Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 04-22-2006

Default Need protection from brush scratches (was: Hi you all! I'm new here and just...)

If anyone can tell me the best mothers wax to use on my 01 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 ? I'm off road allot as my Hobie is tracking and photographing black Bear in my area. My truck gets allot of light scratches from branches and briers and other things and I'm looking for something that will help protect it and maybe get rid of the scratches?
I love mothers wax and have used the carnuba liquid for years . It's easy to use and gives a nice shine but not much protection from the things I mentioned above. You have to keep in mind that I'm an old cager(60) and still remember the good old days old days of Simonize and hard shell turtle wax. It took all day but it lasted forever and really helped protect the finish.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks, Mike
Old 04-23-2006

Default Re: Hi you all! I'm new here and just wondering

Anyone out there?Lol. Oh well, just thought I would try this board anyway.
Old 04-23-2006

You could try California Gold scratch remover on the scratches in the paints surface, but depending on the type and depth they may be too deep for safe removal - impossible to tell without seeing how deep they are. I would then follow this with something like the 3 step system. Stage two will be good at covering/glazing any scratches and swirls that are left in the finish after the polishing stage. What ever you do, make sure you wax the finish after polishing/using the scratch remover as this product will remove any protection on the paint as it removes scratches.

Waxes only form a very thin film on the paint, so as far as they go, aren't really going to offer much protection from branches and brambles scraping against the paint, particularly if the vehicle is used off road a lot.
Old 04-23-2006
Mothers® Polish

Sorry - 16 hours ago when you posted, I was eating pizza with the kids and watching a movie.

As Roo explained, there isn't a wax made that will prevent scratches while going through the brush. Your best bet is to invest in a decent machine like a Porter Cable 7424/7336, some pads of various levels of aggressiveness, and a polish/wax combo.

You'll need to remove the scratches then wax the area to protect from climatological conditions.

If it were me, I'd buy a 7336, a velcro backing plate, some yellow, white and black pads from Lake Country, a versatile polish like our PowerPolish, and then your favorite wax.
Old 04-23-2006

Thanks for the ideas guy's and next time save me some pizza! I have a great orbital buffer that was given to me a few years back. It's Ryobie and works real nice on buffing. I will need some new pads.
The scratches are not real bad and the one's that are a little deep don't show to much . The paint is the Lunar Mist (Tacoma Silver) and it helps hide the scratches fairly well.
I'll try the Calif. Gold and the 3-step.The weather is going to be in the high 60's and low 70's for the next few days. Thanks Again, Mike
Old 04-23-2006
Mothers® Polish

It was a Kong-sized Papa John's sausage.

Not bad, but there are others I prefer. But, that's what our 12 year old wanted, so that's what I ate. And sorry, but there's none left over. There never is at our house.
Old 04-23-2006

Sounds like my house! Have fun with the kids while there young, it don't last long and the next thing you know they are off on there own. Take care, Mike
Closed Thread