Practice makes "PERFECT" clean4u's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Water Damage Flood Related

My wifes son car got flooded a lot of water damage i mean a lot dont have any pics yet but pretty sure the insurance company might total it out but if not as there some chance it could be salvage?:dunno
    "A Clean Ride is a Happy Ride" To some its just a Ride!!!! So True!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok water damage to carpet nothing else maybe a suck all the water out with a wet and dry vac and then a good shampoo???? any suggestions

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would replace the carpet and padding..it`s not that expensive and would look and smell a lot better...
    also make sure the computer was not affected...that would be an expensive replacemnet without insurance...some cars have them located under the seats or by your feet in the front:dunno
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    OK ill keep that in mind, Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try to clean the carpet and padding before I replaced it. It can be taken out so that you can really get at it and give it a good cleaning. This should be the least of your worries. The seats will probably be damaged the most.

I`ve seen many vehicles pulled out of lakes and rivers that cleaned up just fine. (The electronics are another matter tho.)

It`s definitely worth a shot tho.

Oh - speaking of electronics - I saw a desktop computer that had fallen in a lake - it worked fine after it was all dried out!! - go figure! LOL
    Cliff Claven is my hero
    2007 Silver Accord EX
    1999 Silver F-150 XLT

Post Thanks / Like
    Replace all of the carpet or at least pull it all out and make sure that all fo the moisture is gone. Not only will it stink if you don`t but the moisture will cause damage to your electrical system.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Basically in the past I have found not the carpet to be the problem, but the padding and insulation that absorbs the water and will start to smell and sometimes rust the floor boards, especially around weld points...it`s easier to take the seats out, examine and clean them , replace the padding and carpet(at the insurance companies expense ) and start with a nice new carpet
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve is right. I took all of my insulation out when my hatch was leaking from a leak. The stuff is like a sponge and just holds the water and all of the vacuuming to the carpet does not get the insulation dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still think that it is worth a shot to take everything out, put it in the sun and dry it well, clean it and put it back. Carpet is really expensive. If drying and cleaning doesn`t do the job, you are back where you started without spending any money. Once you have everything out, you can clean and dry and touch up anything on the inside (metal and stuff) that needs it.

What the heck - it`s gotta be worth a shot. The price is right.

I never throw anything away.
    Cliff Claven is my hero
    2007 Silver Accord EX
    1999 Silver F-150 XLT

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a preferred provider for several insurance companies here in Colorado for flood restoration. If its the carpet only and not the seats, the way to do it right is to replace the padding under the carpet. The carpet itself should clean up nice. The padding, however, has a waterproof lining on it so that carpet shampooing and extracting can be routinely done without having the padding absorb water. Once the padding is wet, no amount of extracting can get the water through the waterproof layer on top of the padding. Here is the right way to fix, not very expensive, just alot of labor.

Remove front and back seats, middle console, entry rocker panels, anything that lies above the carpet. Pull out carpet and extract the hell out of it. Remove old padding, it is usually glued but comes off easy. Padding is usually put down in sections. Save and mark what section went where. Dry and clean the metal floor, you will notice puddles in low spots on the floor after you pull the padding. You`ll need to do this several times as the puddles will come over and over as water settles out of the crevices. Get new padding, I use 3m, cost should be no more than $60. Using the old padding as templates, cut out and put back in vehicle using a foaming spray on adhesive. Replace carpet and put vehicle back together. If seats are involved in the flood damage, there is no way to clean them so they won`t stink. Insurance co`s require I replace them with new or salvaged parts.

This is not hard to do. I`ve done it a dozen or so times. It`s just labor.

For all of you pro`s, I recommend getting involved with insurance co`s. I charge about $1000 for this and it is only 8 - 10 hours work. Body shops charge even more. Insurance company adjustors are commisioned on how much they save over what a job should cost. If you are the cheapest vendor, they`ll go with you everytime!
    I`ve been busy but I`ll try to make some time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hah.

Told you so
    Cliff Claven is my hero
    2007 Silver Accord EX
    1999 Silver F-150 XLT

Thread Information