Post Thanks / Like

Not satisfied with result...

Finally had a chance to wash the car last night. Pulled it into the garage afterwards and had some dinner. After dinner, I decided to play with some of the Poorboy`s products I had gotten a couple of months ago. Experimenting with the hood (red car, minor scratches, clearcoat pits and what appears to be some water etching), I used my 7424 with a white polishing pad and some Pro Polish. Spread with speed 2, then worked it in on speed 5. I am thinking I may not have worked it in enough (slight haze). Should I basically do it until the PP disappears? While the hood looks better, it still has some scratches and water etches. What should be my next step:

1. SSR1 with white polishing pad, speed 5
    2. PP with yellow cutting pad, speed 5
    3. SSR1 with yellow cutting pad, speed 5

I know there isn`t too much I can do about the clearcoat pits, and they aren`t noticeable until you are right up on the car, so I am not trying to remove them. What should be done after one of the 3 steps above? I also have PwC and Ex to play with once I get the paint looking good and scratch-free. I don`t really have any other products at the moment that I think would make a good topper (bottles of Liquid Glass, Meg`s Gold Class Wax, and Mother`s Cleaner Wax are laying around). Thanks for the advice and sorry about the length of the post.

-Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    You might need to use a rotary to get the results your looking for, on heaver scratches with PP you need to get heat. With your PC use a cutting pad with the PP and SSR. I always work the product until it disapears for the most part, wipe off and if its not quite all gone I go over it again!
    Then a polishing pad with the P-w-C that should do it, then top with the EX.
    I`ve not found one car that PB has not taken the swril marks out
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah - PP is a product that works differently depending on the applicator - with the polishing pad and PP your going to get cleaning and not much corrective - With PP a little goes a loooong way - I find it is best to wet the pad with a lil QD (I use PB`s Spray and Wipe). the apply a line of PP about an inch long to do a 3`x2` section.

I would try ssr1 with the yellow cutting pad @ 5 to see if you can get out the scrathces and what not the clearcoat pits will probably not come out unless you go to a rotary (like beemer said )
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies guys!! I don`t think the pits will come out, so I am less concerned with them (I don`t even think wet-sanding would get them out without pretty much getting rid of all of my clearcoat). I am trying to get the scratches out and some of teh water etching. If I get the chance tonight, I will try the SSR1 with the yellow cutting pad and see what happens. I am guessing I should really work it in until it has almost completely disappeared. I`ll keep ya posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would of used SSR2 with white pad at speed 6, then SSR1 same pad same speed, then polish with carnuba same, and topped with EX.

And if you are gettign ahzing you are not workign it long enough.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rockford33
    Thanks for the replies guys!! I don`t think the pits will come out, so I am less concerned with them (I don`t even think wet-sanding would get them out without pretty much getting rid of all of my clearcoat). I am trying to get the scratches out and some of teh water etching. If I get the chance tonight, I will try the SSR1 with the yellow cutting pad and see what happens. I am guessing I should really work it in until it has almost completely disappeared. I`ll keep ya posted.
    Just like the pits, the water etching can get very far into the clear and not come out completely even with a rotary
    The above suggestions of changing to a more aggressive pad with the PP is you best chance...SSR1 will not dig deep enough to get to the problems you`ve explained, but will be great after the PP steps to bring out gloss...
    Keep us posted and it sound s like you might just need a stronger product like SSR2 or 2.5...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    If I can`t get the water etching out, I am not going to be extremely concerned about it. It isn`t extremely visible except under certain light/angles. Per Poorboy`s suggestion, I will do PP with cutting pad first. Hopefully that will get things looking the way I want. Assuming it does, follow up with SSR1 (cutting or polishing pad?), then PwC with polishing pad, followed by EX (by hand, probably a couple of layers). Sound good? On a side note, I am prepping the car for the All Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle, PA in mid-July (attached is photo from last year). Given that the car isn`t driven much (summer car, garaged the rest of year or during rain), will I need to do this prep again before the show? The car is in really good condition overall (except the early 90`s Chrysler paint, which isn`t horrible but not the best). Thanks a bunch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    SSR1 on a polishing pad....

no I don`t think you need to do that much work ever again under those conditions....

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a chance to play for a few mintues (very few!!) with the PP and a yellow cutting pad. The hood definitely looks better, but still has some scratches in it. One thing I think that I am doing wrong is that I am putting too much product on the pad. When I first put the PP on the pad, it just seems to soak into it. Doesn`t look like much gets onto the car when I try to spread it around (PC on speed 2), so I added some more product ot the pad. It took a long time to work the product (5 minutes or so), and it was still a little hazy by the time I decided to wipe it off (and the haze was a little hard to take off with a mf). I might try getting some SSR2 or 2.5. Also, should I wet the pad with a little QD like groebuck suggested (I have Mother`s and Black Magic QD`s)? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest 1) using less product as you already figured and 2) use a spritz of water on the pad...using a QD that has silicone or wax will not let the product work correctly

Post Thanks / Like
    Poorboy, you should be in bed resting, not checking email J/k. Seriously, thank you for the reply. It is always nice to see the creator of a wonderful product take the time to answer questions, especially considering that you just had surgery. I think I am also going to order some SSR2 to have on hand for some of the deeper scratches. Get well soon!!

Thread Information