Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-03-2014

Default Chrome Wheels, Vinyl Stripes & Shaker

With respect to the chrome wheels, are there any Mothers' products (particularly tire polishes/waxes) I should avoid?

As far as the vinyl stripes go, are there any precautions I need to take with any of these products? What's the "least-amount-of-work" solution given that the exterior of the car has painted after-market parts, an aluminum Shaker, chrome emblems, and vinyl stripes (ingot silver)? Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 06-04-2014

Default Re: Chrome Wheels, Vinyl Stripes & Shaker

IF you use the proper products on chrome you will be fine. Products for chrome such as California Gold chrome polish would hepl maintain the chrome for a long time. It never hurts to apply a coat of wax on them to help cleaning them easier as well as sleaing up the shine. For wheel cleaner either chrome wheel cleaner or foaming wheel & tire cleaner would be fine. The benefit of foaming wheel & tire cleaner is that it cleans the tires to prep them for your favorite tire dressing.

On vinyl, some tips that I read is to tape of the edges when waxing so you avoid wax residue. If the vinyl is glossy a fine polish would be fine as well as a coat of wax or even spray wax. The same goes for emblems. Tape them off to avoid any wax residue from getting on them. If you do happen to get it on the emblems, simply wipe off before the wax dries.

What do you mean about after market painted parts? If they are painted and clear coated like the OEM paint then you can treat them like the OEM paint.
Old 06-05-2014

Thank you for your response.

With respect to the aftermarket parts, I am at least a smidge concerned about the rear window louver. Unlike the quarter window louver, the rear window louver came from the manufacturer with a coating already applied (it isn't really meant to be painted, but I wanted the glossy black look rather than the flat black you see).
Old 06-07-2014

I am not sure about that aftermarket part. Hopefully someone chimes in to get you the correct answer.