Post Thanks / Like

Question 5 Star Shine Questions

Has anyone used "5 Star Shine" on a new car?
    I just purchased a new Honda CR-V and want to keep it looking like new for the next 20 years (don`t laugh - I still have my `85 Civic Wagon - & it still looks good!).
    I did not get the "paint protection" package @ the dealer, but want to know the best way to go for protection from the AZ sun. Any guidance would be appreciated - Thank You!:wait

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the new CR-V! What color is it?

What do you do to keep the Civic looking good? 18-19 years old - whatever you`re doing must be working!

With regards to 5 Star Shine - I recall posting a question about it about a 6 weeks or so ago but apparently the thread was sacrificed to the upgrade gods. If memory serves a couple of people here had used it and didn`t think it was anything all that special.

As far as minimal maintenance and good looking products, you`ll get lots of opinions here. As for longevity claims - I doubt many of the posters here go a month without polishing or waxing.

Some board favorites for long lasting protections seem to be 4-Star Ultimate Paint Protection (UPP), Poorboys EX and Ex-P, Klasse All In One (AIO) and Sealant Glaze (SG), and most will agree that Zaino merits mention as well even though I can`t really say that`s a board favorite. Two new products that have not been around that long but look promising Are Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant.

I have used the Klasse products and Wolfgang. I found the Klasse AIO a breeze and SG to be a pain to apply and remove. Only had them on the car a few weeks so no idea about lasting protection.

Wolfgang is my current favorite! Two thumbs up. :mohawk Looks great and could not possibly be easier to use. Again it`s a new product so longevity is unknown.
    :welcome
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive never used 5 Star, im sure its an adequate product. One things is for sure, make sure you prepare your surface appropriately. Maintain frequently, youll be in good shape....A lot of people say its all about process, well, my thoughts are, you cant have a great process without proper products, so choose your products wisely.......what doesnt work for one job, may be your best friend on another.......
    When it`s you car, every detail matters...........

Post Thanks / Like
    My new CR-V is Mohave Mist (a deep beige) and it is SOOOO pretty (but with an attitude!).
    My `85 Civic Wagon is "Champagne Beige", and I really didn`t do anything special to maintain it other than monthly washing & waxing @ 2/year. I think Honda`s just have a very good finish. My sister had a RED `85 Civic SI `til last summer when she traded it in on an `03 Civic LX - minimal fading in spite of exposure to AZ sun.
    So yes, we are a Honda family!! I started it in 1974 with a `75 Civic which I kept for 10 years `til the wagon. Now the wagon is going to my 17 year old son after he gets legal.
    Also looking for tips on maintaining the "saddle" velour seats (Scotchguard or ?), and the "black trim" on the outside of the car, and the vinyl (dash, etc.) inside. I`ve been told that "ArmorAll" is bad for both.
    Don`t it always seem to go, you don`t know what you`ve got til it`s gone?
    WAC
    06/04/40 ~ 07/16/07

Western PA where Spring is beautiful...both days.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Norah,
    In AZ you definitely want your trim (interior and exterior) to be UV protected. I`m currently using 303 Aerospace Protectant that is supposedly loaded with UV protectants. General guidance seems to be about once/month application although in Tempe you may need to up that a bit. I also really like the satin finish it leaves on my trim where Armor All tends to be shiny...the original at least. We `04 CRV owners have a lot of acreage to cover on plastic trim and a microfiber (MF) towel dampened with the 303 can cover about 1/2 of the CRV. After covering all, I go back around with a clean MF and buff off the excess.
    I`ve also been reading good things about Poorboys Trim Restorer and Natural Look and will probably try that route next since the other Poorboys products I`ve used have been ridiculously easy to use and are reasonably priced.
    Congrats on the survival of the Civic. Great cars. You must be hating the CRV`s gas mileage though. :dunno
    Don`t cry honey. I wasn`t polishing the car again. I swear! :naughty

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a thread on another board about a 5 Star Shine application.
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dalmore, I found his review valuable, and I`m not going to go with 5 Star Shine - I was afraid it was "too good to be true", and now I think I was right to wait. Guess I`ll have to go with the old fashioned way.
    BTW - any feedback on "dealer" applied "protective finish" - I`ll find out today what the "deal" is, but am thinking of doing it `cuz waxing the roof of the V will be hard for me - I`m only 5`3" with really short arms! Also thinking of Scotchguard protection for upholstery - we spend a lot of time in shorts here in AZ, and I`m told that the SG offers a 5 year warranty. Taking the V into the dealer today for it`s "extras", will find out more then about their "offerings". Thanks again for your help!
    WAC
    06/04/40 ~ 07/16/07

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by norahcrv
    Taking the V into the dealer today for it`s "extras", will find out more then about their "offerings". Thanks again for your help!
    Keep in mind that those extras are very very high profit items for the dealer.
    You can probably find a professional detailer in your area that will do a better job, (than most dealerships), and do it for about 1/2 the cost.
    Obviously, doing it yourself is the most economical, but if you are not comfortable doing it, a professional would be a good alternative.
    The Pro might even give you some tips on how to keep your car up on your own.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I did talk to the dealer today, and they started @ $400 for the complete package - exterior & interior w/5 year warranty, and I got him down to $275. I haven`t signed on the line yet, but how would I go about finding a REPUTABLE detailer here in Tempe. Anybody out there want to give me a bid or some info/references?
    WAC
    06/04/40 ~ 07/16/07

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    My general nature kind of rebels at the thought of doing business with someone that tried to charge me almost 45% more for a service they were selling me.
    Finding a local is not too easy. You almost have to go look at some of their work before you choose.
    While that is a nuisance and time consuming, it is still your second best choice.
    First choice being to learn to do it yourself. It isn`t that difficult and it is a very enjoyable hobby. Try it, you might like it.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, CharlesW, Dalmore & HiSurfTension - YOU WIN!

It took me a month of lurking & reading to make up my mind, and act on it, but today I placed an order w/Steve @ Poorboys for everything I should need for the next year (at least, I hope so!) It cost me almost as much as I had talked the dealer down to on the "protection package", but at least I`ll have the products in my own garage to be used at my convenience. And the results will be from my own sweat & broken fingernails!

I`m really looking forward to learning more about maintaining my finish properly & being able to share the experience with my son!

So if any of you have any words of wisdom from your experiences, please keep them coming my way!

COOL thoughts would also be appreciated, too, as we are already over 100 degrees, and I haven`t even started on this project! And no, the garage does not have A/C - it gets up over 95 even with fans running! Early morning isn`t a great option either, because the garage faces east! I know - poor planning, but I had no idea 15 years ago when we bought the house, that I was going to become a "closet" detailer! Thinking about it, there`s a lot I didn`t know about myself 15 years ago!
    WAC
    06/04/40 ~ 07/16/07

Thread Information