Post Thanks / Like

Using water sptriz with 3M`s compound and polishes or not ?

Hi all, my local 3M distributor, told me that a lot of people spritz their pad prior to buffing, saying it helps them polish better. He then told me that 3m insist notto use any water with their products, he said that with other brands it might be fine but not with 3M............the thing is on the bottle of the 5937 it says to use a quater size amount for a 2x2 area. But if i put a quarter size amount on the hood or any area for that matter, with a dry pad(not spritzed with water), the pad actually sucks it in and no or close to no plish is left to polish to use on the surface. Ive tried doin the same but prior to it, i soaked the pad in water, wrung it out, and did the same........this time since the pad was still wet, it didnt absorb all of the polish..................so this leads me to think that, either the guy from 3M does a smaller area with a quarter size drop, or he buffs dry.....................have any of you found the same, or is it just me ?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I called 3M and he said that spraying water on the pad is fine and it will not effect the results. So I have done that and it helps a ton and I am getting great swirl free results.
    Elite Mobile Detailing - Formally SacMotorsports
    www.elitedetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    02Silverado, wow, that is just the answer i wanted to hear, clear concise and to the point lol.......thanks a bunch 02Silverado

:beer

P.S. how much compound do you use for a 2x2 area ?

Post Thanks / Like
    OH man I have no idea, lol. I did about a skinny ring around the pad (perfect it III pad) about 3/4 of the way out. Hope that helps
    www.elitedetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some pics with spraying water on the pad with the Machine glaze. I detailed it on Sunday.

http://www.sacmotorsports.com/2000%2...20Cruiser.html
    www.elitedetails.com

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve always used qd in the past. Water is cheaper so i may just have to try that.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Koop
    I`ve always used qd in the past. Water is cheaper so i may just have to try that.
    I have used Mothers Showtime, the one that comes with the clay kit and it worked good to. I used it cause I wanted to get rid of it some how.
    www.elitedetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wink 02Silverado

were you able to remove ALL of them swirl with the machine glaze ? As to me, im having a hard time removing ALL of them.........some are left on the hood, not that much but still they re there + some on the roof..........they re less noticeable but you know :-p What speed did you use with the MG and i guess you used the polishing pad, right ? How often do you clean the pad ? how much water do you spray on it ?

Gee, i wonder what im doing wrong, i used 1000-1100 rpm although 3M says to use 1800, and keep the pad real flat and moved not so fast not so slow. After a while i decided to up the speed a bit, to round 1500, and i think it helped me, as less swirls were there afterwards.

Please, i need your help, as the result on you truck looks awesome, so you must be doing it right lol.....maybe im just too much of a perfectionist, as i wantto remove ALL of them swirls. What s more, you re using the same product i do, so im sure you can help me out......take care :beer

Oh and congrats on your vehicle, as you deserve it !

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    You probably have deep enough swirls to warrent a harsher product. I would move to a light cut. 3M`s PI III compounds are great and work well with the MG. Only thing is you`ll need to go over it once again with the MG when you`re done with that.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like

Koop

Well, in fact, problem aras for me are each of the four corner of the roof, and both left and right sides of hood, but as i told above, by increasing the speed on the polisher, i was able to remove them more easily..............how fast do you spin with the MG ?

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly don`t pay attn. I use it to how it feels right. my guess would be between 1400 and 2k. If you are determined to get it out with MG just keep going. I wouldn`t go much faster than 2k though. Eventualy you could get all the way through the clear with pro polish on a rotory. It would just take a loooooooong time. I`m sure you can get those swirls out with MG. It also will just take quite a while. It`ll just keeep on slowly eating away at the clear.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, wetting the pad with water makes the pad a little bit more aggressive, which may be needed in some cases.

Thread Information