Thread: Need Some Help

Post Thanks / Like

Need Some Help

Ok I tried to do total swirl removal from my Jeep`s Hood today. The steps are below after all of the steps I went over with a LED flash light to see if there was anuthing left some spots nothing but then some I had the really small kind of swirls I couldent really tell if they where swirls but some spots you could Definetly tell.

Here are the step I used

Makita Rotary with:
    CMA Yellow Cutting Pad - DACP 1 Pass
    CMA White Polishing Pad - DACP 1 Pass
    Meguiars Soft Buff W9000 Finishing Pad - Swirl Free Polish 1 Pass.

I found after the Cutting pad I have alot of the pad swirls I tried without the cuting pad first time around and didnt get any swirls off even after 2 passes. I didnt let the Swirl Free Polish Buff all the way off till dry as I was told its better to leave it some what wet then whipe. The question is do I need a more agressive compounds am I doing something wrong. ??
    www.exotiXboard.com

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW...DACP is a fairly stout product especially when used with rotary AND foam cutting pad. I`ve neer used the CMA yellow cutting pad so I don`t really know just how much bite it has. I know the Edge yellow medium cut pads do have a fair amount of bite to them.....significantly more than the maroon MEg`s foam cutting pad. Even the light green Edge "light cut" pad has more bite than the maroon Meg`s pad. No surprise that the DACP and CMA cutting pad left some buffer marks.

What are our choices as far as products/pads you have available? SSR2, Meg`s Light Cut Cleaner or Medium Cut Cleaner , Speed Glaze, PI-III Machine Glaze? Tell us what you have to work with.

Also....while I like Swirl Free with the PC I don`t really care for it with a rotary. It flashes up too quickly and doesn`t allow much buffing time.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Boss_429
    Originally posted by NattyBumppo
    Also....while I like Swirl Free with the PC I don`t really care for it with a rotary. It flashes up too quickly and doesn`t allow much buffing time.

Natty
    I would agree, as the SFP probably never had enough work time to knock down the buffer swirls left by the DACP. Even though Meguiar`s recommends SFP with a rotary, you really have to be careful with pad selection, and rotary speed. This is the main reason I like #9 over SFP, as it has more open work time.............. at least in my experience.

Having said that, I would also say that #9, and SFP, will only do so much to remove/hide swirls. Idealy, I would want to work the swirls out as much as possible with the DACP using progressively less aggressive pads to the point that the SMR`s only need to do a little "touch up"! If it takes multiple passes with the DACP, then so be it.

In the end, there`s no assurance that "all" swirls can be removed/hidden............. especially in the correct lighting conditions.

Keep in mind, that this is just my opinion!

Post Thanks / Like
    A good lesson in this - when you`re trying out an agressive product for the first time, make sure to practice on some older car first. I like to use my neighbor`s Taurus personally. Nice old lady and she thinks the car looks great. (it does, BTW).

Boss_429
    Originally posted by ACE
    A good lesson in this - when you`re trying out an agressive product for the first time, make sure to practice on some older car first. I like to use my neighbor`s Taurus personally. Nice old lady and she thinks the car looks great. (it does, BTW).
    Or the wife`s car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ic I may be just to much of a perfectionist. I have DACP and SFP polish currently and the 3 pads I said. 2hotford has good luck with his rotary and the W9000 Meg`s Finishing Pad after DACP. The CMA yellow cutting well JGV said its pretty agressive and try to use the white pad I did but it didnt remove any swirls then. SFP does dry to fast and I see I have to use more of it im thinking of gettin some 3M PI-III RC or Poorboys SSR3 and then just going DACP and then SFP. I have the majority of the bigger swirls and stuff gone but its just the really small buffer marks and the other crap that really does is. Any more comments are greatly appreciated.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Fr0zen
    Ic I may be just to much of a perfectionist. I have DACP and SFP polish currently and the 3 pads I said. 2hotford has good luck with his rotary and the W9000 Meg`s Finishing Pad after DACP. The CMA yellow cutting well JGV said its pretty agressive and try to use the white pad I did but it didnt remove any swirls then. SFP does dry to fast and I see I have to use more of it im thinking of gettin some 3M PI-III RC or Poorboys SSR3 and then just going DACP and then SFP. I have the majority of the bigger swirls and stuff gone but its just the really small buffer marks and the other crap that really does is. Any more comments are greatly appreciated.
    Not everyone has the rotary experience and Meguiar`s product knowledge that 2hotford has.

Also....I strongly suggest you NOT go right to SSR3 with that CMA cutting pad or you`ll have to start the whole shabang all over again. SSR3 is a HEAVY DUTY COMPOUND and if you don`t work it correctly with the rotary you will have more trouble than you could wish for!

And I agree with ACE and Boss....especially the wife`s car comment .

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you show us some pictures of what you are talking about?

From what you are saying, I don`t think I would continue with the cutting pad and compound route. The CMA pads are made by Lake Country -- excellent pads. The yellow pad has some real cutting bite to it, so you got to be careful.

Also what speeds are you running the buffer at?

Matt

Thread Information