Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 05-28-2014

Red face 2 part question

1. Would chrome polish be the proper product to clean/protect the chrome plated aluminum trim surrounding my windows? What would be recommended for the matte black aluminum pilars between the side and back quarter windows?

2. What would be the proper product to use on my valve covers which are powdercoated with a "wrinkle black" finish? I'm assuming a plastic/vinyl protectant would be suitable for all the plastics under the hood, but all the powdercoated products (valve covers, timing cover, brackets, etc..) have me scratching my head. Also, the power steering resevoir is aluminum.

Couple pics for reference...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0923121303-1.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	1861   Click image for larger version

Name:	1105121119a.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	639.7 KB
ID:	1862  

Last edited by LSCmuscle; 05-28-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-29-2014

Default Re: 2 part question

I will do my best to anser your questions.

Are the chrome pillars trully chrome? Some cars can sometimes have plastic that appears to be chrome. If this is the case then plastic polish would work on it followed by a coat of wax. If they are really chrome then chrome polish would be the way to go. You could even add a coat of wax for protection.

On the matte pieces I would think a cleaner wax would be ok to use. That should clean them up nicely and leave behind some protection. If they are clear coated pieces then just treat them like the cars paint.

For the engine bay I am not sure what would be the proper product for those powder coated pieces. I would think just a wipe down with some spray wax or detail spray would be all you need, at least on the smooth items. Not sure about the valve covers. The plastic trim pieces would benefit from being dressed with protectant. You could take it up a notch and use the new back to black trim cleaner to clean them and then apply the protectant.

There are a couple products available for that aluminum part.
California Gold Metal Polish
Mag & Aluminum polish
Old 05-29-2014
Administrator

I'll disagree a tad.

Chrome Polish for the chrome, Protectant for underhood and wrinkle black (or Back-to-Black Trim Restorer or Reflections Tire Care), and Mag & Aluminum Polish for the power steering reservoir.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 05-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
I will do my best to anser your questions.

Are the chrome pillars trully chrome? Some cars can sometimes have plastic that appears to be chrome. If this is the case then plastic polish would work on it followed by a coat of wax. If they are really chrome then chrome polish would be the way to go. You could even add a coat of wax for protection.

On the matte pieces I would think a cleaner wax would be ok to use. That should clean them up nicely and leave behind some protection. If they are clear coated pieces then just treat them like the cars paint.

For the engine bay I am not sure what would be the proper product for those powder coated pieces. I would think just a wipe down with some spray wax or detail spray would be all you need, at least on the smooth items. Not sure about the valve covers. The plastic trim pieces would benefit from being dressed with protectant. You could take it up a notch and use the new back to black trim cleaner to clean them and then apply the protectant.

There are a couple products available for that aluminum part.
California Gold Metal Polish
Mag & Aluminum polish
I thought it was aluminum or pot metal underneath the chrome trim, however I was informed by a member on another forum that they are magnetic. Either way their not plastic so chrome polish it is.

Also, I thought you were suppose to keep wax/cleaner wax off non cleared surfaces (matte black vertical pillars between the windows) due to it staining? If cleaner wax is fine I'll just use the small bottle that came with my clay bar kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin;29234a
I'll disagree a tad.

Chrome Polish for the chrome, Protectant for underhood and wrinkle black (or Back-to-Black Trim Restorer or Reflections Tire Care), and Mag & Aluminum Polish for the power steering reservoir.
Even though the valve covers are powdercoated you would recommend protectant? Not trying to second guess your wisdom, just thought that it was for plastics/vinyl?

What would your recommendation be for the vertical matte black pilars between the windows?

Big thanks to both of you for your time and input.
Old 05-30-2014

Great. You will like the chrome polish. It works great. I'm not certain on those matte pieces. Hopefully someone can chime in and answer that for you.
Old 05-30-2014

Say,

I know I'm a little late here, but this is really interesting.

A lot of people see what they think looks like chrome, but is not magnetic, so they think it's just like paint or plastic that is coloured to look like chrome.

These days, (and I understand this will be difficult to believe) but it actually is chrome that is bonded to the plastic trim.

In actuality, it is referred to as BMOP, (Bright Metal On Plastic) and I can immediately see furrowed brows wondering why Tony is delving into Science Fiction. Far from it.

It interested me enough way (way) back in July 2007 to go and do some research, and then work up a Thread here at the Mothers site on just that.

The link to that Thread and accompanying Posts is as follows.

Chrome

The advantage here is weight. Chrome over metal like in the early days is really heavy, so now, bonding the chrome to plastic results in a pretty large weight saving.

My advice here would be that Chrome Polish OR Plastic Polish would both do the trick.

Keep in mind that the Chrome is incredibly thin, both on the early metal, and now on Plastic. Being so thin, there is always the thought that you may actually rub the chrome bonding away from the plastic.

Not true at all. The chrome is just that ..... Chrome, and being so hard, all you would be doing would be cleaning the surface on that chrome.

I know it's hard to believe, but go and read the Post. It was just so interesting as I did the (couple of days and numerous sites) research.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 05-31-2014

On the vertical pieces, you can use Spray Wax. The problem with these surfaces is they show scratches easily
Old 06-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnot View Post
On the vertical pieces, you can use Spray Wax. The problem with these surfaces is they show scratches easily
Thanks for the tip.
Closed Thread