Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 09-14-2013

Default Cleaning/replacing pads

Usually I wash my Lake Country (LC) pads immediately after use but recently I've accumulated several pads that haven't been washed a couple of months since they were used (they have either wax or polish Mothers brand, of course). They're presently soaking in a basin of water with Dawn soap. I was wondering how safe it is to use these pads again? How often are pads supposed to be replaced? Again, these LC pads have been graced with Mother products only and I use them with a random orbital.
Old 09-14-2013

Default Re: Cleaning/replacing pads

If you can get them clean, they should be fine to use.
Old 09-14-2013

Thanks abnot. I'm just used to squeezing out pasty residue of leftover product when I clean them. I saw nothing of the sort today. Then again, I don't know if I any pads saw heavy use or if I just used them for some spot polishing and waxing.

If I let a pad that was loaded with product, sit to dry for several days, then clean it by soaking in Dawn soap, would the product that was in the pad become gooey again, or will it have broken down into a powdery state that is then easily liquified by being soaked in water? If the latter, I would say it is a much easier way of cleaning pads. Instead of struggling with squeezing out fresh product out of the pads, let them sit and dry up first.
Old 09-15-2013

I take the pads and spray them with an all purpose cleaner as I finished with them and let them sit. When I am all done detailing for the day, I will then clean them (use a little more APC )and let them dry on grit guards. Dawn is ok but find it a bit harder to rinse out than all purpose cleaners.