Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 02-18-2012

Question Headlight Restoration

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum! I just bought the Mothers Headlight Restoration Kit, i used it and my headlights were bad but not really bad. Anyways, i followed the instructions , tried the power ball with the cream on it, it didn't work, than i tried the sanding part, and i kept it wet at all times like it said, but it looks worse than it did before! It doesn't look really white, but it has all scratches i was viewing others posts on here and theres seem to be excellent! Am I doing something wrong? HELP!

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2012
Administrator

Default Re: Headlight Restoration

Welcome to Wax Forum!

The process can take extra care when sanding to remove the oxidized layer -- you have to sand thoroughly with pad side #1 to remove that oxidized layer, then follow with pad side #2 to remove the sanding scratches at each step, all the way through to pad #4 -- then polish again at high speed.

If you can post some photos, that would be helpful to guide you along the way. I'll also PM you an email address where you can email them if it's easier, and handling your case by email will probably be much more efficient.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 02-18-2012

Thanks for reply, i went back and did the lights again, i looked further into this forum and found a reply that you said to someone, it said for pad #1- 1 min, pad #2- 2 mins, pad #3- 4 mins, pad #4= 8 mins , I followed that and got the spray bottle and kept it well lubricated, i did the power ball with the cream, it still didn't come out good. I attached 2 pictures, of the same side, it was dark and just a cell phone picture but you can see what I'm talking about, in the picture you can't see but theres the scratches from doing the "t" pattern with each pad side.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grimsby-20120218-00203.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	1728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grimsby-20120218-00204.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	1729  
Old 02-18-2012
Administrator

Thanks for responding to our email and for posting photos of your BMW's headlights.

These are a bit of a chore and require extensive sanding.

We'll be in touch by email with some additional instructions on how to proceed.

Old 02-18-2012
Administrator

I should clarify that you can't go by minutes -- that reference may have been for an entirely different type of headlight lens.

You have to go by however long it takes to remove the factory coating with pad #1. On a lens like yours, it would be at least 15 minutes and maybe double that -- the BMWs are a challenge. Once you have the original coating removed, then you follow with pad #2.

The factory BMW lenses like this can get very, very pitted as well as oxidized.

We'll be in touch by email on a specific solution for you.

Old 05-16-2012

Wink Re: Headlight Restoration

Mother's headlight restoration did improve the clarity of the headlights of my 2005 Dodge Caravan but it isn't as clear as advertised. It took several hours not minutes and the full kit had to be used. Forget about using the polish by hand you'll NEVER get it done. IN LARGE print the instruction should say 2000 rpm drill REQUIRED!!! Any less will not get THE JOB DONE!!!
Old 05-16-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Mother's headlight restoration did improve the clarity of the headlights of my 2005 Dodge Caravan but it isn't as clear as advertised. It took several hours not minutes and the full kit had to be used. Forget about using the polish by hand you'll NEVER get it done. IN LARGE print the instruction should say 2000 rpm drill REQUIRED!!! Any less will not get THE JOB DONE!!!
Overall, and up until recent years, the Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep lenses are the biggest challenge.

We've come up with some special recommendations for problem lenses which we make on a case-by-casel basis if you give us a call at 800-221-8257.

Old 07-06-2012

Hi... Got the Restoration kit for Fathers Day and gave it a go today.... I have the same experience as mercedesmlgl above...Any tips or tricks for me to try. 2005 Ford 500 with some highway pitting on lenses. I did only the right side and it almost looks worse than the left.
Old 07-06-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vnaz500 View Post
Hi... Got the Restoration kit for Fathers Day and gave it a go today.... I have the same experience as mercedesmlgl above...Any tips or tricks for me to try. 2005 Ford 500 with some highway pitting on lenses. I did only the right side and it almost looks worse than the left.
If you still have pitting and discoloration, you need to sand more with Pad #1 -- this is the most critical step, and it must be done thoroughly and evenly before moving on to #2-#3-#4.

Post or email some photos to jimd@mothers(dot)com

Old 07-17-2012

Thanks.. I took a total of 90 minutes running through the pads 1 to 4 following the directions faithfully and buffing with the sponge ball. While the pitting is reduced, the lens is smooth, the clarity is really no better than when I began. I can't really say it is restored or improved. Certainly no better than when I used a competing product the first time hand rubbed with a cloth.
Old 07-17-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vnaz500 View Post
Thanks.. I took a total of 90 minutes running through the pads 1 to 4 following the directions faithfully and buffing with the sponge ball. While the pitting is reduced, the lens is smooth, the clarity is really no better than when I began. I can't really say it is restored or improved. Certainly no better than when I used a competing product the first time hand rubbed with a cloth.
Clarity issues usually mean you've got a damaged layer remaining -- in other words, you didn't sand enough with Pad #1 to remove that layer, or you didn't sand enough with Pads #2-#4 to remove the sanding scratches before polishing -- or both.

Please send some photos to jimd@mothers(dot)com or post them here and we'll help you from there.

Some lights can be a challenge, most all can be restored with our kit, and some tips on technique can help, but it is very helpful to know where you're at exactly.

If you can't provide photos, please call our office at 714-891-3364 or 800-221-8257 and ask for Jim D. or Neisan.

Closed Thread