I ever will. They also say you can make your own polish wax by mixing some polish with wax. (Duh!) If I want polish wax i`ll just buy some Klasse.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Griot`s is too damned expensive to be mixing and testing with.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    You never know what crazy ideas actually work around here! Just thought Iwould ask the experts. I had a product years ago that was pink and was called Liquid Luster (I think). It was mentioned in another thread about a week or so ago. I forget what was in it, but you could mix that stuff up into a spray wax. I never really used it that way, so Idon`t remember how it worked.

My next order from premium (and I just ordered some EX ) will include some spray wax.

Thanks all...
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want spray wax try Meguiars Spray Wax It is a new formular, also Rain X makes a good spray wax, Eagle One Wax as you Dry is good Protect All is also a good one. These all have more wax in them than a quick detailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tassadar - outside of Griots charging $199 for the $150 PC, I really don`t think Griots is expensive. They get $7.99 or maybe $8.99 for 16 oz of car wash, $20 for 16 oz of wax, about $10 for an orange polishing pad (which works very well, BTW). I`m not advertising for them, but I have purchased and used their products and have found everything they sell to perform as advertised and reasonably priced compared to competitive enthusiast products. As far as the PC goes, I think Megs sells their version for $225, as does Autosport. At least Griots gives you the version with the 6" velcro backing pad and a case.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ace i was in my local Home Depot the other day and they had the 7424 for $109 ...with the extra money you could buy a case and a backing pad with lots of pads...just a thought
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Where can you get a case for the PC 7424?I didn`t see one listed on the PC website.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like I said - the PC at Griots is overpriced. The case comes with the PC with the vacuum parts, which you just throw away. The cheapest i`ve seen the 97336 is $150.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can get the 6" backing plate from Proper, and they even sell a PC with the 6" allready on it.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have a mullet, but I agree with the Fuzz regarding 4 Stars 4-90 Spray Wax. It`s a good product for the price. I`ve been using it on my car as a QD for the last 2 weeks and it looks nice over the EX I applied at the beginning of the month.
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Poorboys QD+ over the EX. It has carnuba in it.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Thread Information