Thread: New discussion

Post Thanks / Like

New discussion

I would like to hear some discussion from business owners on a few topics seldom talked about here. We have plently of product/application discussions going on, here are some issues I`d like to see discussed. 1. personal issues, anyone that has employees working for them. (problems? payroll? wages?)
    2. Growing your business, are you content with the amount of cars you are doing, if not, ideas you have to increase bunsiness.
    3. The road to retirement> what you are doing when the time comes you cannot physically do this kind of work.
    turbomangt
    www.perfectautofinish.com

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting topic...

Good employees are hard to find and keep..most will absorb the knowledge and then quit to compete with you. I have found in the past that a good friend or relative that has a similar interest in the business will work out best.
    Hired a kid a while back to help and it ended up being twice the work ..had to watch him and also do my work and ended up going over what the kid did.
    Also hired a kid recently..didn`t speak much English and he put the wrong labels on the wrong bottles...

Now if you were running a volume shop and quantity was more important than quality ...it would be easier and supplying the right tools and products would eliminate a lot of problems

As far a retirement...like you I looked into various other aspects of the detailing business and found I had a large following from selling my detailing customers products for maintenence and it expanded as each and every year went by..when i came out with my own product line...I already had quite a few customers...
    Your idea of teaching our skills to the novice or everyday person, is a great one and I`m sure will be copied, since I know it will be sucessful.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought od doing a detailing school to teach people the proper ways of cleaning and maintaing their cars, it was just a thought.

I`m a one man band shop at the moment, hoping to take this to a full time level next year
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New discussion

Originally posted by turbomangt

3. The road to retirement> what you are doing when the time comes you cannot physically do this kind of work.
    I`d actually like to start formulating some products based on what works in the field for us. Waxes, glazes, dressings etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had up to 7 employees at one time but it was for butcher type fleet work. I have only had one or two at a time for regular detailing of nice vehicles. I found that employees are great and are your worst nightmare at the same time.

I have my first kid on the way and now is the time for me to "go big". I will start out with one employee and build from there. Of course my marketing and sales will have to grow right along.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried for awhile having a friend help me do my cars, had the same problem as Poorboy. I had to redo half of his work because it was half-ass.

As for marketting, I have no budget, im a poor 17 year old who cant find a real job here
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn`t matter if your 17 or 70, if you have a passion for this business you can be successful. Beemerboy, why haven`t you made a move on your idea of teaching,? you can make more $$$ and I can show you how to get started. Did you know that Libraries are funded by local Government? and tax dollars are used to sponsor programs at public libraries. I get paid up to $300 now for an hour and a half class, not bad eh? Biff how about you? you want to sell products? get going. Buy a case of stuff from Dwayne and get out there. Most of us are detailing ourselves right? so you will only do able to reach a certain market share. by selling products you can expand that market, plus you will gain a reputation and eventually get a detail, I can prove that. Check out my web site and e mail me for more answers. I learned much from this board, now that I have tried some things and they are working, I want to give back so others can rep the rewards, Happy detailing, I LOVE THIS STUFF www.perfectautofinish.com
    turbomangt
    www.perfectautofinish.com

Post Thanks / Like
    turbo- your post are so motaivating !!!! If your not a millionare now you should be one soon.! I love your post.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Thread Information