Post Thanks / Like

Post Where do I start?

Hi, I just found this forum and it seems to me that there are quite a few experts here. I need some help. I just bought a 2003 Saturn ION2 black. The car looks great and I love how nice the black paint looks. Now someone please tell me what to do now to keep it looking good. I have very little knowledge about auto detailing so please spell out everything if possible. I would also appreciate information on where to purchase products recommended. Thanks for the help.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there,

Glad to see you here at DC.

Congratulations on your new ride...

First thing, you need to call Dwayne at 4 Star and talk to him.
    He will set you up with what you need to do the job right.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ

Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!

As a fellow black car owner, I can tell you that you need to take special care as to what you use to clean, polish and protect it with. You will want to buy some quality car wash, such as Platinum`s, Meguiars or P21S`s. Also, invest in some quality microfiber towels and applicators, available from premiumautocare.com (this board`s sponsor).

I would suggest claying the surface with Clay Magic or similar clay product. It`s simple to use, and quite beneficial, even for a new car. You`d be surprised how much crap is hiding in your `new` paint....

You can`t go wrong with some Klasse All in One cleaner/sealant, then topping it off with a couple coats of Platinum`s Ultimate Paint Protection. All of these products are available from Dwayne at Premium Auto, this boards` sponsor. Click on the "online store" link at the top of the page. Great products, great service and above all, a great guy to deal with.

Whatever you do, take your time, read alot of the older posts, and follow the product directions and you should do just fine.

Good luck!
    Brian
    "The 83-88 Monte SS - they just don`t make `em like that anymore...."

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the world of black cars. I have a black BMW you can see a pic on my thread SONOMA COUNTY, its 3 years old and has little to no swril marks.

Anywho a few things that will help you, keep that new car look.

Washing use a lambs wool mit and get a decent car wash soap. Costco has one that I use. Drying the car I like terry cloth but you can also use micro fiber towels.
    The trick to keeping the paint from getting marred is, get qa good polish, swril remover and wax. 3M makes great products and you might want to check the supplier that supports this web site.

You want to wash and dry, to get the water out of the cracks use a leaf blower. Polish the car, apply the swril remover take off and then final is wax.
    As I said I have done a lot of dark coloerd cars and this is what I do and they all look great.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Oh and one last thing and this ones a biggie. Buy a dust wand I have one in the trunk on both cars and one hanging in the shop. Its a must for darker colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    My advice if you don`t have a lot of detailing supplies yet is to check out the Platinum Intro Kit, add a clay bar, add the Gloss Enhancing Detailer, chenille wash mitt, stoners invisible glass, and some tire dressing (Meg`s Endurance is easy to find). You will have everything you need to make the exterior of your car look awesome for quite some time. The intro kit also includes applicators and some nice MFs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Thomasfl
    My advice if you don`t have a lot of detailing supplies yet is to check out the Platinum Intro Kit, add a clay bar, add the Gloss Enhancing Detailer, chenille wash mitt, stoners invisible glass, and some tire dressing (Meg`s Endurance is easy to find). You will have everything you need to make the exterior of your car look awesome for quite some time. The intro kit also includes applicators and some nice MFs.
    I`m with you on the choices!
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup.
    I ageee.

Best to start off simple and work up to the more complex operations on your vehicle.

A simple wash, dry and wax with correct tire and wheel detailing will give you excellent results without biting off more than you can chew.

Stoners Invisible will take care of the windows.

Once you`ve built up some confidence, move onto compounding and claying.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Thomasfl
    Ditto!

Nice car, er..truck...er crossover.....er...vehicle! Best of luck with it and welcome to DC!

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Thread Information