Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-14-2012

Default Reflections Top Coat

If I use the California Gold Wax you folks sell, can I apply this top coat over the waxed finish? My meaning, will it help it shine greater than just the wax shine the CG would leave? Its a white "frosted" paint, will it give it that wet, deep finish? I wouldn't need to buff the finish after applying the Top Coat, right?
Old 06-17-2012

Default Re: Reflections Top Coat

It's OK to apply top coat over California gold wax. It has no cleaners whatsoever, so it won't remove the wax underneath the top coat, and you apply it like any other wax. Apply a thin layer, let dry to a haze, then buff off the hazed wax. As for adding depth to white, it will be very difficult to add any depth to light colored cars. You can add top coat for extra protection, but you should try it a small area first to see if the difference is big enough for you to want to add top coat to the entire car. It MAY mute the brightness or crispness of the paint, especially silvers and other light colored cars
Old 06-17-2012

Thank you ffboy, will maybe try a small section,then see how that looks, then decide. I might forego buying any of the Reflections, depending on how it looks.
Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2012

I apply top coat for more protection and to a lesser extent, looks. I used it before on silver, and I honestly like it. It does slightly change the look, i used it on top of Fx synwax liquid it does give a richer look. So if you ask me, I would still use Top coat but as with reflections car wax, it is an optional step
Old 06-19-2012

Check this post out: Quick Question about FX and 3 step
page 2, post #27.

On the silver car, i used FX Synwax liquid and reflections top coat combo, on the red car, Carnauba cleaner wax and reflections top coat.

This was way back in 2010.

Hope it helps you decide!
Old 06-19-2012
Administrator

Jim,

For clarification, if by "California Gold Wax" you mean our California Gold Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax or our California Gold Synthetic Wax, yes, you can apply Top Coat on top of either one for added protection. Top Coat has no cleaners and won't harm the wax applied previously; similarly, you could apply our California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax, which is more readily available on retail shelves, and also has no cleaners.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 06-19-2012

The wax I have is the Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax, I didn't see the Gold Synthetic Wax when I bought this other wax. Possibly I can return this other, its never been used, then see if they have the other mentioned. I really appreciate the help you folks give, really helps one who's not in the "professional mode" if you will. I just want my investment to look good, your products and this forum have sure opened my eyes!
Old 06-19-2012

Also, does one need to use a buffer, for that "extra" pop after using the Top Coat? Or, just leave well enough alone? Thanks
Old 06-19-2012
Administrator

You don't need a buffer, but sometimes it makes it easier to apply.

We always recommend removing the "haze" by hand with a microfiber or plush cotton terry towel; don't use a buffer to remove.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 06-19-2012

Thank you sincerely for your help, just want this wax job to be the best!
Old 06-19-2012

If I get PC orbital polisher, how does one attach the "black" pads for applying the polish/wax? Are these velcro'd on? Are there any specific speeds for applying the waxes? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-19-2012
Mothers® Polish

You'll need a velcro backing plate - they're available from a variety of sources.

A wax (without any cleaners) with a finishing pad can be applied at a lower speed - a 2 works well. The higher speeds are useful in letting polishes do their work, or in removing defects.
Old 06-19-2012

Thanks, I appreciate your time and knowledge!
Closed Thread