Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lookin for a BMW sedan, need some recomendations...

hey, well here comes that time of the year when the teenager gets his lisense, and wants a car. well, im planning, hopefully, to get my driver`s lisense this friday. not to get ahead of myself, the car i really want to get is a BMW. i know that everyone is gonna have their corollas and camrys and 240s, and is300s and wrx`s and supras and rx-8`s (i go to a private school :\), but i want to have my very own BMW....

my parents have agreed on this. ive saved about $15k over the last 5 years for a car. they said i pay half, and they pay half, cover my insurance, and my gas . so... basically im looking for a used BMW in hawaii, thats under $30,000, 4 door sedan, prefrebably automatic transmitton, and a light blue (though any color will do), and it at most, 6 years old.

any reccomendations to what model i should get? im thinkin the 3 series, because all of the other series are above 30k . i have my eye on the 325i and the 325 ci, but im not quite sure which one i want to take. heres a link to sorta show you my options thus far...

http://www.cars.com/go/index.jsp?aff=honolulu
    make: bmw
    model: all
    price range: 0 - 30,000
    search within 250 miles of 96813

PS: hey chris, feel like selling me your mom`s 745i for $21,000?
    Last edited by zesty-man; 05-17-2004 at 02:32 AM.
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

No Woolpad Butchers Here! EZ Boy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    3 or 5 series, whatever the budget allows but heed this: GET THE BIGGEST CAPACITY ENGINE YOU CAN AFFORD! The beamers are silky smooth straight sixes running the rear and supercharge very easily. Lots of aftermarket bolt-on goodies. Maybe an option to import a unit from the mainland: more competitive market and more to choose from. If you`re after a 3series aim for a four door. Sure a coupe still has four seats but, the four door big engine cars have stronger resale. The coupes are generally regarded as poverty packs esp 316 compacts etc. Good hunting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zesty, you have had the maturity to save so much for so long and youre a teenager? wow. no wonder your parents will go half with you on a BMW. i would too, that would make me so proud as a parent. i am hopeful I will be able to encourage shorty (5yrs old now ) to be like you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, it`s awesome that you saved that much! Anyway, I`m not too big on used cars, so here`s my take: I priced out a brand new 2004 325i with the STEPTRONIC auto trans ($1275), moonroof ($1050) and bi-xenon headlights ($700), these are just some of the options that I like, and the MSRP came out to be: $31,820. Metallic paint is an extra $475 if you decide to go away with the black, white or red. The CarsDirect.com price for your zip code says you can get it for: $30,620 (without metallic paint). Of course, tax, title and license will cost you (I wasn`t sure if you had already factored that into your 30k price.) I know it`s a bit over your limit, but it`s just a suggestion. I`m also not too sure how you feel about driving in an almost stripped down BMW though.

If you decide to get a used one, I`d suggest a 2001+ 3-series, since that`s when they made some good changes, especially since the introduction of the 330i. I`d keep away from the 1999 models, some are good but others had their share of problems.

Good luck with deciding on your car, it`s fun picking out your first car!

Post Thanks / Like
    I shopped around for a BMW in early 2004, and priced a new black/black 325i with a 5 speed at $30k out the door. The car was the basic model (no HIDs, no moonroof, no leather, only 16" rims), but that same model continues to do well in comparison tests. I really liked the 325i, but heard it`s going to be redesigned soon, and I kept hitting the rev limiter on the test drive so I wanted a little more hp.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought (like weeks ago) a 325xi (that`s all-wheel drive) and paid just over 30k. I got a bit of a `stripper`, manual seats, no sunroof, no leather seats. It satisfied the `practical half` of me, even though I could have bought a loaded 330 (i`m a 40 year old fart).

I got a manual, you could drop the all-wheel drive, add the steptronic, and probably be at the same price point.

Anyway my point is you might consider a new one. I absolutely love it - it`s like driving a go-kart the way you can toss it around the corners. Very, very fun.

Check out bmwboard.com, e46fanatics.com, and you`ll be hooked!

Post Thanks / Like
    One more comment, you can order exactly what you want from the factory like I did, but the 8 week wait will absolutely kill you

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Zesty, Good idea to get a BMW.

I drive a 330 XI (AWD version of the 3 series sedan). I have to be honest and say it isn`t mine, but I do detail it alot (Family, we all love that word).

To be honest, its amazing that you saved that much money overtime, but are you really willing to spend that much money on a luxury car? What do you really want? Sportiness? Luxury? A car to learn? Just the name of a BMW? How many years do you have until college? Are you sure your willing to use your entire balance on a car?

If you want the real deal on power, 330 NO question. If you want true sportiness, get the CI with a Manual or I with a Manual.

If you just want the car and are willing to risk learning on it, 325 with Auto is great.

In my opinion, I think you should rethink on buying the car. Gas prices are going up, insurance is a pain, and you could easily get in an accident. I don`t think your gonna NOT detail it :LOLOL

You can always use your money on detailing products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Woob`s advice is well spoken (except for the $30k on detailing products). My first car was a 66 Mustang which my mother bought for $400. It had a 6 cyl, and power nothing. It was good on gas, cheap on insurance, and built like a tank. Never regreted that choice, and wish I kept it.

Post Thanks / Like
    What $30 000? I must have made an error. Just take a few 0`s out of there. I wouldn`t go into the aftermarket scene, BMW sutff cost way to much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, misunderstood and now understood. I think the dealer said that a modification offered by Dinan to bump hp up another 12 hp or so on the 325i was approx. $1,800. I think I got about 5-9 hp on my G35 from a K&N filter change, and a 350z intake tube for approx. $150.

Post Thanks / Like
    :wait :wait :wait Are you joking? 400 for the Intake and installation is a pain. Dinan stuff is WAYYY overrated and EXTREMELY expensive.

If you used 1800 on just 12 HP I would kill myself. You can easily get a power kit or other parts for the Car.

I was joking about the 30 Grand. Who use that money? :-p

Post Thanks / Like
    Good points, much as I love my 325, I did wait until I was 40 (gasp) to buy one. My first car was a piece-of-youKnowWhat datsun 510 sedan.

You might look into insurance too. I read about guys on the bmw boards paying $4800, even $6k per year. For married old me, I pay less than $800 per year.

Decisions, decisions....

Post Thanks / Like
    I was quoted $1,300 on the 325i for a year and that was with no blemishes on my record and the multiple car (3) discount. BTW - I`m no spring chicken, so I`m probably in the low risk category too.

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe i should have been a little bit more specific on this... let my clarify

as of now, im a sophmore, meaning that i should have it for two more years. after i go to college, my mom said that shes plannning to drive it. also, i want to get a used BMW, because its all i can really afford. i dont think my parents will approve of me getting a new car. power is not a necessity for me, in fact, i think my mom would rather have me driving a pretty slow car, if you catch my drift. also, im not really looking for a "sports car", because the insurance is gonna murder me. also, im not really lookng for anything after market, however i really wanted to get leather. the sunroof doesnt matter to me...

im not the type of guy to go out racing and stuff, but rather just crusing around, and maybe getting some girls, he he he. i pretty much already know how to drive and such, and im gonna try to get my lisense. so, the car isnt really for learning. its for enjoying a smooth drive, looking stylish.

a question: is the 325C, and the 325CI considered a "sports sedan"? thanks. no more posting for me tonite, i gotta study for my math and science (my two hardest classes) finals... however, i may manage to sneak back on.
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information