Post Thanks / Like

Question Engine Detailing

I am planning to have the rear main seal repaired on my 95 Volvo 940. After it is done I want to detail the engine to remove the oil and road grime. I don`t know what engine parts to cover though. I have a liquid degreaser that I bought from a Pro Wax distributor. Do I need to protect the paint when I use the degreaser? Any suggestions? I do have a pressure washer to really get the dirt out. I am planning to use the lowest pressure tip. I am really concerned that I will short out something. Also, is it better to do it with the engine compartment warm or cold? Warm seems like the way to go to really get it clean.
    Experte credite: Illigitimati non carborundum

Post Thanks / Like
    To start off, run the engine to get it just warm helps to get the grease off and the water will dry faster. I`d also not use the pressure washer, a hose will do just fine. I don`t cover anything but work very careful on ther areas that might short out. Have a ton of brushes handy. Spray the degreaser, use the brushes then with a low follw of water wash off. I hate doing engines but that`s how I get them done. Then use a good enhine dressing you can get one at PAC
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    if you have an air compressor you can blow off all the water from the engine .. thats what i do .. i use a citrus cleaner then powerwash then blo dry everything . apply dressing and close the hood. when the rest of the car is done i open the hood and finish tidying it up...good luck
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol. I just did two engines recently and I loved it. It was so much fun to really get in there and clean something that has probably never been cleaned. Engines are easy because you can do as much as you want, but you can be pretty much guaranteed that it will look better. You can`t screw up on an engine, unless of course you are being a little too thorough and aggressive in your approach and you destory something vital. Sorry, that was just a little caveat for all of you who like to hit your paint up with a rotary to take care of some minor swirls on a year-old car. When working on paint, it is sometimes difficult to get the result you want. I covered the alternator on both of the cars I did. Of course, it still probably got a little water inside of it, but it didn`t receive a direct spray of water or Simple Green. If I could go out and detail an engine right now, I`d do it. But, I am just too busy with other stuff and won`t be able to detail an engine for a few weeks yet. Detailing engines is a ton of fun; I implore you to try it.
    "Aerodynamics are for people who don`t know how to build engines" - Enzo Ferrari

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I was about 15-16 I decided to clean my dad`s engine (350 in a pick up). Since it was at least 10 years old and not well cared for (I know I didn`t get this urge to clean cars from him!) I went to the car wash and used the sprayer. Do not do this. After the truck was towed home, my dad had to "bale" water out of the carb as well as the dist. cap, and dry out some other areas that my "thoroughness" got to. Since then, I`ve gotten a bucket, spray cleaner, brush, cloths, and a dressing and done everything by hand. It may take a while, but you have more control over what gets wet, and you see the area more closely so you`re not as likely to miss something.
    One more word of warning, Simple Green can react badly with aluminum. If you`ve got an aluminum valve cover, you should use a citrus cleaner or something like that. I use a car wash soap (Crystal-Glo)straight and it works great. Non-toxic, great on aluminum, and leaves a little protection behind (or so the bottle says).
    Also, you may want to wear rubber gloves. Saves your hands from the grease and the sharp things you don`t know are there.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Practice makes "PERFECT" clean4u's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do like Bemmerboy said let the engine be warm. i just use a APC and let sit 5 mins or so depending on condition of engine compartment then rinse with water. Use your favorite shine!!!! Heres a pic of my engine compartment on my 2000 Silverado.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A Clean Ride is a Happy Ride" To some its just a Ride!!!! So True!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that`s like new. How long did it take?

Practice makes "PERFECT" clean4u's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    took bout an hour, Ive had some good complaiments on it
    "A Clean Ride is a Happy Ride" To some its just a Ride!!!! So True!!!!!

Thread Information