Post Thanks / Like

Returning the favor

Hey guys-

Right now I have access to a wealth of information on Occupational Medicine and Toxicology. Since you guys have been so helpful to me, I`d like to return the favor.

If anyone has concerns or questions about the products they expose themselves to daily or the environment they work in, email me or post your questions here (then everyone can benefit). Please include the names of all the ingredients or a link to them if you can. A link to the information online is okay. MSDS`s are helpful sometimes, but more often than not they fail to list the components. I have resources available to me so if you don`t have anything, I can still try. I posted some info on carpal tunnel syndrome a while back, I can relate info on other occupational injuries as well.

-Rob
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks it`s very much appreciated....
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much Rob!

I do a have question regarding CTS. Once the CTS seems to flare up, I can hardly hang onto the milk jug in the morning. After an hour, the grip strength is back but still hurts and feels tight. Any suggestions on how to avoid this morning pain/weakness?

Thanks
    Tim

Boss_429
    That`s great that you`re willing to offer that help. Hope you can give 2hotford some good info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure!

CTS is tough to treat once it has flared up, so prevention is the key here.

What is going on is that you aggrevate your condition during the day by buffing a car, TYPING ON A COMPUTER, or any other activity that requires repetitive motion of the wrist joint (okay guys, don`t go there....). This is often without symptoms! However many people will get symptoms here as their disease progresses in severity. The inflammation process starts and by the next morning it has had ample time to swell up and cut off nerve conduction to your median nerve causing you to lose your grip strength.

What to do:

Before you go to bed you want to halt the inflammatory process:

1. Wear wrist brace(s) when you work or do whatever it is that causes your CTS to flare up. Any brace that stops/reduces wrist flexion and extension should do nicely, but they do make CTS braces.

2. Rest your wrists. If you don`t have to do it, dont! Delegate, that`s why you had kids....right? (J/K)

3. You can ice your wrist(s). This is best done after you do something that could aggrevate your CTS. This is better for people with longstanding CTS as they learn the hard way what activity will aggrevate their condition.

4. Take a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID for short). Examples are: Ibuprofen (motrin, advil) or naproxen (aleve). Tylenol acts only in the brain so it provides very poor peripheral (wrist) anti-inflammatory action. You must also remember that these meds are hard on the stomach and have been associated with peptic ulcer disease! Another problem with this is that most NSAIDS (ibuprofen for example) usually wear off before morning. Naproxen lasts the longest, but is probably the hardest on your gut. Solution? See your doctor about long acting COX-2 specific NSAIDS. Examples are Vioxx, Celebrex, Bextra, and Mobic. They aren`t perfect solutions (nothing ever is, right?) but they last about 24hrs and are supposed to have fewer ulcer and bleeding problems. Oh and I don`t condone taking someone elses Rx meds. It`s illegal!

DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN FOR THIS PROBLEM. The anti inflammatory dose of aspirin is very high and your are very likely to develop toxicity over time at that dose! Lower doses do essentially nothing to help with CTS.

If you are taking aspirin daily for heart reasons talk to your doctor before trying to treat your CTS with OTC drugs.

Oh Gawd, I think my CTS is flaring up! I`ll go for now but let me know if I answered your question or even helped.
    -Rob
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much Rob! You have answered my question and then some!

I guess 2hotford will have to go into computer retirement for a couple of weeks!

Thanks again Rob! May I PM you if I have further questions?(then I will go into computer/detailing forum retirement)

Cheers!
    Tim

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Kudos to you for great offer!

I may just take you up on that soon.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Thread Information