Post Thanks / Like

Motorcycle washing questions

I have washed a couple motorcycles before, but I was not sure and cleaned the entire bike using S100 TCC per the advice of the motorcycle shop. I think S100 TCC is a little too harsh for a weekly wash and want advice as I am going to be wash a few a bikes each week. How do I perform a weekly wash? What steps should be included?

A. Wash painted parts with car wash and mitt? Pre-treat underside with tar remover? Clean engine and underside with S100 Total Cycle Cleaner and use scrub brush if necessary? Dry using WWMF and running the bike to work water out of nooks and crannies? Clean Rims with wheel cleaner? Clean tires? Condition leather? Clean and protect chrome? Apply a coat of wax or sealant? Use Plexus or plastic cleaner on plastic parts?

B. Wash painted parts with car wash and mitt? Pre-treat underside with tar remover? Wash Engine, Underside and rims with car wash and wash brush? Dry using WWMF and running the bike to work water out of nooks and crannies? Clean tires? Condition leather? Clean and protect chrome? Apply a coat of wax or sealant? Use Plexus or plastic cleaner on plastic parts? Protect rubber hose and seals?

Do I need to oil, grease or wax the chain?
    Should I cover anything, to protect form water? IE: Gauges, Switchgear, reservoirs, battery, or gauges and switches on the tank?

Do I need to cover gauges? How do I wash the tank around Tank gauges and switches?
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think that the TCC is too harsh. Scottwax once told me he uses it on each bike. However, it probably strips wax a bit, so if you want to preserve that for a regular customer, I would keep it off the paintwork (I am mostly talking about sportbikes now). For cruisers, usually, there is so little paint, I don`t think it matters. You`re going to be using a lot elbow grease on all that chrome.

As for areas to cover up, I don`t have any experience with Harley`s, but the Japanese and European bikes have excellent seals on their switch gear and gauges, and I have not covered those up. Having said that though, I also don`t directly hose down those areas with high pressure. I think keeping it sensible should be good enough. The only areas I have covered up, depending on the bike, is the end of a really high swept canister in the back of sportbikes, and ram air intakes, and even those have water drains.

For chains, unless you are also going to do degreasing, I would stay away from it, as it`s pretty much the same as engine cleaning. Might be a bit of a mechanical concern for the customer. I know I wouldn`t want someone else touching my chain. If it is requested, then I would get at it with a rag and WD40, and then relube with PJ1 or a quality chain wax, depending on what the customer prefers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for info 2wheelsx2. The bikes are a standard Japanese (GS500E), a naked, which is now faired and modded (SV650) and the other is a new Metric Cruiser (v-Star). Maybe I will do the other bike an older Honda Shadow magna (I think it is) if I am feeling generous.

I think I will clean the painted area with car wash with and no nozzle on the hose. The engine, wheels and underside with S100.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Thread Information